Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:33:20 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 78 post(s)
I used to have a St. Croix Rio Santos rod that I used as a backup. It was OK, fished it maybe a dozen times. I experienced no quality issues with the Rio Santos, but I ditched it as soon as I picked up the Echo Base, which casts much better and is lighter.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Noctilio  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 6:28:23 PM(UTC)
Noctilio

I have a Scott SVS 5 wt.. It has been the work horse of my rod collection for years. It casts well and is super durable. I have a lot of confidence I this rod so from my experience I would recommend Scott Rods.
GreatPyrs  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:41:43 PM(UTC)
GreatPyrs

Heard from a buddy last night that Sierra Trading Post has the 4 pc. Sage Circa at $429.99. That's about half off the regular $850.00. Still too much for my budget , but a great American Rod!
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
Trouts  
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:03:48 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
GreatPyrs wrote:
Heard from a buddy last night that Sierra Trading Post has the 4 pc. Sage Circa at $429.99. That's about half off the regular $850.00. Still too much for my budget , but a great American Rod!

While I would always suggest someone try to cast a rod before buying it sight unseen, I would really stress doing this with the Sage Circa. It is not a typical taper I think most people are used to. The tip section doesn't flex much compared to the softer butt section. Almost like they used a 6wt tip on the 5wt rod. Kinda hard to explain, but almost a parabolic like taper design. Doesn't have much power at distance (not saying that's needed around here) and will load different in close compared to a more progressive taper. It's one of those rods you really like or really don't like. I enjoy test casting the 5wt when they came out, but wasn't what I was looking for at the time.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
TheDancingMan  
#15 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2017 8:03:23 PM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Trouts wrote:
GreatPyrs wrote:

While I would always suggest someone try to cast a rod before buying it sight unseen, I would really stress doing this with the Sage Circa. It is not a typical taper I think most people are used to. The tip section doesn't flex much compared to the softer butt section. Almost like they used a 6wt tip on the 5wt rod. Kinda hard to explain, but almost a parabolic like taper design. Doesn't have much power at distance (not saying that's needed around here) and will load different in close compared to a more progressive taper. It's one of those rods you really like or really don't like. I enjoy test casting the 5wt when they came out, but wasn't what I was looking for at the time.

I can't speak for the 5 weight version of the Circa but I have the 3 weight 8'9" and the tip isn't stiff. It's a the ultimate dry fly rod, there is no comparison in the graphite world for presenting a dry fly.
Seabee1  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:06:07 PM(UTC)
Seabee1

I am really impressed by Scott rods hand made and in the good ole USA 🇺🇸 have a 8 wt tidal and hands down out performs the sage motive I will be looking at a flex for my 5 weight or maybe I get a raise and get a radian that's a pipe dream lol 😂 I have had problems with a couple of my St. Coix not the same rod that built back in the 90s I use it from North shore steelhead to BWCA pike
taion  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:59:18 AM(UTC)
taion

Man

Pulled the trigger on a 5W 9' Scott Flex. I eagerly await its arrival. Thanks for all the input fellas.ThumpUp
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
stan b  
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:15:11 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:
I used to have a St. Croix Rio Santos rod that I used as a backup. It was OK, fished it maybe a dozen times. I experienced no quality issues with the Rio Santos, but I ditched it as soon as I picked up the Echo Base, which casts much better and is lighter.

-Bill

Bill,
I have settled on an Echo base 9' 5wt.
It's like butter for me.

My theory is that rods are like golf clubs or softball bats.
They each feel and perform a bit differently.
Ones physiology plays in to the equation as well.
I've used the Echo enough now that I feel very comfortable with it.
I am pleased with distance and accuracy too.
Maybe sometime I will try a Scott, but for now........

Stan b
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
William Schlafer  
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:34:48 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 78 post(s)
For the price, it's pretty hard to beat the Echo Base. I've fished my Echo Carbon XL a half dozen times now since I bought it last fall. It's almost identical to the Base, but has a little more power in the wind. Either is a fine choice for the budget minded fisherman.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
jrgordon  
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:53:29 AM(UTC)
jrgordon

I found a (barely) used 4 wt. Loop Cross S1 on eBay for pretty cheap late last year, and after using it a couple weeks ago in SW WI, I'm convinced it's basically the perfect Driftless rod. It's sensitive for tight-line nymphing, powerful enough to turn over smaller articulated steamers and indicator rigs, and I have no doubt it will softly place the dry flies right where I need them later this spring. Paired with the Loop Opti Creek reel, it's a beautiful setup.

I use a Loop Opti Stream (5 wt.) for bigger waters like those in MI, and it's a sweet rod as well, but the 4 wt. Cross S1 kills it in the Driftless.
James G.
Instagram: @flyosophical