Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages «<78910>
TROUTSTOCK 2017 MEGA THREAD Options
TheFadingAngler
#81 Posted : Thursday, June 08, 2017 5:52:06 PM

Incidentally, I have a new GoPro that I'm itching to play with. So if anybody wants a camera dude following them around...

Hoping to get to the campground between 6 and 7.
trapper
#82 Posted : Thursday, June 08, 2017 10:14:26 PM

Made it to the Trimbelle

BEER ME!!!!
5:15 Thursday
Get Reel

trapper
#83 Posted : Friday, June 09, 2017 12:43:31 PM

Peaceful evening last night.
Thanks for the outing, NBrivitz
Get Reel

shebs
#84 Posted : Friday, June 09, 2017 4:29:06 PM

Work kept me a bit, but I should be rolling into gas lite about 2
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
shebs
#85 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 1:48:44 AM

Thanks to all who showed up this weekend! Fishing was good, beers and bullshitting was good. ThumpUp
Pics to come when I have the energy to upload them.
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
vmthtr in Green Bay
#86 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 11:57:35 AM

Had a great time. Really good fishing with Ron and the get together Friday and Saturday. Missed staying dry Sunday by about 15 minutes. Hail and rain, but fishing was great before.
Mark Dahlquist
#87 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 3:55:48 PM

Delicious browns! Thanks for the fillets Ron. Next year we need to do a bigger fish fry.

-Mark
Board Owner

NG_Trout
#88 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 8:31:11 PM

Sounds like it was a lot of fun. Hoping I can make next years.
- Hope is not a strategy
shebs
#89 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 9:51:11 PM

vmthtr in Green Bay wrote:
Had a great time. Really good fishing with Ron and the get together Friday and Saturday. Missed staying dry Sunday by about 15 minutes. Hail and rain, but fishing was great before.

Did you fish that easement Nick and I suggested?
shebs
#90 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 3:20:45 AM

Troutstock report:

Rolled in Friday afternoon, sat around and drank some beers with Trap and Nick until I thought it was late enough to go catch the evening bite on the Kinni - got my limit for dinner on a fairly un-pressured section (they do exist if you're willing to hike!) in a couple hours, and made my way back to Gas Lite for cheese curds and lots of delicious trout.

Saturday I woke up at 530 somehow despite drinking about 3 too many beers and mining other board members for secret spots once everyone was good and drunk... Razz

I usually use troutstock weekends as a chance to fish water that's even further away from home than I usually fish - I'm not quite on Bill's level, but driving an hour to an hour and a half is usually my (self-imposed) limit - so I decided to drive that distance from camp to check out some new water that held promise. I was not disappointed, and may just end up making the 2 plus hour drive to fish it again in the near future. Video here -Ron's YouTube - but read my post first LOL BigGrin
Got to the drop in bridge and suited up, started doing the usual perfunctory casts around the bridge. Couple little swipes, and then lost a decent 10ish brookie at my feet. Started thinking that today might be a good day. Next cast to the top of the bridge hole produced a solid strike, and a the fish ran straight at me. Reeling as fast as I could to avoid losing him, he suddenly turned back upstream and I realized I had more than just a decent fish. 15" brookie 5 minutes in to the 2 mile section...this should be a good day!

The colors were much darker than that image seems - the sunlight must have been playing with the camera's white balance. This other image shows the color a bit better, but I was struggling to keep hold of the fish so it's not exactly the best photo...he jumped from my hands and back into the water about 3 seconds later. That stupid grin on my face is the "I just caught a 15 under the bridge, can you imagine what's ahead?" look.

We dinked and dunked our way through a very tight and brushy section of the stream, picking off a few small brookies under timber, in corner pools, and from the trunks of trees on the bank. Lots of crawling under trees growing across the stream, trying not to step into the over-waders holes that were surprisingly common in this small stream. Eventually we broke out of the wooded section and found ourselves in a nice open section with just tall grass on the banks - and lots of really deep undercuts. Most the of the longer runs had cut banks, and running the spinners along every cut made for slow progress, but it was occasionally VERY rewarding. This would be a fun stream to fish hoppers in a August, I bet.

Things seemed to slow down considerably for about an hour, and we considered bailing out and checking a different stream. Fish seemed lazy and were just nipping and swiping - not surprising considering it was 90 degrees, close to noon, and not a cloud in the sky. Ron wanted to go a couple more bends before calling it quits, and thankfully we pressed on. He pulled this nice 14 incher from a waist deep cut - I was standing about 5 feet behind him, and the fish ran downstream. He stopped it to turn it back right in front of me so I could net it, and it came unhooked while I had my net underneath it - kind of miraculous that we got it at all. 3:25 if you watch the video Razz

Kept on marching, despite the abundance of missed strikes and fish lost at our feet. From about 11 until 2, the fish were very tentative. Lots of fish, but most were barely hooked, if it all. But we knew there were quality fish around, and were midway between the entrance and exit bridges, so we were committed. Eventually the bite started to pick up - I didn't see any bugs or risers, but I figure there was probably something emerging, because the bite went from sporadic and light to constant and aggressive. Lots of fish hitting as we were lifting the spinner from the water or figure-8'ing at our feet.

I cane-poled this fish out from under a log less than 5 feet in front of me. In one fluid motion I set the hook and laid him down in the grass because I didn't even have enough line out from my rod tip to net him.

15.5". So close to that magic number...
And I wasn't done yet. Pulled another 15" from the top of a cut-bank run less than 300 yards upstream of the last big fish.

If you look closely, you can see the #9 hammered/silver PM in his mouth. I caught fish from 3"-15.5" on that. Go big or go home, hardware guys Flapper

I can't even tell you how many fish we ended up catching, but it was certainly 30+ each. 4 fish over 14", 4 between 9-12 on the stringer, many more of that size released, and a pile of sardines.

A storm was forecast Sunday mid-morning, so we had to plan our outing with the ability to get the hell out on a moment's notice. Ended up fishing an eased stretch of a fairly popular stream, and didn't have incredible success. A few decent browns about 12, a couple small brookies, and one nice brown (~16) lost at my feet.
We knew the storm was coming around 10, so I was anxiously watching the sky and the clock. It's an eerie feeling to be fishing from 7-9 AM and have it getting darker like you're fishing from 7-9 PM...eventually it got so dark I had to take off my polarized sunglasses - shortly after, we decided it was time to go. Got back to the parking spot just as it started to sprinkle. Made it less than a mile down the road before the sky opened up. Had to drive 30 mph due to the heavy rain and 60+ mph winds. Eventually had to pull over when it started hailing. Nothing more than pea sized, fortunately - but we just barely dodged that bullet. Small hail in a car isn't so bad, but it doesn't feel good on your skull...trust me. Razz

After the storm passed, we checked out some water nearby, and everything was chocolate. Ron called it a day, and I decided to drive to an area that looked to have gotten less rain. Arrived at a stream that usually runs gin clear and very tough to fish under normal conditions, and found it was running with a nice stain. 2-3 foot visibilty, and overcast sky - so I went for it. My first three casts into the bridge hole landed me three fish. I've fished this stream dozens of times, and had probably caught three fish in this hole before Sunday. I knew it was gonna be good.
Worked my way along fairly quickly, as I knew another round of rain was coming at some point later in the day. Fish were charging out from every stick, log, and undercut to slash at whatever went by. Lots if missed hookups, but I was catching a lot more fish than I usually do. probably 40-50 in three hours. It's a small stream, so nothing was particularly large...best brown was ~14, brook ~11.

Eventually came to a long run that almost always holds a quality fish or two.

Had what felt like the strongest strike of the day, but it didn't hook up. I was bummed, because I figured that was my one chance at a big boy. Next cast yielded another aggressive strike, but the fish was a lot smaller than I thought based on the power of the initial hit. I was bummed until I got it in the net and realized it was no ordinary trout.

After that I figured the weekend couldn't get any better, so I finished what was left of that stretch, walked back to my car, drank a beer while I talked to the cows in the field by my car, lazily casted in the bridge hole, and drove home. LOL

TroutStock 2017 was a success in my book. ThumpUp