Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages «<2345>
Brookies vs. browns Options
nathanenter
#31 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 7:23:58 AM

Personally, I enjoy fishing for both Browns and Brookies. The mature
Browns I catch tend to fight harder than their Brookie counterparts. Although I have seen some heart-wrenchingly beautiful Browns, I love the coloration of healthy, mature Brook Trout.
NBrevitz
#32 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 5:46:31 PM

Guillermo wrote:
I think most can agree that browns provide for a good fishery, but do nothing for the health and happiness of our beloved natives. We must not let brookies go the way of the old Michigan Grayling. It's not too late.

The state NEEDS to stop stocking Browns on top of natives. It's just criminal...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
s.t.fanatic
#33 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 8:07:05 PM

NBrevitz, you may want to watch what you are saying on the internet. It may just be what keeps you from reaching that senior position. There is to much money and jobs at stake with the stocking program for the state to stop it.

With that said I agree with you 100%.

I went out the other day after reading this topic and pulled out a 15.125" brookie from a stream that holds very few trout of any kind by June 15 and a fair amount of northerns and other warm water species July and August. It was fat and strong (prob. because of the less competition for food in this stretch) It was fun to say the least never had a brookie take out drag before this one.
NBrevitz
#34 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 8:41:59 PM

s.t.fanatic wrote:
NBrevitz, you may want to watch what you are saying on the internet. It may just be what keeps you from reaching that senior position. There is to much money and jobs at stake with the stocking program for the state to stop it.

With that said I agree with you 100%.

I went out the other day after reading this topic and pulled out a 15.125" brookie from a stream that holds very few trout of any kind by June 15 and a fair amount of northerns and other warm water species July and August. It was fat and strong (prob. because of the less competition for food in this stretch) It was fun to say the least never had a brookie take out drag before this one.

That fight you're talking about is exactly why I love big Brookies so much. Brookies get so strong once they hit that 14" mark.
I don't even have my degree yet, so I'm not all that worried about it. If it were up to me, you'd see more of an Ontario style management plan, managing for natives where conditions are appropriate, and creating outstanding fisheries for Browns and Rainbows where Brook Trout wouldn't do well. Lots of stocked lakes with a bag limit of 5 fish, and stream management protecting big fish while thinning the herd of smaller fish, increasing growth rates. It could work in WI, there are plenty of seepage lakes with excellent potential that aren't stocked, yet Class I Streams all over manage to have their gene pool diluted. Keep the jobs, create more Trout fisheries, everyone but the Brown Trout Nazi's are happy, and even then they're content...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Zugbug
#35 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 11:28:02 PM

Montana completely discontinued stocking trout in those rivers that are capable of supporting wild populations more than 30 years ago. In most cases, the fisheries have significantly improved.
NBrevitz
#36 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 11:50:57 PM

Zugbug wrote:
Montana completely discontinued stocking trout in those rivers that are capable of supporting wild populations more than 30 years ago. In most cases, the fisheries have significantly improved.

Exactly...
Guillermo
#37 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:58:16 AM

Zugbug wrote:

Speaking of that, this is a pretty interesting read:

Why Montana Went Wild

There's really no arguing with those results. Stocked trout are a detriment in every respect to wild trout and fisherman who wish to catch them. I'm not sure exactly what it will take to make this happen in the Midwest, but it needs to happen.
shebs
#38 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:43:14 AM

Guillermo wrote:
Zugbug wrote:

Why Montana Went Wild

There's really no arguing with those results. Stocked trout are a detriment in every respect to wild trout and fisherman who wish to catch them. I'm not sure exactly what it will take to make this happen in the Midwest, but it needs to happen.

Now that is super interesting. I wonder if those results would replicate here? I have to wonder if our stream habitats are similar enough...I'm no biologist, but aren't a lot of our populations more limited by poor reproductive success, rather than food availability? Honest question, I don't know if that's at all true, but that could be a reason why that would work better there than here.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
s.t.fanatic
#39 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:20:32 PM

Minnesota doesn't stock that much any more. I see the trucks out once in a while around the Elba area but that's about it. The again the places I fish most of the time are private thus the reason for me not seeing many stocking trucks.
Zugbug
#40 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:00:40 PM

shebs wrote:
Guillermo wrote:
Zugbug wrote:

Why Montana Went Wild

Now that is super interesting. I wonder if those results would replicate here? I have to wonder if our stream habitats are similar enough...I'm no biologist, but aren't a lot of our populations more limited by poor reproductive success, rather than food availability? Honest question, I don't know if that's at all true, but that could be a reason why that would work better there than here.

The Wisconsin DNR divides our trout streams into three categories. Class 1 streams have sufficient natural reproduction, so no stocking is presumably done. About 40% of our streams are Class 1. Class 2 streams are good trout habitat, but have limited spawning potential, so supplemental stocking may be done in order to maintain trout populations. About 46% of our streams are Class 2. Class 3 streams are marginal trout habitat.