Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

60 Pages«<585960
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rschmidt  
#591 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 12:16:35 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Well after fishing in the mud up north for salmon with no result, I came home and tried fishing in driftless mud on Sunday.

Driftless mud is way better! Hahahha

Never seen the water so high at this point of year. This fish was just a few minutes in. The lure I was using was visible in the water at about 1 foot, the bottom of the stream was not observable.

UserPostedImage
A thick almost 16"er that wrapped himself for delivery.

UserPostedImage
This 13" chunker pounced like a leopard!

UserPostedImage
This near 18" fatty bridge parker responded to my lure after the 10th cast!
About 20 ft down, I lost the biggest fish of this, less than 2 hour fish.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cookie cutter browns at 12 and 13 respectively.

Wading was difficult even in a stream I am familiar with. The recent rains have carved this very small spot to new depths. Excited about early season and next year here.

Happy Fishing - 8 days left for inland trout!
William Schlafer  
#592 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 2:16:30 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Those Browns are chunkers Ron!

I feel like the water conditions this year, while not always favorable for Trout fishermen, have been really good for Trout. They've obviously been feeding well. Hopefully this sets up a good spawn and strong trout fishing in the future.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#593 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 12:52:45 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Got in a short bonus outing yesterday after work.

Did a stretch through some woods and it was some serious bush-whacking at times and there are still a good number of mosquitos around.

Fish on this stream – which I've been focusing on lately and hope to hit all of before the 15th – are still only striking mainly on upstream retrieves. This is unusual and has forced me to change my approach. I actually fished walking downstream (on the bank – bottom is that slippery hard packed clay… VERY treacherous) yesterday.

Got this nice (16+) forest dweller along with a couple of small browns…

UserPostedImage

I never get sick of this sized fish as they really aren't that common amongst the trout that I personally catch. Had another that felt and looked about the same as the one above that shook off in a stronger current.

That's the disadvantage of upstream retrieves… if the hookset isn't solid, they have a much better chance of shaking off coz the current works in their favor. Have to try and steer them to the slower water.

I might get out for another bonus outing Thursday if the rain holds off!

Edited by user Wednesday, October 9, 2019 12:54:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Gurth  
#594 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 5:25:03 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Got out tonight and conditions were superficially ideal for big fish hunting... overcast, on and off light rain, water high and slightly stained.

Only got one strike and she had shoulders...

UserPostedImage

Is that polite to say about a lady? Laugh

She actually kicked my ass pretty good as her hit twisted my wrist and I never was able to get on top of the fight. Luckily the set held or I would have been skunked.

I don’t put a tape to trout that I think are under 18 inches and even at 18 or 19 I rarely bother. I guessed that this one was 15-16. Decided for a quick measure to see how close my guesstimating was.

Turns out not so close as she was a smidge over 17.

At least I underestimated as opposed to some liars I know. LaughFlapper

Next few outings should be on more traditional trout waters.

Edited by user Friday, October 11, 2019 5:30:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 10/11/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#595 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 4:20:57 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Plans to stay at buddy’s over in Grant fell through as he wasn’t gonna be there and I didn’t feel like staying there alone. Fished local today.

When I first got out around 8:00, it was 33 degrees with a strong steady wind, so I’m guessing about 20 with the wind chill. Not a problem as I was dressed for it. Odd to be wintered up in October though.

Anyway… 2 hours of bushwhacking and fighting my way up a sidewalk stream and not a single fish to show for it – not even a strike.

Apparently the trouts at this first destination didn’t get the memo that this was day 1 of my 4 day season-ending trout catching extravaganza.

Couldn’t believe it and was seriously on myself for my bad choice of a destination even though I had done very well there in previous visits.

What to do?

Big water!

Big water is still high and somewhat stained.

My chosen destination is a low-density stream, but the browns that were there were aggressive and feisty today. Even had a couple try to come out of the water after my Panther as I was lifting it.

I heard this recently… “Take a picture of the first fish you catch as it may be the only one.”

