Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
taion  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 5:03:41 PM(UTC)
taion

Man

What can you tell me about Scott rods. Looking at getting a 9' 5W. I want an American made rod. Had an Avid I tried last spring was incredibly disappointed with the wood reel seat coming apart on two different rods.

Thanks
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
Sponsor
DanE  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 5:32:37 PM(UTC)
DanE

I don't have any, but a friend has 2 and he loves them. I have 2 Sage rods and you can't go wrong with them as an American made rod either.
trapper  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 6:12:37 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Driftless Angler fly shop endorses them a lot.
Personally have not cast one.
I would have to be totally impressed before I spend the money over an Echo Base 8ft 4wt at $89 full retail with lifetime satisfaction.

Learn to hit a paper plate at 30 feet first.
Get Reel
weiliwen  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 6:48:01 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
+1 on the Echo Base 8'0" 4 wt. I bought 3 4 weights looking for one that suited me. I liked the Echo better than the Redington CT or Ross Essence FC.

But I ended up getting a 7'11" Sage LL in that weight that I liked better than all of them.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Trouts  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 6:56:46 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Scott makes a good rod. Their fit and finish being the main complaint many might be critical of. I have a F2 723/4 that is a great little taper. Cork is good but the wraps leave a little something to be disired. They just don't have the attention to detail you see from someone like Winston or Thomas and Thomas. I generally like most of their tapers such as the original G series and newer G2. The radian is nice, but a little faster than I personally like. Did you like the Avid other than the reel seat issues?
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
taion  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:47:17 PM(UTC)
taion

Man

Trouts wrote:
Scott makes a good rod. Their fit and finish being the main complaint many might be critical of. I have a F2 723/4 that is a great little taper. Cork is good but the wraps leave a little something to be disired. They just don't have the attention to detail you see from someone like Winston or Thomas and Thomas. I generally like most of their tapers such as the original G series and newer G2. The radian is nice, but a little faster than I personally like. Did you like the Avid other than the reel seat issues?

I really did like the Avid. Which is why I was pissed that the reel seat was junk. I try very hard to spend my money on American made goods, where my hobby is concerned. Doubly so on stuff made in my home state.
Zugbug  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:52:19 PM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have two heavier Scott rods ( 8 and 10 wt), and really like both of them. In my opinion, the quality of the components and the workmanship are excellent. One interesting thing about Scott rods - they don't sand the blanks, so the tape marks are still on the blanks. My recollection is that Orvis used to do this, many years ago.
EddieRivard  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:58:24 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
taion wrote:
Trouts wrote:

I really did like the Avid. Which is why I was pissed that the reel seat was junk. I try very hard to spend my money on American made goods, where my hobby is concerned. Doubly so on stuff made in my home state.

I'm assuming you are talking about the Saint Croix Avid. I sent in my old 2 piece Avid for warranty last year and St. Croix replaced it with a newer 4 piece rod. The cork handle had so much filler in it that it quickly degraded in the spot where the tip of my fore finger rests when I am holding the rod. I never really developed an appreciation for good cork until I experienced bad cork. I don't know what is up with Saint Croix lately but they better get a grip on quality control before their reputation totally tanks. Other than the bad cork I really like the rod. I should probably call them and see if there is anything they can do to remedy the situation. ThumpUp
NE IA Drifter  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 9:44:14 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've cast the scott flex and really liked it. Not a huge rod guy but have cast a few rods over the last few rods. You could also find a scott radian for a discount... pretty sure those are discontinued or it could be the A4....
taion  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 4:11:01 AM(UTC)
taion

Man

EddieRivard wrote:
taion wrote:
Trouts wrote:

I'm assuming you are talking about the Saint Croix Avid. I sent in my old 2 piece Avid for warranty last year and St. Croix replaced it with a newer 4 piece rod. The cork handle had so much filler in it that it quickly degraded in the spot where the tip of my fore finger rests when I am holding the rod. I never really developed an appreciation for good cork until I experienced bad cork. I don't know what is up with Saint Croix lately but they better get a grip on quality control before their reputation totally tanks. Other than the bad cork I really like the rod. I should probably call them and see if there is anything they can do to remedy the situation. ThumpUp

Last Spring, I fished the rod for about 15 days after I received it, the Avid. When I noticed the wood was cracking I took it to the factory in Park Falls. I had to look at three others before I found one I liked with no flaws. The replacement I had out for one day and the wood in the reel seat swelled to make it unusable. So I returned the rod. Now I am looking for a replacement. I really hope St Croix, gets their act together but I am going to spend money on a fly rod some where else.