Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

60 Pages«<57585960>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#581 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 9:12:22 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
That's a beastly looking fish. Nice catch!

The plentiful water flows and cool temps have the Trout in a great mood. Most of the streams I've looked at haven't been as weed choked as they have been in previous years also. Great fishing right now.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Gurth on 9/29/2019(UTC)
sasquatch  
#582 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 10:06:44 PM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Thats a gorgeous fish! 2 thumbs waaay up!
"...let that phucker sink for awhile..." ~sasquatch~
thanks 1 user thanked sasquatch for this useful post.
Gurth on 9/29/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#583 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 2:47:06 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 128 post(s)
Have had a recent big fish bug relapse and hit some big fish water again yesterday.

Full sun and mid 80s would not be my preferred trout conditions but had the afternoon free for fishing and won't the rest of the week, so off I went.

I am reminded why I don't go these places after May. While the 8 foot grasses are partially laying down to some degree, they are still an absolute mess to try and power through as they grab knees and ankles and gear. In addition, I can't see the little holes and drops that I occasionally stumble into.

Oh yeah… and this is not wadeable water as far as I'm concerned. Too deep in spots and mucky in others.

Water was in great shape though running about a foot high and with a slight stain. Late afternoon sun was warm and golden and the steady breeze kept me cool enough and kept any lingering bugs away.

Got this guy in the first half hour on an upstream retrieve in a bend hole/drop – again on the orange Shadow Rap.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Couldn't quite stretch him to 20 (19.5), even with that ridiculous kype. Laugh

I've gotten 3 trout in the past 3 days that were over 18 inches on two different streams and they all hit on upstream retrieves and all on that Rap. Panthers have been largely ineffective (sans the one that got snapped off), which is a change from spring on these waters where both lures are taken regularly on downstream (and up) retrieves.

Not sure what to make of that, but thought I'd share.

The rest of the outing was slow with only 3 more strikes and 1 more landed (14-ish). Had one on that felt solid (17-18), but it shook off after a brief fight.

I'm guessing that I'll HAVE to go after bigs again at least one more time before the season ends.

But that's a lot of work and time for only a couple of fish, albeit with a nice one landed. It's more the work that is discouraging than the results though – this is supposed to be fun haha.

That said, the opportunity at a (really) big one keeps dragging me back and it's tough for me to resist.

Will have to balance that with the other places I want to visit before the season runs out.

Here's what my walk back to the van looked like…

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:42:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 10/1/2019(UTC)
Pete  
#584 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 4:02:09 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Going after big fish usually means sacrificing numbers. Tactics are different and there are obviously fewer 20 inch fish around than 8-12 inchers. Judging from the photos, I'd say you made the right decision, quality over quantity.
Gurth  
#585 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 5:43:45 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: Pete Go to Quoted Post
Going after big fish usually means sacrificing numbers. Tactics are different and there are obviously fewer 20 inch fish around than 8-12 inchers. Judging from the photos, I'd say you made the right decision, quality over quantity.

Oh trust me… I understand that one million percent and am very pleased with the fish I caught yesterday and would make the same choice (for yesterday's outing) again. I was just whining like a little b____ about how much work it was. Laugh

But there are ALWAYS opportunity costs and I really enjoy trips to diverse waters and going after diverse populations of trout and those costs are magnified to a degree at the end of a season when there are a finite number of outings left.

See my recent small brookie forays. I enjoyed those days immensely and didn't catch a fish over 14 inches on either day. I'm as pleased about that 6 inch tiger as any other fish that I've caught in the past month.

That dark grey bow from this past weekend is a favorite also.

To me, it's a mistake to equate a quality fish with how big it is. Not all trophies are big fish.

Not all great days require that a big fish be caught.

Not saying that YOU are saying that, but that attitude often pervades fishing communities and I reject it.

I still enjoy fish count days and sometimes quantity does make for a better overall experience, depending upon a combination of other factors.

Ugh… I'm starting to feel the season's end coming and trying to make the most of the outings I have left and to spread them amongst different experiences and stream types.

I fully understand that this is a first world problem.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 1, 2019 5:46:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#586 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 5:45:55 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Here's what my walk back to the van looked like…

UserPostedImage

Nice shot. It's the little things like that which really makes a day out on the stream special.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Pete  
#587 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 6:34:36 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)

But there are ALWAYS opportunity costs and I really enjoy trips to diverse waters and going after diverse populations of trout and those costs are magnified to a degree at the end of a season when there are a finite number of outings left.

See my recent small brookie forays. I enjoyed those days immensely and didn't catch a fish over 14 inches on either day. I'm as pleased about that 6 inch tiger as any other fish that I've caught in the past month.

That dark grey bow from this past weekend is a favorite also.

To me, it's a mistake to equate a quality fish with how big it is. Not all trophies are big fish.

Not all great days require that a big fish be caught.

So true, all of what you said. A lot depends on the mood that day. If it's been awhile since I've fished, especially trout fished, then I like to tangle with numbers of fish, regardless of size. Brook trout, even tiny ones with parr marks from water that is not reputed to hold them are always memorable. And an axe handle pike from a pond that was not known to hold them and a catfish from a smallmouth stream are among my more memorable fish this year just because of the element of surprise.

As far as the end of the season approaching, I too feel the urgency of it. But after October 15th, there will still be salmon, steelhead and lake run browns in the tribs. After that winds down, the first Saturday in January will be here before we know it. At least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.

Gurth  
#588 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 8:33:54 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Gills through the ice!

That’s what I’m looking forward to after the 15th

Still trying to get excited about lake run stuff but that’s only coz I don’t know what I’m doing.

Should do Iowa at least once this fall too.
NBrevitz  
#589 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 10:34:53 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Gills through the ice!

That’s what I’m looking forward to after the 15th

Still trying to get excited about lake run stuff but that’s only coz I don’t know what I’m doing.

Should do Iowa at least once this fall too.

Fish are showing up and they’ll really pour in with this cold snap. I’m actually quite pissed that I’m busy the next 2 wknds because it’ll be prime once the rivers drop
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#590 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 3:13:18 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Funny but I'm busy the next two weekends too but free the 19th and 20th.

Flapper

Best thing about me is that I don’t like salmon, so someone else gets to take my catch home...

Laugh

Edited by user Wednesday, October 2, 2019 3:14:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified