Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

60 Pages«<5253545556>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mmalyuk  
#531 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 5:11:07 PM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Good stuff Gurth!
Mark Dahlquist  
#532 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 7:46:19 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Gurth I think that’s because it’s brook trout only water you guys fished? Shebs told me 15s are common. Get any 14”+ or larger? Cause I’m not driving that far for 11-12” fish.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
shebs  
#533 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 9:50:53 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mark Dahlquist Go to Quoted Post
Gurth I think that’s because it’s brook trout only water you guys fished? Shebs told me 15s are common. Get any 14”+ or larger? Cause I’m not driving that far for 11-12” fish.

There are some browns and even (stocked) bows there - some can be quite large, and the holdover bows are deeeelicious.
The fishing last weekend was less than stellar, as conditions were not ideal, but I hit a 15, Sasquatch a 14, and there were a few 13s as well.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Mark Dahlquist  
#534 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 12:29:04 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Man I guess the DTA Pros did OK but I expect better. This year to me seems BAD for brook trout. I’m not catching fat 13-15” fish like I usually do. And zero trout harvested, FYI. Some people have me pegged as a meat hog which I’m not but have done in the past.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
shebs  
#535 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 12:48:49 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
The 15 I caught took it deep, but he was delicious. I'd feel a lot worse about it if I hadn't caught a dozen that size from that same section in the past 3 years
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
big_river_bum  
#536 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 1:25:09 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Man I guess the DTA Pros did OK but I expect better. This year to me seems BAD for brook trout. I’m not catching fat 13-15” fish like I usually do. And zero trout harvested, FYI. Some people have me pegged as a meat hog which I’m not but have done in the past.

i agree. and not even with just BIG brookies. i've fished nothing but dry flies since like early april and because of this i've probably targeted smaller water on average than ever before

the amount of brookies i've caught is sad.

this could just be random. could be the fishing a smaller number of streams than usual
William Schlafer  
#537 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 2:20:11 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post

i agree. and not even with just BIG brookies. i've fished nothing but dry flies since like early april and because of this i've probably targeted smaller water on average than ever before

the amount of brookies i've caught is sad.

this could just be random. could be the fishing a smaller number of streams than usual

In the southern part of the DA, I've noticed a reduction in the number of Brook Trout in the streams I fish. Two streams in particular 5-6 years ago would normally be 2-1 Brook to Brown Trout, but are now predominately Brown Trout water. I'm still catching Brookies, just not in the numbers I have in the past.

Not sure if this really is an overall trend, or if it's just the streams that I frequent. The water quality seems about the same, although many streams in the south have been hammered with multiple massive floods over the last decade, which has to have an affect on habitat favorable to Brookies.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#538 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 2:39:38 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 131 post(s)
Gurth I think that’s because it’s brook trout only water you guys fished?

For sure.

I was more just trying to put into words how different the water was to what I normally fish.

In all the time I've trout fished, it’s been primarily WAY up north or south (way south) of Viroqua. And most of the southern time has been below the Wisco.

I can't think of anywhere else that I've fished that is primarily brook trout water and is 40 feet wide.

That certainly doesn't happen down here and most of the places I've fished up north are much smaller or (primarily) brown trout water like the Nam.

Ive spent very little time between 90 and 94 and the streams are a novelty of sorts to me at this point.

Kind of like Central Sands a bit.

Like I said... look forward to getting back to the area. I definitely see the potential. Given a little time, I’ll get it figured out. As it was I got 25 to hand and that’s on a day when the fishing seemed slow.

My largest was probably 13 although I didn’t measure.

Wasn’t a new PB, so didn’t really care.

Edited by user Friday, August 16, 2019 3:32:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Mark Dahlquist  
#539 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 4:44:08 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Yep I am concerned about the brookies. I fear they may go away with global warming. July was the hottest July in 140 years for the planet. My childhood friend went to Alaska recently and he said the glaciers are melting at an alarming rate. Trump wants to buy Greenland because once the ice melts there are a lot of natural resources to tap into. Some of the fisheries biologists have done brook trout models with climate change and it's not in their favor. The brook trout populations seem to be crashing. Something happened maybe last winter was bad for them?
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Gurth  
#540 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 5:59:15 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 131 post(s)
Long term doesn't look promising, but I wouldn't draw too many conclusions over anecdotal results from one season.

A small stream that I fish often down here has seen brook trout expand downstream in the past few seasons.

I asked a fisheries biologist about this and he confirmed it and stated that baseflow has increased and cooled in that stream and that the brookies are increasing their numbers and range there.

For now anyway.

I'm realistic and bummed and concerned about climate change, so no one should think that I'm trying to put lipstick on a fat orange pig or anything.

I just see streams change year over year quite a bit, so believe that it's possible that you'll see different results next year or the year after.

At least the EPA isn't being destroyed from within. That would be concerning for people like us.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net