Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<345
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wibirdhunter  
#41 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:11:41 AM(UTC)
wibirdhunter

Man

Pretty rare to look at the stocking database for a class 1 water in Wisconsin and see that it doesn't get stocked. At least in the driftless area of this state.

Either they're stocking on top of wild fish or they classify way more stuff as class 1 than they should. Probably both.
NBrevitz  
#42 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:08:34 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
wibirdhunter wrote:
Pretty rare to look at the stocking database for a class 1 water in Wisconsin and see that it doesn't get stocked. At least in the driftless area of this state.

Either they're stocking on top of wild fish or they classify way more stuff as class 1 than they should. Probably both.

Idk about that, I fish a ton of Class II stuff that doesn't get stocked, streams still have plenty of fish. I found a trib to a well known Brookie Creek that was Class II, yet absolutely loaded with fish. Sure enough, it promptly became Class I.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
wibirdhunter  
#43 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:31:19 PM(UTC)
wibirdhunter

Man

I should have said class 1 in the southern counties of the Wi driftless area. Class 1 stuff in Dane,Iowa,and Grant county for the most part gets stocked with fish. I haven't looked at enough places farther north. So either the DNR is throwing stocked fish where they shouldn't or those waters are wrongly classed.

I'm not suggesting we need more stocking,we're on the same page as far as that goes.
NBrevitz  
#44 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:04:11 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

wibirdhunter wrote:
I should have said class 1 in the southern counties of the Wi driftless area. Class 1 stuff in Dane,Iowa,and Grant county for the most part gets stocked with fish. I haven't looked at enough places farther north. So either the DNR is throwing stocked fish where they shouldn't or those waters are wrongly classed.

I'm not suggesting we need more stocking,we're on the same page as far as that goes.

I've got nothing against throwing Brookies over Browns, but the other way around is just a waste of fish and $. They do throw fish in a few of our Class I Streams, Shebs and I are convinced they're just for Opener bridge pool plunkers. That said, the fact that my favorite Monroe County stream gets stocked just makes no sense, and it's a double whammy... Brookies and Browns over the top of native Brookies...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Guillermo  
#45 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:06:58 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
A stream I fish frequently is class 1 and class 2. This is a stream with native brookies. Up from bridge is class 1, they stock browns just below bridge on odd years. I've never understood this as the browns almost never carry over and every odd year all we catch is stockers. Every even year the brookies come back in big numbers. I guess they can say they technically aren't stocking class 1 water because it's all of 20 feet downstream into the class 2 water. I've seen this with a couple other streams too.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:09:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shebs  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:11:11 PM(UTC)
shebs

Guillermo wrote:
A stream I fish frequently is class 1 and class 2. This is a stream with native brookies. Up from bridge is class 1, they stock browns just below bridge on odd years. I've never understood this as the browns almost never carry over and every odd year all we catch is stockers. Every even year the brookies come back in big numbers. I guess they can say they technically aren't stocking class 1 water because it's all of 20 feet downstream into the class 2 water. I've seen this with a couple other streams too.

The stream the Brevitz is obliquely referring to is the same kind of deal. Class I upstream, Class II below. I can only assume the stockers are planted in the lower sections, but considering how few they plant (~1000 per year), I can't imagine they intend for them to be spawners, but more put and takers for opener. Considering that the stocking report lists only 'large finglerings' (7-9 inch fish) and I have caught literally hundreds of <6" fish in the upstream areas (and never any obvious stockers with worn fins), I don't think reproductive success is lacking, nor is carryover very good. I can't say for sure where they put them, but I imagine the bridges in the towns it runs through are likely targets. Still seems stupid as hell to me, cuz there are plenty of fish already.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:11:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Guillermo  
#47 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 5:25:18 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
shebs wrote:
Guillermo wrote:

The stream the Brevitz is obliquely referring to is the same kind of deal. Class I upstream, Class II below. I can only assume the stockers are planted in the lower sections, but considering how few they plant (~1000 per year), I can't imagine they intend for them to be spawners, but more put and takers for opener. Considering that the stocking report lists only 'large finglerings' (7-9 inch fish) and I have caught literally hundreds of <6" fish in the upstream areas (and never any obvious stockers with worn fins), I don't think reproductive success is lacking, nor is carryover very good. I can't say for sure where they put them, but I imagine the bridges in the towns it runs through are likely targets. Still seems stupid as hell to me, cuz there are plenty of fish already.

I understand what they're trying to do with the put and take thing, but honestly, the planted browns we catch there taste like complete shit even later in the year when they've been in the stream for a while. And in my experience, planted brookies don't taste any better.
shebs  
#48 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:30:12 PM(UTC)
shebs

Guillermo wrote:

I understand what they're trying to do with the put and take thing, but honestly, the planted browns we catch there taste like complete shit even later in the year when they've been in the stream for a while. And in my experience, planted brookies don't taste any better.

Agree 100%. Never understood the stocker bows either. But I guess if you fry em, it's not bad...just not my style.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
NBrevitz  
#49 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:18:47 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

If you're gonna do the put-and-take thing, you really may as well do it with Rainbows. They grow the fastest in hatcheries, taste pretty good after 6-8 weeks in the stream, and it's something different to catch. Develop a stain from a non-migratory population and you've got something. The Michigan DNR just developed a new strain on Brown Trout from 80 fish, it couldn't be that expensive to do something similar with some natural Rainbows.