Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

14 Pages «<910111213>»
Trout Pics Options
Gurth
#101 Posted : Friday, May 05, 2017 3:08:31 PM

madguy30 wrote:

I caught a couple like that in the South Fork Bad Axe about a month ago and was wondering if they were stockers, along with the fact that even decent sized fish weren't fighting very hard...didn't think it made much difference until I went to a different spot and caught what were much stronger and stronger colored fsh...may have just been the strain too.

Mine was on the Blue, so possibly a stocker although too small to be a brood obviously.

Don't recall anything about how it fought.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
William Schlafer
#102 Posted : Sunday, May 07, 2017 3:58:07 AM

Fished Vernon County Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Fishing was hot on Thursday, not so great Friday and Saturday. Here's some random photos.

Steep elevation change on this stream.

But it held some serious dark looking Brookies.

Yeah, Browns love the Pink Squirrel.

But I caught em on Black Caddis too.

These leaping Browns are real athletes. So energetic and strong.

A small Rainbow tugged on my line. A nice surprise.

Here's 30 feet of outside bend with deep undercut banks, and the remnants of some old lunker structures. Perfect place to Trout to hide and ambush food as it trains by. And perfect for a right-handed caster. The current pulls the fly right into position. Yanked eight aggressive Trout from under that bank.

Such a pretty stream.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth
#103 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2017 4:51:49 PM

That's a funny looking trout...

Despite warnings, I went to a "trout" stream that I was near on Saturday and even though it's classified and looks great, all I got were suckers and giant minnows.

Salvaged the jaunt to this stream by heading into town and fishing it for smallies downstream from an impoundment. Got a few like this which was good fun - especially on an ultralite.

Also got a few little smallies.

Spur of the moment, went with some buddies who were gonna hunt Sunday morning and stayed over towards Fennimore and hit one of my usual haunts over there.

Gorgeous evening Sat. night and lots of risers were all around as the sun went down. Got several fish in a couple hours and they weren't hitting at all in the pools or runs - only in riffles. This was the only notable fish (a few were around 12 and the rest around 10) and even he was in a lie in riffles maybe 18 inches deep.

Sunday morning was slow and I only got 4. Liked this one because of the fog.

Finished the weekend by taking my youngest pan fishing at a quarry on Sunday. Crappies and Bluegill.

Pretty varied fishing weekend.
William Schlafer
#104 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2017 6:44:21 PM

Took me years to learn this fact.

Most days if the water and weather are cooperative, Trout will move out of the pools and resting areas and into the riffle and rocky sections of streams. Caddis and other hatching critters live there and the Trout move into the shallower water to feed when they hatch. Running a Pink Squirrel through the rocks and fast water can be deadly. The strikes are solid and you typically get a good hook set on every one because the Trout don't take time to analyze what it is, they just eat it.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth
#105 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2017 7:23:47 PM

^ Without a doubt.

Have had many a small riffle section yield 4 or 5 nice fish in less than 10 casts. Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom!

That's when you know it's ON. Go up two riffles and nothing doing. Confused

I guess my point about Saturday evening was that the riffles weren't necessarily on like that, coz I was only getting one or no fish out of each section and that was coupled with dead (to spinners) pools.

Just felt like a night that I should have done better than the seven I got and had they bitten in some of their other usual haunts, I would have.

And had we not stopped for supper BEFORE fishing, I would have had 45 more minutes too. I blame my buddy for that as the rest of us wanted to fish first and then eat. But no... he was hungry.

Baby. Smile

Don't get me wrong, the unpredictability is what makes this fun. Many times the fish aren't in any of the spots that I "know" they should be and that's when I look for them where they "never" are and oftentimes that's just where they are.

Little shits. BigGrin
shebs
#106 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 2:48:34 AM

I'm camping this weekend so no full write up or proper pics til Sunday, but I had to share this.

Just a shade over 20, 15+" girth. Felt like 6-7 lbs.

Don't let the dirty water keep you on the couch, this is prime monster hunting time.
File Attachment(s):
20170518_182851.jpg (4,060kb) downloaded 46 time(s).
20170518_182823.jpg (3,531kb) downloaded 38 time(s).
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
s.t.fanatic
#107 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 12:46:42 PM

Nice catch!!! Those thick fish are so much stronger than the average fish.
William Schlafer
#108 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 1:27:22 PM

Whoa! That's a slab of a Brown Trout. Congrats!

-Bill
Gurth
#109 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 2:59:38 PM

I really wish everyone would embed their photos.

I'd love to see your fish, but don't really want to download.

Please don't take that as an attack or anything. Just a preference.

I get being away from a computer though and I cannot post (easily) from the stream. Have to wait till I get home.

Smile
snbrd4evr
#110 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 4:00:41 PM

Gurth wrote:
I really wish everyone would embed their photos.

I'd love to see your fish, but don't really want to download.

Please don't take that as an attack or anything. Just a preference.

I get being away from a computer though and I cannot post (easily) from the stream. Have to wait till I get home.

Smile

Just for you sir!