After the morning skunk, I was pretty happy to finally get one and not taking any chances…

UserPostedImage

Here’s a hole in the head selfie with another 17-18 incher…

UserPostedImage

Best of the day.

Had a section of his gill plate missing and it looked to be an old injury/deformity.

Fished on for a few hours and got several solid, fun-sized browns along with some smaller ones…

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

That last little one was very cool (to me) as I rarely ever see one so small with such a pronounced spot pattern. Wants to grow up to be a stunner!

Listened to the first half of the Badger game on my phone while finishing up the stretch which was fun and a novelty of sorts.

Was sitting on 11 to hand and really wanted a dozen just coz and after many casts at the last spot, finally got one…

UserPostedImage

Lol… a bow. I’ll take it as a good outing on this stream for fish count (for me) is 5 or 6 to hand.

Couldn’t resist a few more casts after getting back to the van and…

UserPostedImage

Baker’s dozen!

Headed home and on the ride I called home to see if I needed to grab anything for dinner and was informed that chili had been made with garlic bread to go with it.

That was pretty awesome news!

The second stream involved a lot of bushwhacking too and the walk back to the car across 500-600 yards of chest-high grasses nearly broke me.

I’m beat.

If it wasn’t closing weekend, I’d be taking tomorrow off.

Seriously considering some pasture streams.

Saw no one else out today.

Footnote…

I haven’t been able to get strikes on Raps the past few times out and am wondering if the trout are ignoring them now because of the steady stream of debris – mostly leaves – that is drifting by them all day.

All the fish caught today were on Panthers – both upstream and downstream retrieves and a few swung in the current.

Edited by user Sunday, October 13, 2019 10:55:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 10/13/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#596 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:00:32 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Well that's a wrap on the regular season.

Kind of fizzled out in the end but overall a good season.

Met some good new folks who I hope to fish more with in the future, caught my two biggest browns ever and fished a bunch of new places while also keeping the old favorites in the queue.

Final day of regular season…

Took a fellow trout obsessed buddy to a well-known stream in Grant that he had somehow never gotten to. Had him start on the best section while I went a bit downstream to do a stretch and then planned on jumping way ahead of him to hit some of that best section.

I got around 18 cookie cutter browns in the 9-14 inch range. A nice start to the day and now to look for a final decent brown or two.

My buddy ran into another fisherman who jumped him along his stretch and had to skip a long part of the water he was on and ended up fishing the entire good stretch. He did very well including a fat 20. Laugh

I didn't get high-holed directly, but was certainly affected by that guy.

Was 3:00 and a front came through and the cold winds really kicked up. The bite shut off for the most part and we were fishing the less optimal portions of the stream and that was that.

I caught two more cutters the rest of the day.

My final fish of the regular season…

UserPostedImage

That outing on some random day would be fine, but it was a bit disappointing on the finale.

Oh well… them's the breaks and like I said… good season.

Have a few more trout things here and there planned for 2019 but am fine with this part being done.

Have a major backlog of home projects to attend to and will be nice to put away the fishing gear (lake and trout) that has been laying out in the basement since April.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:01:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KruddyTFB  
#597 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 1:58:10 AM(UTC)
KruddyTFB

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I went out in the snow to give it a try since it was the only chance I would have before the end if the season. I decided to try a new to me, shorter stretch of the same river that produced my cousins 16 inch brook.

I found the water to be slightly higher than it was the last time I was there but it appeared to be fishable.

The first cast produced a 7 inch brook trout from underneath the bridge. And the second fish wasn't 20 feet upstream. I walked about 20 minutes upstream, landing a total of 8 fish, until I hit a deep hole in the water. I got out of the water and tried to find a new entry point, but couldn't find anything that looked shallow enough the continue upstream. With the weather being what it was, I decided to cut my losses and accept the anticlimactic end to the season. This was the best fish of the day. 20191017_203634.jpg (3,937kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

I feel like I may need to try up north this year. I've seen too many videos and heard too many stories and feel like it just needs to happen.

Hope you all had better luck than I did!