Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trapper  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 7:35:56 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Driftless Angler Fly Shop in Viroqua just got a shipment of red body Cracklebacks. Get some...
Get Reel
Sponsor
#10WOOLY  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 9:54:31 AM(UTC)
#10WOOLY

Man

I love using cracklebacks. One of my go to flys. I love making them too.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman
#10WOOLY  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 9:55:51 AM(UTC)
#10WOOLY

Man

Sorry for the pictures being so big. 1st time posting with pictures. I will have to crop the next ones down.
"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 10:00:31 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Pardon my ignorance, but is this a Midge pattern - similar to a Griffiths Gnat? I confess this is the first time I've seen or heard of these.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
#10WOOLY  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 10:51:57 AM(UTC)
#10WOOLY

Man

William, yes right along those lines, midge pattern, Griffiths Gnat, maybe even a emerging caddis. You can really get creative with different color bodies and hackle. The fly was originally devolved by Ed Story of Feather-Craft. I have had times when I come across a deeper hole I will put on sinking line and fish it deep. I do very well on it. I included a youtube video for you.

Edited by user Monday, March 6, 2017 11:06:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 11:11:46 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

#10WOOLY wrote:
William, yes right along those lines, midge pattern, Griffiths Gnat, maybe even a emerging caddis. You can really get creative with different color bodies and hackle. The fly was originally devolved by Ed Story of Feather-Craft. I have had times when I come across a deeper hole I will put on sinking line and fish it deep. I do very well on it. I included a youtube video for you.

Cool! I've tied some Griffiths Gnats in the past, but I've rarely fished them. I like the way these look and will tie some up. I like your idea of submerging the fly. I do that all the time with Hoppers and Cranefly patterns with great success.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
trapper  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 2:44:22 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but is this a Midge pattern - similar to a Griffiths Gnat? I confess this is the first time I've seen or heard of these.

-Bill

Fish fly with floatant-killer caddis

Edited by user Monday, March 6, 2017 2:55:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Get Reel
big_river_bum  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 3:41:34 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
trapper wrote:
William Schlafer wrote:

-Bill

Fish fly with floatant-killer caddis

that's what I've always used them for. late season caddis
Trouts  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 6:43:31 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
These and even just a standard Griffiths gnat in larger sizes than those typically tied for midges work surprisingly well for many hatches. Skitter or skate them across the surface and you might be pleasantly surprised.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 13, 2017 5:17:11 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Took a crack (pardon the pun) at tying a few of these myself. Size 14, the minimum my eyes can allow me to tie.

UserPostedImage

I used red tinsel for the body wrap. I think the would've turned out better if I used something a little bulkier to give the body a bit more of a hump. Maybe use a few more Peacock Hurls too for more definition. Might use a dun hackle instead of Grizzly next time too. We'll see how these fish the next time the Midges are popping.

-Bill