Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trapper  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 7:30:30 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Anyone own or try one out?

After the dismall failure of the nine foot 5 wt Sage One, was wondering if this stick is tough and casts.

Would love to compare a 8ft 4wt to my Echo Base.

The Winston green rods of old are ok, but not the price tag. I see very little difference between a $800 rod and $89
Get Reel
Sponsor
Sparkleminnow  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 6:22:41 PM(UTC)
Sparkleminnow

Sorry i know it is a somewhat old thread. But this past year i acquired a sage x 8 wt. I also own a sage one 486-4, this and my thomas and thomas horizon 3 wt are my staple rods for the driftless. I would highly recommend the x although i haven't fished it yet, i have done a lot of casting on the lawn with it. I plan to use it for smallmouth and lighter musky fishing. I would say it feels a little more flexible than the one. That being said it doesn't seem as "twiggy" as it's predessor. Although I have never had issues with the one personally, I have heard of it. The X being a higher modulus graphite, it going to break much easier and feel a lot different than your echo.
trapper  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 6:55:46 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Interesting location you post from.
Welcome,how is Florida?
I sent Bill a couple of Wisconsin Outdoor News that Dave Carlson wrote up.

Btw: Brian has all the Sage rods.
Get Reel
Zugbug  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:40:34 PM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have a 6 wt Sage X. I really like the rod, and in my opinion, it pretty much lives up to the hype; it's very accurate, throws tight loops, and generates a lot of line speed without much effort. Although I've fished with them, I never particularly liked the Sage One - it feels considerably stiffer than the X, and performs poorly at close range. Although the Sage X is a great rod, I'm not sure that it is well suited for the small streams in the Driftless. I do think that the 6 wt will be an excellent SM Bass rod.
MN Driftless  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:54:42 AM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have the old Z-Axis 490, a Sage ONE 590, and the Sage X 390. They are all very different in feel, and Sage certainly likes to introduce a rod series, then kill it in favor of a new model. I get it. It's marketing and what not. I think they'd be better off "reintroducing" the old LL. They are selling for big dollars online and is a highly coveted rod.

It's tough to discount the overall feel and performance of the Z-Axis. Great rod - perfect for the Midwest. I like the ability for the ONE to load and fire line with ease. It's my out west rod through and through and probably not a great Driftless choice. I do use it locally for windy days, bigger water, and bigger flies. The new X rods are sweet. I've only fished the 3 weight a few times, but I love it.

I also use the SA Sharkwave lines for almost all of my rods. Used to be a Rio guy, but the SA lines have made huge improvements the past few years. IMO, having a fast line on a fast rod like the ONE really adds to the overall ease of using the rod, especially if you're going to be chucking streamers all day.

Full disclosure: My preference isn't medium action, slow loading rods. I prefer to be able to pick up line and fire it right back out there to a spot.
Sparkleminnow  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 1:05:52 PM(UTC)
Sparkleminnow

No sorry for the confusion trapper, I live in the cabin in avalanche. I am the just the local 16 year old fly angler
tedwin183  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 9:29:16 PM(UTC)
tedwin183

I own and fish the 590 X in Driftless creeks frequently. It was the rod I used for Cozad's 1 fly this year. I have it paired with a Lamson Guru II 2.0 and WF5F Rio Gold. It's light, sensitive, loads with very, very little line sticking out of the rod tip (it'll drop a fly with 9' of line out just fine). the sensitivity in the blank is second-to-none, even compared to my Scott Radian, ONE's, TXL-F, etc. Even when a dinker takes a small streamer, it's like a lightning bolt shooting up the blank. It'll play small fish so that it's fun still, but if you lean into it, it really has a ton of backbone. Overall, it's a blast to fish, and a marked improvement over the ONE for trout applications (though you should seriously try the 8'6" ONE sometime, it's an incredible short distance Driftless trout stick). Still love my ONEs though, all three of them. The 691 ONE is my favorite smallmouth stick ever, and the 890 ONE is my go-to carp and steelhead stick.