Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stan b  
#31 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2017 3:25:12 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Gurth wrote:
Well here's one that didn't get away...

UserPostedImage

18.5 incher caught on the Sugar River today.

I've actually caught longer ones that weighed less. This was easily the heaviest brown I've gotten and had to be between 4 or 5 pounds. Was thick down its back like smallies get.

Was hard to hold it in one hand to photograph.

Great last fish before the snow comes and was literally my "last cast" before I skinned it home for lunch.

Mr Gurth,
Which lure?
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Gurth  
#32 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2017 3:31:44 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 40 post(s)
WI-fly wrote:
Thanks a nice looking fish Gurth. Way to go! ThumpUp

Thanks!

Was a good fight and happy that it didn't get off.

Played it out a bit despite my urge to reel it right in. Wasn't a long fight - maybe 30-40 seconds, but that's a lot longer than the littler ones take.

Edited by user Sunday, March 12, 2017 3:49:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Gurth  
#33 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2017 3:33:27 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

stan b wrote:

Mr Gurth,
Which lure?

1/4 oz PM Holo Black Tiger

Gurth  
#34 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2017 4:25:52 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Normally, catching three 13-15 inch brownies in an hour after work on a 300 yard stretch would be a wonderful little primer for the weekend.

All I'm thinking about is the 4th fish... er... PIG that I lost.

This is a mud bottom 2 foot high banked stream and I had it to my feet, about 18 inches below them where it darted into the overhanging grass, struggled and tangled there for about 5 seconds, just out of reach, barrel rolled and then snapped the line.

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Got a good look at it and it was 18-20 and fat, fat... FAT. And dang did it tug. Such a rush to tangle with one of those.

From now on, taking my boat net (my side holstered trout net is worthless in this situation) when I fish this section as it's right by my house and is a fairly short stretch that I hit so won't be a problem lugging it around with me. There are no small fish in this river either and even lifting a 13 incher that high is precarious.

If I had that net with me tonight I could have easily reached down and secured the fish.

Cursing

Anyway... good start to the weekend.

Smile

William Schlafer  
#35 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 7:35:49 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Ah, bad luck Gurth. It's happened to me too many times to count. Most fish are lost right at the net. It's hard to be patient when you got that big boy on the line and to position yourself in a good spot to net em.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#36 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 7:52:55 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Here's an interesting product I saw at a show a few years ago: an extendable fishing net, that also works as a wading staff. Pretty cool. Great for those situations where you're up high on a bank, or need that extra reach.

UserPostedImage

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#37 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:17:37 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

So yeah...

Stopped at the relatively big river near my house for a few quick casts as the sun was setting. Did I bother to grab my net? Nah... left it in the car.

Just took a rod.

Cursing Cursing Cursing

Thank the heavens though that I had my net with me on the small stream I went to earlier for all those 10-12 inchers. RollEyes

How could I have landed this beast without my handy net?

UserPostedImage

RollEyes RollEyes RollEyes

The big river fish was a good fight though and I actually played it out correctly - allowing it to take line and tire itself out a bit. It made several runs and it was almost surreal to be standing in two feet of water battling this unseen fish in the fading light - the peaceful tranquility of dusk in stark contrast to the epic, life or death battle between man and beast. Smile

It was at my feet after a couple of the runs, but the darkness did not allow me to see it other than a glimpse here and there.

Had it been a true pig, I would have tried to walk it down the 50 yards to a section where I could have done a shore landing (on grass).

As it happened, got off at the grassy high bank. Thought I had played it out enough to try and lift it.

Nope. Darted under the overhang and as I lifted, shook it's head, spit the hook and sank bank into the darkness.

Wouldn't have been a new best for me but was probably 18 inches, thick and a beauteous bronze color.

Would have been the signature fish on an otherwise meh night of 7 browns and a lone brook.

The thing is that I know this river and it's potential. Most of the big (18+) browns that I've ever gotten were out of this river. How the F do I not take my net?

Oh wait....

UserPostedImage

There it is!

How convenient.

Thanks for reading my therapy post. BigGrin

Edited by user Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:54:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#38 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:37:23 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Silver Lining Part 1: I learn from every one of these big fish that I lose. That and it was fun tangling with it. I tip my hat.

Silver Lining Part 2: Bought 14 of the size 6 (1/4oz) Panther Martin silver spinners with red hooks coz they were on clearance for $2 each. Both of the browns I hooked on the big river - a 14 incher that I landed and the aforementioned "beast" - were on one of these, so I'm optimistic that it was a solid purchase.

Not every color/pattern of PMs work, so there was a slight risk with grabbing so many. Figured silver was pretty safe though.

Edited by user Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:42:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rschmidt  
#39 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:41:11 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
The larger frabil trout model with replaced ghost net (fukn stock one tangles lures like white on rice) is a formidable net for 40$ total. Those oval small nets are nearly worthless for any fish over 15" The frabil modified easily hands 20+". It doesn't handle large steel head ie 26"+ 8-12#ers. For steel head I have been known to back carry my larger game fish net. PIA until u need it. Woot Good luck. R
Gurth  
#40 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:48:02 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

^ I know that my little net wouldn't have been the best, but would have liked to have it as an option and have successfully used it on fish up to 18 inches. In this case, felt naked not having it when I needed it.

As it was, I was looking at the high bank behind me and I kept thinking... maybe even saying it out loud, "I can't land this fish. There's no way I can land this fish. WHY THE F-CK DID I LEAVE MY NET IN THE VAN!?!?"

The more I played it out though and realized that I must have a good set, the more optimistic I started to become that I could lift it about 12 inches in one low spot. The dart under the overhang was his winning move. Again, I tip my hat.

Cursing

BigGrin

I do have a boat net that I now take with me to this river, but didn't have it coz the stop was impromptu. As you said, it's a pain... until you need it.

Edited by user Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:57:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified