Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

39 Pages«<3536373839>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#361 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2018 1:03:05 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Ended up trouting yesterday and other than the FULL sun, conditions were idyllic.

Was comfortable in full waders all day due to mild temps and the bugs were not really an issue other than a couple gnats in what's left of my hair.

Water was a bit silty in the lowest portion of the stream I was on, but that was easily rectified by moving a bit upstream.

The fishing was off though and while I did manage around 25 to hand (15-ish brookies and 10-ish browns), it took me all day (8:00-5:30).

Sitting on 5 fish at the time, almost went home around lunch to get other things done but glad I stuck it out as I got the majority of my fish in the afternoon.

At the end of the day, moved to a typically brown-dominated stretch looking for a big fish or two to cap the day and caught a bunch of brookies instead.

Did get my favorite fish of the day though...

UserPostedImage

Was around 5:00 and the sun was wretched so couldn't really frame a decent photo or avoid heavy contrast, but you get the idea of how cool this fella was.

Soon as I saw his billboard flash, I'm like, "WANT!" Drool

Of all the browns I've caught over the years, have only seen this red flush maybe 4 or 5 times. Definitely my favorite variant on a trout. Nice little kype going too.

He's gonna spawn the F out of this stream! Laugh

Beautiful fish.

Edited by user Monday, September 24, 2018 12:14:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#362 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2018 5:17:23 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Look at the size of those spots and halos!

Nice fish!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Buckman  
#363 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 6:35:11 PM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

I went fishing yesterday for a fish like that but couldn't find anything quite as colorful! All in all a good morning scouting a new place and testing out some new lures I made (big Mepps vs PM debate among some friends, my son and his buddies in Michigan love Mepps, but I digress...)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Gurth  
#364 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:55:41 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Buckman… looks like you had a good time on Monday also! Was a gorgeous day to be out.

Went out Monday afternoon to a narrow upstream portion of a stream. Hadn't ever fished this part before even though I had been to the stream itself many times.

Got a bunch, but the reason I'm posting these photos is the coloration of the fish I caught. I've caught these dark browns here and there over the years, and also in this stream further down.

On this night though, maybe 17 of the over 20 fish I caught were noticeably dark brown and many had an almost metallic gold undercarriage.

Have never run into browns like this in such density and figure it must have to do with the water chemistry as trout in other nearby and superficially similar waters do not exhibit this coloration with such frequency, if at all.

Was thinking… maybe… probably even said it out loud… "These fish put the brown in brown trout."

Yeah… I talk to myself onstream sometimes and yeah… it's usually pretty profound stuff.

Anyway, the wide variety of patterns and colors – even within the same stream – are a big part of why browns are my favorite of all fish to catch.

Anyway, check out a few of these…

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Even the little ones were dark. Love the gold cheeks on the larger one.

The final one wasn't quite as dark as some of the others, but was a beauty.

I hope I never lose my fascination and joy regarding the diversity of both fish and their environments. I get really excited when I run into something that I haven't seen before or that is rare and that can include small fish. Trophies aren't always big fish.

Won't get to fish again till Monday, but have 8 outings planned during the final 15 days of the season.

Hope the weather cooperates.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 26, 2018 5:35:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/26/2018(UTC)
Buckman  
#365 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 4:04:17 PM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You gotta love the diversity of markings on trout, brownies in particular. That 3rd brown down is about as dark as I've ever seen a brown get.
billybigbilly  
#366 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:16:29 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Buckman… looks like you had a good time on Monday also! Was a gorgeous day to be out.

Went out Monday afternoon to a narrow upstream portion of a stream. Hadn't ever fished this part before even though I had been to the stream itself many times.

Got a bunch, but the reason I'm posting these photos is the coloration of the fish I caught. I've caught these dark browns here and there over the years, and also in this stream further down.

On this night though, maybe 17 of the over 20 fish I caught were noticeably dark brown and many had an almost metallic gold undercarriage.

Have never run into browns like this in such density and figure it must have to do with the water chemistry as trout in other nearby and superficially similar waters do not exhibit this coloration with such frequency, if at all.

Was thinking… maybe… probably even said it out loud… "These fish put the brown in brown trout."

Yeah… I talk to myself onstream sometimes and yeah… it's usually pretty profound stuff.

Anyway, the wide variety of patterns and colors – even within the same stream – are a big part of why browns are my favorite of all fish to catch.

Anyway, check out a few of these…

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Even the little ones were dark. Love the gold cheeks on the larger one.

The final one wasn't quite as dark as some of the others, but was a beauty.

I hope I never lose my fascination and joy regarding the diversity of both fish and their environments. I get really excited when I run into something that I haven't seen before or that is rare and that can include small fish. Trophies aren't always big fish.

Won't get to fish again till Monday, but have 8 outings planned during the final 15 days of the season.

Hope the weather cooperates.

I really like the 4th one down, its so dark and those red dots really pop.
I remember reading somewhere that the brown trout in the US are either from a Scottish or German strain, I don't know if there is any phenotypical differences but maybe that plays a factor on why they are so dark.
Gurth  
#367 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:09:21 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

That’s a good thought but this stream is a trib of a larger system and another trib is only a few hundred yards away.

The dark browns are only found in high concentrations in this particular trib and downstream into the system but in lower densities.

That’s why I wonder/believe if/that it’s water chemistry related.

I haven’t bothered my dnr fisheries biologist in a few weeks. He’s probably wondering what happened to me.

Maybe I’ll ask him.
billybigbilly  
#368 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:12:10 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
That is odd then, and I'm sure it has to be water chemistry related. I am interested in what strain of brown is found the most in the DA, or if they are all same type now due to all the breeding, mixing and stocking. Are Driftless browns still close to their Scottish and German ancestors or are they now driftless strain?
rschmidt  
#369 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2018 10:36:21 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
KruddyTFB (Justin) and I got out for a second time this year. For a young man with 3 kids under 3 he had the energy to make a long long wade yesterday ThumpUp I was expecting a great outing and I was not disappointed!

The stream water was slightly stained, high for this time of year and ffeeeerrrreeezing cold. It was low 50s 4 sure with finger numbness coming on after 5 to 7 seconds.

First brookie of the day!
UserPostedImage

Things started slow with the ambient temp, but the middle 2/3s of this stream was hot hot hot with over 40 to hand!!

A cpl dbls
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Justin had a 16" brown. My best brown was 16.5" below.
UserPostedImage

My best brookie below. 13.5"
UserPostedImage

This guy has the most awesome red spots and silver halos.
UserPostedImage

We had our shots at bigs. Saw or lost 3 18"+ and Justin lost a 20"+

Some more assorted pics below.

A super bronzed up brown
UserPostedImage

A fatty of the same type!
UserPostedImage

A cute brookie with Justin lurking! hahaha
UserPostedImage

Another fat brown!
UserPostedImage

All in a great day to fish and pretty much what the late season has in store the next cpl weeks!

Happy Fishing!!

Ron

Edited by user Friday, September 28, 2018 10:44:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/30/2018(UTC)
rschmidt  
#370 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 10:26:40 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Another awesome brook trout outing. 40+with awesome quality. I had 5 fish 15"+ with one at 16".

A nicely colored onw.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Happy Fishing!

Ron
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 10/2/2018(UTC)