Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Onion River sheboygan County Options
Grooty1515
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 5:41:09 PM

So I got a fishing itch again, I have not gone to the doctor for it but I brought myself out to the Stream on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. I'm from the Milwaukee area currently and was looking for some Waters that are a little bit closer to home that I could do a day trip to. I stumbled Upon A DNR stream restoration project on The Onion River and decided to check it out. This stream looks awesome big boulders, undercut Banks, deep pools, fast-moving lines. After my first stop 0 fish in hand zero fish spotted. Anybody know anything about this stream and is it worth revisiting at a later date?
trapper
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 9:55:47 PM

Ya, I may know a little..
Get Reel

stan b
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 9:57:16 PM

Grooty1515 wrote:
So I got a fishing itch again, I have not gone to the doctor for it but I brought myself out to the Stream on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. I'm from the Milwaukee area currently and was looking for some Waters that are a little bit closer to home that I could do a day trip to. I stumbled Upon A DNR stream restoration project on The Onion River and decided to check it out. This stream looks awesome big boulders, undercut Banks, deep pools, fast-moving lines. After my first stop 0 fish in hand zero fish spotted. Anybody know anything about this stream and is it worth revisiting at a later date?

Today was a tough day.
I would revisit the onion.
I have it on good authority there are fish in that river!

Stan b
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Skimmer
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 10:28:05 PM

If you're not catching fish there you're doing something wrong. It is good, explore and you'll find fish
Grooty1515
#5 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 1:54:15 AM

The place looks great! I did end up seeing some fish, didnt catch any unfoutionatly. I am still pretty new the winter flyfishing game and still learning qite a bit. Also I'm working with my young pup on how there is a time and a place to be in the water! 😂

I found some nice stretches and had the wind calmed down a bit I would have explored further. I think I have the where to fish, Im pretty sure I need to continue on figuring out the winter bite more. I was running a small black bugger with a pink squirrel dropped behind, thought it would trigger some bites.

Either way thanks for the reassurance on water that was new to me!
Guillermo
#6 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 6:56:10 AM

I've had a few 20+ fish days on the Onion and I've also been skunked a few times. The streamer fishing is always good during high water and that seems to be the only time the big Browns come out of hiding.
rschmidt
#7 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 1:03:32 PM

I have been there. I have a year event in that area and have hit it several times. Browns are there. I have some video out there at youtube channel Ron Schmidt. The onion occurs in early May over the past few years. keep trying, you will like the onion. While it doesn't compare to most average driftless streams, I enjoyed it. R
draik11
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:56:34 PM

rschmidt;

Any chance you can post that video here? I'll be the guy joining Grooty1515 on the next expedition to the Onion River. I've looked through your videos and can't find the Onion River one and satellite images on Google can't seem to do it justice. Also, I love your channel, thanks for posting those!

Feel free to PM it to me if you don't want your spot spread around.
rschmidt
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:53:28 PM

https://youtu.be/Gq20XFutaps

Here is last year. R
Skimmer
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 11:45:58 PM

Just stopped by the onion on my way home from meetings in Milwaukee. There are still fish there. 6 fish in 45 minutes all out of the usual spots. Didn't get to the stream until 330. Man I miss having this creek so close to my house.