Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Seabee1  
#21 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:10:59 PM(UTC)
Seabee1

I honestly think that in some streams I have fished brookies are making a come back compared to 10 years ago except the North shore I have noticed less brookies
NBrevitz  
#22 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:58:41 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Seabee1 wrote:
I honestly think that in some streams I have fished brookies are making a come back compared to 10 years ago except the North shore I have noticed less brookies

You must be fishing way down on the Shore, I've yet to catch a Brown up there but i never fish S of Finland except the Knife for Steelhead.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
NBrevitz  
#23 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:00:39 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
trapper wrote:
Pay attention

Trapper, I'm talking about the water in my area. They dump yearling hatchery strain Brookies in a few Class I Streams. Waste of money and a detriment to the gene pool... No use.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#24 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 1:11:15 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
NE IA Drifter wrote:
and most don't care as long as the fish puts up a good fight...

Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't say I don't care - I'm just commenting on the conditions that we currently have. I'm not in charge at the dnr/fisheries, so I gotta go with what's out there.

I'd rather catch brookies (of course, just like everyone else) and I understand being excited for something that is native... that predates our arrival... that belongs here.

But that isn't always an option as things stand.

In the meantime, I hope I get a bunch of trout tomorrow, whatever the kind.

Brown trout are just as hard to find and catch down here as brookies are where I go up north, so the "sport" is the same to me and the thrill of a fish on the line that I hunted and knew where to cast for is too.

Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
moosekid  
#25 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 1:41:37 PM(UTC)
moosekid

brookies can fertilize bull trout eggs and create sterile brook/bull hybrids. this can hurt populations of bull trout...since bull trout are already on the decline, folks out west really want to eliminate brook trout from certain watersheds...

pretty sure mnmountain man told me that, but it coulda been someone else..
Seabee1  
#26 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 1:52:43 PM(UTC)
Seabee1

NBrevitz wrote:
Seabee1 wrote:

You must be fishing way down on the Shore, I've yet to catch a Brown up there but i never fish S of Finland except the Knife for Steelhead.

No brown trout either never had caught browns in NE MN just don't see the numbers of brookies and size any more I fish around Finland/inland two harbors etc and the sucker for south of Finland lately I have fly fished the trout lakes and had good success I find that western Wisconsin and some streams in south east Minnesota are better for brookies than my old haunts in North Eastern Minnesota maybe back then I fished with a night crawlers and know I Fly fish IDK just my child hood haunts are not as good as they used to be
NE IA Drifter  
#27 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 2:30:06 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Gurth wrote:
NE IA Drifter wrote:

Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't say I don't care - I'm just commenting on the conditions that we currently have. I'm not in charge at the dnr/fisheries, so I gotta go with what's out there.

I'd rather catch brookies (of course, just like everyone else) and I understand being excited for something that is native... that predates our arrival... that belongs here.

Brown trout are just as hard to find and catch down here as brookies are where I go up north, so the "sport" is the same to me and the thrill of a fish on the line that I hunted and knew where to cast for is too.

Sorry wasn't trying to imply anything towards you... my general thoughts around that comment are that most see fish and trout in particular for their entertainment value (we all do myself included) but don't consider the environmental impacts their quest for entertainment has on the local watershed. Several times I've heard comments out here that people would rather have rainbow trout stocked than cutthroats restored because rainbows put up more of a fight that cutthroats and grow bigger. To me that is putting one's entertain over the health of the environment and that seems foolish to me and is somewhat upsetting.
Gurth  
#28 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 3:21:59 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
NE IA Drifter wrote:
Gurth wrote:
NE IA Drifter wrote:

Sorry wasn't trying to imply anything towards you... my general thoughts around that comment are that most see fish and trout in particular for their entertainment value (we all do myself included) but don't consider the environmental impacts their quest for entertainment has on the local watershed. Several times I've heard comments out here that people would rather have rainbow trout stocked than cutthroats restored because rainbows put up more of a fight that cutthroats and grow bigger. To me that is putting one's entertain over the health of the environment and that seems foolish to me and is somewhat upsetting.

I believe we see things the same way.

Edited by user Friday, February 17, 2017 3:23:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
Guillermo  
#29 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 8:15:01 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I think most can agree that browns provide for a good fishery, but do nothing for the health and happiness of our beloved natives. We must not let brookies go the way of the old Michigan Grayling. It's not too late.
shebs  
#30 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 11:10:32 PM(UTC)
shebs

Guillermo wrote:
I think most can agree that browns provide for a good fishery, but do nothing for the health and happiness of our beloved natives. We must not let brookies go the way of the old Michigan Grayling. It's not too late.

This. ThumpUp
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"