Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

29 Pages«<2526272829>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#261 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2018 5:45:56 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Gurth, you're consistently bagging the bigger Trout. Well done!

Otters seem to be more common around the DA. One of my favorite streams has a family of Otters that has been keeping the Trout nervous for the last couple of seasons. I can't say the fishing is any slower because of them though. Lots of fun to watch them fly through the stream. I think they keep Beavers and Raccoons at bay also.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Gurth on 3/30/2018(UTC)
Gurth  
#262 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 1:02:58 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 40 post(s)
And the beat goes on.

Here's a fat football I got a couple days ago. At 19 inches, not the longest brown I've gotten, but easily the thickest that I can recall.

UserPostedImage

Got to some small water yesterday between Madison and Dodgeville and this particular well known stream always baffles me. Looks beautiful and the structure is a lot of fun to work but there seem to be few trout and what is there tends to be quite small.

Got a few small to micro browns and this guy…

UserPostedImage

First brookie I've even gotten there. I thought he was pretty cool.

Was in 4 inch riffles that I was about to walk through and then thought, why not try em.

On my way to my next destination which was a medium brown trout stream, I was crossing a bridge over big water that I've driven over many times in the past on my way somewhere else.

Had stopped there once a few years ago to have a look and decided that it wasn't my kind of water.

My kind of water is undergoing a transformation this spring so I pulled over and gave it a go.

Good size stream with good volume and some cuts and holes that probably reach at least 5 feet.

It's not actually classified water at this spot, but not too far down from trout water.

Got a small brown at the top of a drop. Worked upstream some more and was working a long 4 foot deep trench at the tail of a slight bend and BOOM, got the now (more) familiar feeling of a decent fish.

Had to slide down the 5 foot bank that I was on to a lower spot to land him – trying not to slide too far as the water was at least 4 feet deep below me - but all went well and here he is…

UserPostedImage

Spent almost the rest of my day exploring this section of stream and got a few other average browns and didn't see any other bigguns. Will be going back to expand the search.

I've mentioned that I picked up a larger net for when I'm on big fish water. It's been incredibly helpful. Far fewer rim hits while landing and the big fish have a great area to recover before release.

Here's that 18.5 inch fish in the net…

UserPostedImage

Plenty of room for even larger fish too. It's a cheapie net and it sucks when the hooks get caught in the tight mesh, but I'm sold on the size.

I have a smaller net that I take to spring creeks.

Oh yeah and one more footnote... I'm working smaller fish too hard as I've been going after bigguns almost exclusively for the past 2-3 weeks. Pulling the lure right away from them or putting too much pressure on them on the retrieve. Gotta get the finesse back.

Edited by user Friday, March 30, 2018 1:44:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Hegawn  
#263 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 1:33:06 PM(UTC)
Hegawn

United States

Gurth, how long are your net handles? I never use a net but am considering it. I like to go light but have been known to backpack a few beverages in.

Speaking of bank slides, last year unknowingly stepped in a steeper bank side cow pie and went horizontal. Took some splatter but did not end up in the drink. Once stepped into beaver hole. Not sure which is worse.
"When you come to a fork in the stream, take it!" - if Yogi Berra was a trout chaser...
Gurth  
#264 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 1:50:51 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Handle is normal length.

I wear it on my belt and it's attached to a retractable cord - got the retraction device at Orvis, the net at Cabela's - it's rubber mesh but the tight weave is a real pain with hooks.

Chose the net primarily because the thin metal frame could be easily attached to the retractor with a clip. It's hangs like a sword from the belt so can move freely and is right there when I need it.

Also got sick of those white large mesh nets deteriorating and/or getting ripped up on branches. The current one got a large gash in it last week and I sewed it up with 10lb Power Pro. Good as new.

Edited by user Friday, March 30, 2018 1:52:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
Hegawn on 3/31/2018(UTC)
Jumpsuit  
#265 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 2:00:10 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Great report gurth ! All the pictures have me itching to drive North after only a few days away !
thanks 1 user thanked Jumpsuit for this useful post.
Gurth on 3/30/2018(UTC)
Hegawn  
#266 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2018 12:32:13 PM(UTC)
Hegawn

United States

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Handle is normal length.

I wear it on my belt and it's attached to a retractable cord - got the retraction device at Orvis, the net at Cabela's - it's rubber mesh but the tight weave is a real pain with hooks.

Chose the net primarily because the thin metal frame could be easily attached to the retractor with a clip. It's hangs like a sword from the belt so can move freely and is right there when I need it.

Also got sick of those white large mesh nets deteriorating and/or getting ripped up on branches. The current one got a large gash in it last week and I sewed it up with 10lb Power Pro. Good as new.

Thanks for the info. I kinda like the optics of a sword hanging from my belt...
"When you come to a fork in the stream, take it!" - if Yogi Berra was a trout chaser...
rschmidt  
#267 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2018 12:51:38 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
You can put a nice 16" deep, non-tangle, non- hooking ghost net bag on that Frabil net for 20$ at Jannsnetcraft.com. No stringing required, disconnect the hoop and slip it on. That stock Frabil netting is the worst, snags a hook every damn time. Happy Fishing
Gurth  
#268 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2018 2:52:20 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: Hegawn Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for the info. I kinda like the optics of a sword hanging from my belt...

Here's my belt setup...

UserPostedImage

The "pommel" of the net is right by my left hand as I walk. Honestly reminds me of a sword sometimes and I feel pretty badass out there. Laugh

Love when I come upon those guys that look like an outfitter's catalogue blew up all over them.

Me in my cheap Frogg Togg waders from Farm & Fleet with all my crap tangling from my belt including a second spin rod in my belt holster.

They never seem to want to chat much.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

The other Hill Bobs out there will talk my ears off.

My people... Smile
Gurth  
#269 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2018 2:57:03 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

And yeah Ron... like I said, the mesh sucks.

Especially when a trout gets in there and does its barrel roll, wrapping the lure in layers.

I often just cut the line and get the lure out later at home.
WI-fly  
#270 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 8:41:28 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Fished the Cozad Driftless 1Fly yesterday. Such a fun time at that event. All money raised goes to Coulee Region TU for youth fishing activities. So many good stories, but I'll share one here. My son Gavin is an incredible trout fisher, but spin fishing is his thing. The 1Fly requires fly gear only, so he was challenged the past few days as we scouted for Saturday's event. He chose to fish a Frick's Fix for his one fly, but the weather was dicey and small flies were the ticket. However, he stuck with it all day long to finally land this brookie at the end of the day.

My tired chubby 44 year old self sprinted about 100 yards in waders when he yelled to me that he had this fish on. Landed it in the net himself, high fives, hugs, good scene all around.

This Vernon County location is no mystery, but I'm always amazed at how willing the brookies are here.

[img=UserPostedImageGbrook by Curt Rees, on Flickr]gbr[/img]
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram