Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

34 Pages«<31323334>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Guillermo  
#321 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 11:58:51 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
It's my understanding that only a handful of watersheds in WI have wild bows. I stumbled onto one of those watersheds accidentally when I caught a beautifully colored 6 incher one fall, and then another beautifully colored 14 incher the next fall. I got to researching, found no stocking records, found some other interesting information, and finally confirmed via the DNR they were wild fish. Seems they've been there in relatively low, but persistent numbers for about 100 years.
WI-fly  
#322 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 1:52:25 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
That's what I have heard too, only a handful of wild (naturally reproducing) rainbow populations in the state. A smart fishy friend of mine pointed a few of them out to me as we crossed them on a recent road trip. It's cool that they have found the right water here in the state.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
William Schlafer  
#323 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 3:43:30 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 65 post(s)
I recall reading somewhere that Rainbow reproduction is possible in DA streams, but the conditions aren't perfect for them (like out west). They're generally out competed by Brown and Brook Trout for food and the best stream bed redds location. The DNR to stock them in big numbers in a stream near where I grew up. I don't think many survived the winter though, as it was rare to catch one by the following spring opener.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
weiliwen  
#324 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 3:56:42 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
I recall reading somewhere that Rainbow reproduction is possible in DA streams, but the conditions aren't perfect for them (like out west). They're generally out competed by Brown and Brook Trout for food and the best stream bed redds location. The DNR to stock them in big numbers in a stream near where I grew up. I don't think many survived the winter though, as it was rare to catch one by the following spring opener.

-Bill

I'd have thought that there is little competition for redd space, since Rainbows spawn in the spring and browns/brookies in the fall. I caught two bows in early March out of Castle Rock Creek, one of them likely a brood rainbow dropped in by the DNR.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#325 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 4:20:57 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Personally, I'd prefer not to see them other than in streams where they can reproduce. Catching a "stocked" fish always seems a bit cheap to me for some reason.

Not sure why the DNR continues to breed and stock bows in streams that already have viable populations of fish that can reproduce.

I've caught a lot of "catchable" bows this year, or what I call stocker bows. 9-12 inches.

Have caught these in (4) streams where brown trout are already successful. Have caught more bows of all types - brood, catchable & Fingerling - this year than I can ever remember.

If supplementation is desirable, why not more browns that could grow up to successfully reproduce?

Maybe the hatcheries wouldn't have enough to do long term if brown trout populations were more self-sufficient. Maybe it's easier to breed bows in captivity?

And Brook Trout Mafia… these are all streams/small rivers that are not suitable for brookies.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
WI-fly  
#326 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 2:48:46 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Personally, I'd prefer not to see them other than in streams where they can reproduce. Catching a "stocked" fish always seems a bit cheap to me for some reason.

Not sure why the DNR continues to breed and stock bows in streams that already have viable populations of fish that can reproduce.

I've caught a lot of "catchable" bows this year, or what I call stocker bows. 9-12 inches.

Have caught these in (4) streams where brown trout are already successful. Have caught more bows of all types - brood, catchable & Fingerling - this year than I can ever remember.

If supplementation is desirable, why not more browns that could grow up to successfully reproduce?

Maybe the hatcheries wouldn't have enough to do long term if brown trout populations were more self-sufficient. Maybe it's easier to breed bows in captivity?

And Brook Trout Mafia… these are all streams/small rivers that are not suitable for brookies.

Gurth - I just had this conversation with our local DNR fisheries biologist, Kirk Olson. We (Coulee Region TU) stock Coon Creek a couple times per year for kids and veterans fishing events. Most of these anglers are looking for fish that they can catch without too much effort. Also, many of these novice anglers want to keep their fish. Kirk's preference is that we put in rainbows because they won't reproduce in the stream. The fish farm we use does have browns and brooks, but they aren't the wild genetic strain that the DNR wants to see in the streams. We could get the right strain of brood brown/brooks, but then we don't want them harvested. Rainbows make sense for the put and take kind of fishing that happens with these special events.

=============
Curt Rees
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
WI-fly  
#327 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 2:56:08 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

And I overlooked your point about why the DNR stocks rainbows. I don't know that. My scenario is what we stocked as a private group.
=============
Curt Rees
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
JGF  
#328 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 4:58:17 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post

Gurth - I just had this conversation with our local DNR fisheries biologist, Kirk Olson. We (Coulee Region TU) stock Coon Creek a couple times per year for kids and veterans fishing events. Most of these anglers are looking for fish that they can catch without too much effort. Also, many of these novice anglers want to keep their fish. Kirk's preference is that we put in rainbows because they won't reproduce in the stream. The fish farm we use does have browns and brooks, but they aren't the wild genetic strain that the DNR wants to see in the streams. We could get the right strain of brood brown/brooks, but then we don't want them harvested. Rainbows make sense for the put and take kind of fishing that happens with these special events.

I totally agree with this. If you're going to stock normal hatchery genetic trout - it might as well be rainbows (for everywhere that doesn't have wild rainbows - so most of the state).

William Schlafer  
#329 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 5:26:18 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

And Brook Trout Mafia…

Sign me up Uncle Vito. BigGrin

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#330 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 7:40:45 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Bows for events or fishing ponds are great.

I believe they put them in BEC for Trout Days each year.

I was referring to non-event waters as 3 of the streams where I've gotten 10-12 inchers this year are places where I doubt there are ever events or sportsmen's clubs.

Contacted a DNR biologist to inquire about a local stream where 22000 fingerling bows were placed last year after never having them stocked prior. Also asked about the "catchables" I got this year from the same water.

Turns out there was a large surplus of fingerlings last year and they needed a place for them, so in they went. The catchables are those fingerlings. They tripled (at least) in size in one year due to the abundance of forage in this water.

There are no long term plans for bows in this particular water and most of the fingerlings are not expected to make it. Natural reproduction is all but impossible in these waters for bows.

For those that survive though, this is a place where browns get quite large but are few and far between. Could be some BIG bows in a few years.

As long as they never put broods here (and they haven't), that would be pretty cool, I guess.

In the hierarchy of what I'd want to catch, a fingerling stocker that grew up to a large fish is much better than a catchable or put and take fish or a brood.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 14, 2018 7:51:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net