Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jfinn  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 12:03:04 PM(UTC)
jfinn

I'm trying to find a better system for organizing and keeping my flies organized. What systems do you guys use if any? I was thinking have a dry, midge, nymph and streamer box but haven't decided. What method do you use to tell how heavily weighted a fly might be? I tend to have the same size and pattern in different weights.
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 2:11:03 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I guess I have my flies in the same category boxes. I do not further organize by weight. I also have a box for lake flies and one for salmon/steelhead flies, but they don't go with me to the Driftless.

That said, I have far too many flies. I plan to get a box with four sides to it, and put each category on one side. I aim to cut down to a single box (in the summer, maybe a small one for mouse flies).
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
OTC_MN  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 2:54:07 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
A friend of mine used to say he had two fly boxes. One with flies he couldn't catch anything on, the other with flies that didn't work...

I don't think there's a perfect system. I have mayfly and caddis nymphs in one box, stones, jigs, perdigons, scuds, cranefly larvae, and other misc. subsurface beasties in another, a box for dries, and a small midge box. Contents might change depending on the time of year (not a lot of call for hoppers and beetles in February) but generally speaking that's what I lug around.

If I had an ounce of sense I'd cut that down to one nymph box and one dry box, but...
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
OTC_MN  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 2:56:43 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Oh - weighted flies. I don't get too picky about it, but for non-bead head flies where some have lead wire wraps and some don't, I just use a different color thread.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 2:58:25 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I carry anywhere from 2 to 4 fly boxes in my vest, depending up the time of the year & hatches.

I always carry this small plastic box of nymphs, scuds and of course, my Pink Squirrel arsenal. Sometimes, I carry it around even when I'm not fishing. Just because I'm weird that way... I'm sure Eddie can relate. Smile
UserPostedImage

The other box that's always in my vest is my Bugger and streamer box. Although it's contents are constantly changing and sometimes I carry a larger box for bigger patterns and articulated flies.
UserPostedImage

I also often carry a dedicated dry fly box, but I so seldom fish dries I often swap it out for other options.
UserPostedImage

I also have a dedicated terrestrial box and another with just hopper patterns. By mid-late summer, about all I fish are hoppers.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I also keep a big box of mouse, hex and other odd patterns, just in case I get the itch to chase those odd hatches. I've rarely ever pulled it out of the bag. I mostly keep it with me in case I get the urge to try something different, or I stumble across a hex hatch in progress while driving home some night.
UserPostedImage

Yeah, it's getting a little out of hand I think. And it keeps growing every week.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

And shamefully, there are a half-dozen other boxes that didn't make it into the picture.

-Bill

Edited by user Monday, February 13, 2017 4:21:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: updated photos

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
jfinn  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 7:15:32 PM(UTC)
jfinn

I have the same issue the more I tie the more boxes I need
Zugbug  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 7:32:41 PM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I try to limit the amount of stuff that I carry. More often than not, I fish dries, so I have one medium/large box of dries. I do switch patterns in and out, depending on the season. I also carry a small/slim box of nymphs, and a very small box of buggers and streamers. I do have other boxes for bass fishing and trout fishing outside of the Driftless. Even though I try to exercise some self-control, probably half of the patterns that I carry never get used.
kinni  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 11:12:37 AM(UTC)
kinni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm not a whole lot different than many others here. I carry one box with all nymphs, another with mostly caddis dries (plus some ants and beetles), one box of only Sparkle Duns (I LOVE this pattern and this box has various sizes from 14 to 20 in several different colors), one box of streamers that I really need to use more often and finally a box with one side being nymphs and the other dries (I could really just carry this one and be set, but I just love having options).
catbag  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 11:19:05 AM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Its funny how we all seem to do this. Makes me feel like a little kid again - reminiscent of re-organizing my tackle box.

I used to have them set up by bug species (caddis fly, mayfly, midges etc.) now I have switched everything for species or fish (since I've expanded from trout only); Pike/muskie, trout, bass and panfish.

Bill I like your method. Just carry a bunch of organized boxes with everything you have...you never know what might work on an off day.
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 11:33:03 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 69 post(s)
catbag wrote:
Bill I like your method. Just carry a bunch of organized boxes with everything you have...you never know what might work on an off day.

A few years back I was driving home to Milwaukee and noticed clusters of bugs on light poles, signs and bridge rails along Black Earth creek. It was a Hex hatch in progress, and of course all my big hex flies were sitting on the bench at home. Since then I carry everything, just in case.

I picked up a small gear bag from Cableas that holds about a dozen fly boxes and other spare gear. I keep it stocked and in the trunk on every trip and just pull out the boxes I need for that day. If something unexpected comes up, I can always run back to the car and grab a different box. I came up short on the shaggy Buggers that were working well last weekend. That won't happen again.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos