Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

55 Pages«<4849505152>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#491 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 5:45:38 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pete Go to Quoted Post

But things change when they are feeding: they're willing to expose themselves to some danger as long as the payoff-in the form of food-is worth it. I think it's especially true at night or in low light conditions; they'll often be feeding in thin water in riffles or tail outs.

The larger predatory Trout are mostly active at night. Some of the really big Trout posted on this website were taken in complete darkness, and during the summer months. Trout reach a certain size and their feeding tactics change. They become meat eaters and will consume anything they can get in their mouth. Mouse patterns at night can really bring the big Trout out to play.

Trout get big by avoiding predation and rarely straying very far from the safety of their hiding spot. This could be it a lunker structure, a deep hole under a tree trunk, or a deep undercut bank. They will own those spots and drive everything away from their lair. At night they come out and prowl the pools looking for the big meal they need to sustain their metabolism. Your best chance to catch a big in daylight is to cast a big lure to those spots to piss them off, and get them to come out to attack it.

Once the big fish go back to their hiding spots, and the sun comes up and warms the stream bed, bugs start to hatch in the shallower water. The (smaller) Trout respond to rising water temps and move into the rocky riffles and runs to feed on the emerging bugs. This is risky for them as they're exposed to predators in the shallow water, but it's there best chance to feed on bugs. As the day wears on, they'll move back into the pools and runs below the riffles, waiting for any bugs that got washed downstream to drift in. The biggest Trout in the pool will almost always be lurking at the head of the pool, in the prime holding spot waiting to snatch food as it drifts by. There will always be some structure nearby for them to flee to if they feel threatened.

During the Summer when the sun is high in the sky, Trout will move out under the banks with overgrowth, or anything that casts a shadow for them to hide under. Grasshoppers and other bugs drop off the vegetation into the water making for an easy meal for Trout. This can often be some of the best fishing of the season, as Trout will lose their wariness in anticipation of a big bug meal and will hammer anything that lands on the water with a splat.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 2 users thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
BrodyHetland on 5/17/2019(UTC), Pete on 5/18/2019(UTC)
Pete  
#492 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 5:59:21 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: s.t.fanatic Go to Quoted Post
, jerk hard and real fast.

Solid advice for so many aspects of life, not just fishing!
thanks 1 user thanked Pete for this useful post.
Gurth on 5/17/2019(UTC)
BrodyHetland  
#493 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 3:08:43 AM(UTC)
BrodyHetland

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Glad I went out to try a new stretch of water on an unfamiliar stream. For expecting today to be rainy and un-fishable, I consider it a total win.

I had lots of bumps / strikes, but was only able to connect on 5 fish in 2 hours of fishing.

I did catch this unique brook trout today. Any guesses on what it was from? Sandhill cranes near by, I did see some form of aquatic mammal tracks too. I can't believe he was still hungry, or alive!

Brook Trout with Weird Head Injury

Brook trout head injury

I was also able to find one good brown too, which I was super stoked about.

Brown Trout from Driftless

Also stumbled upon this cool little birds nest. I thought it made for a cool picture.

Birds Nest by Trout Stream

Did anyone else get out today?

- Brody

thanks 1 user thanked BrodyHetland for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 5/19/2019(UTC)
shebs  
#494 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 4:13:11 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Looks like a heron to me.
I had a killer day today in SE MN, easily 80 to hand in 5 hours, thick caddis, and a 22" out of a logjam. Didn't start raining til 6 down here. Solid day.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
BrodyHetland on 5/19/2019(UTC)
rschmidt  
#495 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 11:52:02 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 45 post(s)
High quality outings have been evading me this season so far, until this weekend. With another flood predicted, it's bound to be tough again for a while.

The bug hatch was heavy on this stream and the fish were active.

First fish to hand was within 5 minutes and a fat, 16"brown.
UserPostedImage

There were many areas of this stream where mouth breathing was difficut due to the bugs. A little further and another fat ass brown!
UserPostedImage

I knew I would likely find some brookies here, and was not disappointed. Back to back 14"ers.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
There were many colored up gems like that from 7" to 14"

This section is several miles and aside from a few flats, there were fish everywhere! The best brown of the day was a fat 17".
UserPostedImage

All together +50 to hand and +20 misses. Great Day! Happy Fishing!!

Now back to your regularly scheduled driftless flood.
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 5/19/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#496 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 8:08:06 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Originally Posted by: BrodyHetland Go to Quoted Post

I did catch this unique brook trout today. Any guesses on what it was from? Sandhill cranes near by, I did see some form of aquatic mammal tracks too. I can't believe he was still hungry, or alive!

Brook Trout with Weird Head Injury

Amazing the damage Trout can sustain and continue to swim. I saw a photo once of a caught Trout that had a hole right though it's mid-section. Probably skewered by a Crane. I've caught a few Trout with similar injuries. There's more Cranes around SW Wisconsin now than I've seen in my 60 years. Lots of Eagles too.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Mark Dahlquist  
#497 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 9:01:21 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
That's pretty incredible. Looks very fresh. Crane or blue heron would think. I name this one Rocky. He will survive.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Mark Dahlquist for this useful post.
BrodyHetland on 5/19/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#498 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 9:14:53 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post

This section is several miles and aside from a few flats, there were fish everywhere! The best brown of the day was a fat 17".
UserPostedImage

All together +50 to hand and +20 misses. Great Day! Happy Fishing!!

Just watched the video of this outing Ron. Another amazing day! It's amazing how you can get right on top of these Trout without spooking them away. That limestone arch is incredible. Big nasty Browns and pretty Brookies too.

Sure wish I had a stream like that nearby. I'd fish it every day.

Well done!
-Bill
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
rschmidt on 5/20/2019(UTC)
rschmidt  
#499 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 1:28:27 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Thanks Bill. As you know, I have many hundreds of stream miles within an hour of me! Happy Fishing!! Ron
shebs  
#500 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2019 1:54:30 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
It's amazing how you can get right on top of these Trout without spooking them away.
-Bill

That's one of the reasons to wade (upstream, of course), rather than walk the banks. I got within 6 feet of a 22" yesterday without spooking him. He swung twice before I hooked him on the third pass.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
rschmidt on 5/20/2019(UTC)