Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TreArrow  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:24:23 PM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

"Researchers found that non-native Brown Trout limited the ability of Brook Trout to utilize warmer stream temperatures. In contrast, removal of Brown Trout expanded Brook Trout’s reach into warmer waters."
https://www.usgs.gov/new...sive-species-native-fish

Edited by user Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:26:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:05:46 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I frankly wish Browns weren't in a lot of streams. Do you have any idea how big Brook Trout used to get in the Rush River? They averaged 2-3 lbs. It was ridiculous, same deal with the Cannon, Kinni, Whitewater, Vermillion and the Root. Absolute tanks the size of Nipigon fish could be caught. You could have fishing like that if it were not for Brown Trout. Our streams have never been as fertile as they are now, and yet this damn invasive takes over the lower end of our big rivers and pushes them out. Some of you guys complain about Pike in Trout streams, but they have never done the job that our Coldwater Carp have...
Ok, let me have it. Why are Browns better?
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
trapper  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:30:20 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
NBrevitz wrote:
I frankly wish Browns weren't in a lot of streams. Do you have any idea how big Brook Trout used to get in the Rush River? They averaged 2-3 lbs. It was ridiculous, same deal with the Cannon, Kinni, Whitewater, Vermillion and the Root. Absolute tanks the size of Nipigon fish could be caught. You could have fishing like that if it were not for Brown Trout. Our streams have never been as fertile as they are now, and yet this damn invasive takes over the lower end of our big rivers and pushes them out. Some of you guys complain about Pike in Trout streams, but they have never done the job that our Coldwater Carp have...

I enjoy both.30 years this year helping propagating wild strain Trout. FYI: Viola Sportsmans Club and Westby only do Brook Trout with Viola releasing roughly 7500 per year with help from Rockton SC.

Natural reproduction is the goal.
They will not get big when harvested at medium size.
Get Reel
shebs  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:41:21 PM(UTC)
shebs

This only reinforces my habit of harvesting browns from brookie streams Flapper

Can't wait for May... Drool

Edited by user Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:49:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
NBrevitz  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:16:20 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
trapper wrote:
NBrevitz wrote:

I enjoy both.30 years this year helping propagating wild strain Trout. FYI: Viola Sportsmans Club and Westby only do Brook Trout with Viola releasing roughly 7500 per year with help from Rockton SC.

Natural reproduction is the goal.
They will not get big when harvested at medium size.

I get that, I think keeping once they get to 12" and over is what really screws it too. Also, Brook Trout rarely make it past 6-7 years, so when they can't grow fast...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Skimmer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:44:17 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

If A brook trout is caught in Idaho it is to be killed on the spot. I guess they were doing to well out there and choking out the cutties.
Guillermo  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:28:05 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Browns are fun to catch when I can't fish for Brookies. There's something about brookies though, especially if your catching natives. When I'm on a Spring Pond up north way back in the middle of nowhere and catching the descendants of fish that have been swimming there since the Ice Age, I feel like I just stepped out of a time machine.

Edited by user Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:30:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rschmidt  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:08:07 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I do not discriminate against brown fish :) Hahaha

Really though, trout become primarily piscivorous at an early age, perhaps at size of 4". There is no doubt that browns have a lower mortality and higher birth rate. Hence their dominance after invading. Although streams do vary, I would prefer to see a brook only stocking program in WI Class 1 and 2 waters, but I find both as majestic as the other. The brown with a tugging and jumping fight, while brook mostly shake, dive and run. I like browns on the table better. I like brooks on the table just as much!. Happy Fishing!. R
taion  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:01:25 AM(UTC)
taion

Man

I really like Brookies. They are my Favorite. I have also noticed fewer and fewer Brookies and more browns over the last few years in my home rivers.
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
Zugbug  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:32:28 AM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Skimmer wrote:
If A brook trout is caught in Idaho it is to be killed on the spot. I guess they were doing to well out there and choking out the cutties.

It is ironic- here in Wisconsin, some or us regard Brook Trout as just about the best fish that ever swam, while out West they are considered to be about one notch above Whitefish. We all have our biases, but I don't think that killing Brown Trout will accomplish anything in regard to improving the numbers or size of local Brook Trout....environmental factors play a bigger role. My guess is that even if every Brown Trout suddenly disappeared, the average size of Driftless Brook Trout would not increase - at least not for a long while. Brook Trout are more susceptible to fishing pressure, and they were slaughtered in great numbers ever since the European settlers arrived. For some reason, natural selection seems to have favored the smaller Brookies. If genetic factors were not a limitation, truly big Brook Trout would be caught or shocked by the DNR every so often, and this just doesn't happen.