Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cschub13  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:25:19 AM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

I'm headed to the Northeast end of Puerto Rico in about a month. Couldn't possibly consider travelling without my 8wt. Anyone have any experience fishing in PR or other islands?
Sponsor
Pete  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:15:47 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
No specific Puerto Rico experience for me, but I did fish in the Dominican Republic. It sounds like a similar situation to yours: not strictly a fishing trip, but I wasn't going to spend a week near all that water without a rod. There were some jacks around and they'll hit streamers and poppers (and probably about anything else too); they put up a great fight. I caught something the locals called jurel, but it's not the same as in Mexico, where jurel means yellowtail. These were kind of a square shape, with the mouth on the bottom. I think they were caught on Deceiver-style flies. Their bodies looked really thin, so I'm not sure where their power came from. Locals told me after I'd released them that they are good to eat.

The resorts on the east coast of the DR were hacked out of mangrove swamps and there are still some remnants left. I shouldn't have been surprised but was when a baby tarpon-no more than 15-20 lbs.-hit my Deceiver right off the beach one evening right after sunset. I didn't get a hookset on him, but her gave a nice jump, so I got a good look at him. The mangroves are nurseries for tarpon, so if there are any remaining where you are in Puerto Rico, be ready for a juvenile tarpon.

I'd also suggest bringing some wire for a leader in case you start running into barracudas or needlefish. Have a great trip. Let us know how it goes.
snbrd4evr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 11:34:32 AM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Pete wrote:
No specific Puerto Rico experience for me, but I did fish in the Dominican Republic. It sounds like a similar situation to yours: not strictly a fishing trip, but I wasn't going to spend a week near all that water without a rod. There were some jacks around and they'll hit streamers and poppers (and probably about anything else too); they put up a great fight. I caught something the locals called jurel, but it's not the same as in Mexico, where jurel means yellowtail. These were kind of a square shape, with the mouth on the bottom. I think they were caught on Deceiver-style flies. Their bodies looked really thin, so I'm not sure where their power came from. Locals told me after I'd released them that they are good to eat.

The resorts on the east coast of the DR were hacked out of mangrove swamps and there are still some remnants left. I shouldn't have been surprised but was when a baby tarpon-no more than 15-20 lbs.-hit my Deceiver right off the beach one evening right after sunset. I didn't get a hookset on him, but her gave a nice jump, so I got a good look at him. The mangroves are nurseries for tarpon, so if there are any remaining where you are in Puerto Rico, be ready for a juvenile tarpon.

I'd also suggest bringing some wire for a leader in case you start running into barracudas or needlefish. Have a great trip. Let us know how it goes.

Sounds like a lookdown...

UserPostedImage

They're pretty powerful and extremely fast ThumpUp
cschub13  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:12:22 PM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Pete wrote:

Were you fishing the surf right off the beach for the jacks? Most of my time fishing will likely be early morning walking and wading the surf, so I would definitely be good chasing jacks. Did you use a wire leader? I'm curious to know if it spooks some fish with the water so clear.

I'm hoping at least one day I will be able to fish a lagoon nearby that supposedly holds plenty of juvi tarpon. Thanks for the tips.
Pete  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:14:23 PM(UTC)
Pete

cschub13 wrote:
Pete wrote:

Were you fishing the surf right off the beach for the jacks? Most of my time fishing will likely be early morning walking and wading the surf, so I would definitely be good chasing jacks. Did you use a wire leader? I'm curious to know if it spooks some fish with the water so clear.

I'm hoping at least one day I will be able to fish a lagoon nearby that supposedly holds plenty of juvi tarpon. Thanks for the tips.

Yes, everything was right off the beach. I think jacks typically like to have access to deeper water, so if it's a shallow-sloping shoreline there may not be as many of them around. As is the case with so many species, if you'll be fishing early and late, they probably come in close during low light conditions.

I don't resort to the wire leader unless I'm getting bitten off a lot. My limited experience suggests that it does spook fish: I've gotten far fewer hits and hook ups on wire than on mono or fluorocarbon.

Good luck!
Pete  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:17:40 PM(UTC)
Pete

snbrd4evr

[img wrote:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/Selene_vomer_Nice_226_Lookdown_C.jpg/240px-Selene_vomer_Nice_226_Lookdown_C.jpg[/img]

That looks very similar to what I caught, although I'm not sure about the elongated fins. It could've been the closely-related moonfish according to the description (thanks for the link). Both are members of the jack family, which would account for the fighting ability.

I always wondered what it was that I'd caught. Thanks for clearing it up; it's good to know.
snbrd4evr  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:55:06 PM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Pete wrote:
snbrd4evr

[img wrote:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/Selene_vomer_Nice_226_Lookdown_C.jpg/240px-Selene_vomer_Nice_226_Lookdown_C.jpg[/img]

That looks very similar to what I caught, although I'm not sure about the elongated fins. It could've been the closely-related moonfish according to the description (thanks for the link). Both are members of the jack family, which would account for the fighting ability.

I always wondered what it was that I'd caught. Thanks for clearing it up; it's good to know.

No problem ThumpUp

It helps that I worked at an aquarium for 6 years LOL
cschub13  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 17, 2017 5:59:50 AM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Picked up some Airflo warmwater fly line. I needed some new line for pike this year, but this should serve me well in Puerto Rico first.