Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

104 Pages«<979899100101>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#981 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 1:48:49 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Had ice fishing plans/obligations yesterday but had a couple hours early to jump on a trout stream over in Grant.

The bite was on immediately at 8:00 when we got out. Water was slightly stained and running good for mid winter.

Got a half dozen in that first hour including this nice 17+

UserPostedImage

Got this one in an upstream retrieve at a drop after already hitting the spot several times from below.

Don’t be afraid to try a spot from above after already hitting it from below. Especially when the water is turbulent as the fish hiding there in a good lie probably won’t be able to see you. I’ve caught several larger fish this way.

Got 4 of them on an all black PM, 1 on a gold and 1 on an x-rap.

Bite shut off around 9:00 and neither my buddy or I caught another till 11 or so when we gave up.

Good thing it shut off or I wouldn’t have wanted to leave for the ice.

Edited by user Sunday, February 9, 2020 1:54:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
madguy30  
#982 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 6:37:47 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Streams were in good condition in the Westby area. Had a few fish visit. Saw a few rising although mid-afternoon there wasn't much going on.

Felt fine out as long as the sun was out and/or I was out of the wind.

Might head out to the Viola area in March or so; gonna need to wait for the snow to clear out.

Colorado to MN  
#983 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 12:19:34 AM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The conditions in Pierce county today were very good. Despite some ice shelves, fishing was excellent. I got the water around 10, just when the midges started popping. A size 20 zelon Midge was the ticket. Dry fly fishing in February is an awesome experience. I tried hard with streamers, but there wasn't much activity. I did get a very large trout to give a half-hearted take, but didn't commit.

Overall, I was really impressed with the size of the fish I caught. Lots of fish up to 16", and ended the day with around twenty fish. The winter season has been incredible.i hope everyone else is getting to enjoy it.
rschmidt  
#984 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 1:08:37 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 56 post(s)
From my locations, it's been a rough start. Water on Sat was 32.5 to 33.1F Brrrr. I found some brookies. Yesterday was a 2 fish day. Famous places were packed, with not much success from the guys I talked with. We shall see what today brings, I am off for Prez day. Will get out before the melt, but I must just be fishing the wrong places...so far!

R
Gurth  
#985 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 3:46:12 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Ron - I've had similar results although I haven't really been trying all that hard.

I've definitely lost my drive for winter trout fishing – it's not that I couldn't find them… I just don't care to when there are other things to do and when I know that better fishing is just around the corner.

On Saturday, I joined some buddies for a sled ride down the Blue watershed – Montfort to Muscoda.

Three years ago, I would have been fishing it instead. No way I would have taken a free day for anything but trout fishing.

Had to stop for a selfie over the Blue at one of the holes that I've fished a bunch. Water looks high and cold btw.

UserPostedImage

Also passed over Sand Branch at a bridge that I've accessed before.

Was my first time sledding over that way and was a cool experience to see the uber-familiar valleys from a different perspective.

Did get out Sunday morning for a couple of hours before I had to skedaddle home and caught 5 cookie cutter browns.

Meh.

The hoar frost was beautiful tho…

UserPostedImage
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
JGF  
#986 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 7:20:41 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Ron - I've had similar results although I haven't really been trying all that hard.

I've definitely lost my drive for winter trout fishing – it's not that I couldn't find them… I just don't care to when there are other things to do and when I know that better fishing is just around the corner.

Definitely where I am too. If there are nice days, I'll sneak out for a few hours but 2 to maybe 4 hours is more than enough to hit the sweet spot before runoff cools the stream down yet is late enough that a bit of sun warms up the shallows.

Depending upon the year, somewhere between mid-March and mid-April, things get a whole lot more interesting.

NBrevitz  
#987 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 9:36:20 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 66 post(s)
I just don’t have the drive to fish right now. I’ve gotten so into the trophy Brookie game that it’s basically all I do. Unfortunately, everything I fish for them is frozen up very hard right now, or the fish are wintering downstream of there in frozen streams.

It’s hard for me to get excited about cookie cutter Brookies when I’ve got my sled and thousands of lakes to fish. Throw in the fact that I just don’t fish for Brown Trout anymore, and I doubt I’ll be out more than once or twice until mid-March.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
rschmidt  
#988 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 3:37:04 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

I was off for presidents' day today and I have had some epic Prez days. The place I wanted to go was frozen solid. 2nd stop, way slow. Third stop was good, 5 mins from the house. Fun times. I'll keep fishing, one day I won't be able so I get out when I can! Happy Fishing, it's even for old guys and even brookie snobs!! Hahahaha R

Edited by user Tuesday, February 18, 2020 3:38:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Life of Riley  
#989 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 6:35:30 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
I just don’t have the drive to fish right now. I’ve gotten so into the trophy Brookie game that it’s basically all I do. Unfortunately, everything I fish for them is frozen up very hard right now, or the fish are wintering downstream of there in frozen streams.

It’s hard for me to get excited about cookie cutter Brookies when I’ve got my sled and thousands of lakes to fish. Throw in the fact that I just don’t fish for Brown Trout anymore, and I doubt I’ll be out more than once or twice until mid-March.

As a hypothetical, do you think if you could try a stream right now with big brook trout you could catch some? I'm just asking because I notice that in some of Ron's videos I've seen, he seems to catch the big brook trout in the summer and fall only.
rschmidt  
#990 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 12:31:52 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

I would say the brook trout is a bit more migratory than browns. Also, in general the push toward spawn will concentrate fish in communities which also increases the size distribution. And last, things consistently change from year to year. I get to many new streams each year, sometimes there are unexpected surprises, but I have seen brook trout in decline the past few years where I fish. Happy Fishing, you can't catch any from the couch! Hahahaha