Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
s.t.fanatic  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2017 12:53:31 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I bought my son a triumph for his birthday last year. Its nice but i like my HMG better. Neither comes close to the light weight and sensitivity of my legend elite though.

My average cost in fuel to fish is around $2 or so and i fish a ton. The high price in the rod is more that justifiable to me. Once you fish with one you will agree.
NBrevitz  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:26:05 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
wibirdhunter wrote:
I think we all spends hundreds (or thousands) of dollars a year on fuel to go fishing.

Might as well have the rod you really want with you while you do that.

St.croix legend elite and legend extreme from the store's b stock section are the best buys in fishing rods.

I have an elite as well, fishes extremely well, Christmas present a couple years ago.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
rschmidt  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:43:02 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 26 post(s)
I do love the Ugly Sticks, but I had a St. Croix triumph that I liked too. I stepped on it and kinda fell and snapped the sucka in half. Perhaps that wouldn't happen again. I might try one again. I will not use a 2 piece rod if I can avoid it. If it helps me to cast as well as Brevitz, it's time for a switch!

R
NBrevitz  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:47:19 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

rschmidt wrote:
I do love the Ugly Sticks, but I had a St. Croix triumph that I liked too. I stepped on it and kinda fell and snapped the sucka in half. Perhaps that wouldn't happen again. I might try one again. I will not use a 2 piece rod if I can avoid it. If it helps me to cast as well as Brevitz, it's time for a switch!

R

The balance on any of the St Croix Rods is outstanding, helps make for a consistent pitchThumpUp
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
stan b  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2017 3:42:34 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
The blank on the Fenwick goes thru the handle giving a great feel and excellent balance for pin point casting.ThumpUp
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
NBrevitz  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2017 5:47:30 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

stan b wrote:
The blank on the Fenwick goes thru the handle giving a great feel and excellent balance for pin point casting.ThumpUp

I like the even bend on the St Croix rods for pitching, since I fish all those creeks everyone else finds too brushy. Trapper and I are gonna hit one tomorrow. That said, I think I'll get a Fenwick for Steelhead and bigger Trout on those Superior tribs where you're primarily quarter-casting.
stan b  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2017 3:26:29 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
NBrevitz wrote:
stan b wrote:

I like the even bend on the St Croix rods for pitching, since I fish all those creeks everyone else finds too brushy. Trapper and I are gonna hit one tomorrow. That said, I think I'll get a Fenwick for Steelhead and bigger Trout on those Superior tribs where you're primarily quarter-casting.

Didn't think you guys fished for those " rough" fish.BigGrin
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Gurth  
#28 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 9:35:06 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 51 post(s)
No St. Croix rod yet... went to Dick's to replace my broken rod with a 5' Ugly Stik UL and got to register to find out there's a $10 rebate.

Just an FYI if anyone is in the market.

Grabbed a second one for my kid - which of course I will take with me the 99% of the time that he doesn't go with. I always carry extra setups for when something blows up on me - usually the line/spool.

In terms of feel and cast accuracy, I'm pretty confident of my casting with my 4'8" Ugly UL, but I've been using it as my main go to for many years now.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Gurth  
#29 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2017 11:51:45 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Well here's one that didn't get away...

UserPostedImage

18.5 incher caught on the Sugar River today.

I've actually caught longer ones that weighed less. This was easily the heaviest brown I've gotten and had to be between 4 or 5 pounds. Was thick down its back like smallies get.

Was hard to hold it in one hand to photograph.

Great last fish before the snow comes and was literally my "last cast" before I skinned it home for lunch.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
WI-fly  
#30 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2017 2:45:12 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Thanks a nice looking fish Gurth. Way to go! ThumpUp
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram