Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OrrickOutdoors  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:15:45 AM(UTC)
OrrickOutdoors

Last source got back to me this morning. Ann Miller, author of "Hatch Guide for Upper Midwest Streams" (which I assume is in everyone's pouch), reports "Yes, it's possible!" As a bunch of you guys already knew.
s.t.fanatic  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:18:50 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I saw hundreds of them last week Thursday on a Filmore Co. stream.
TheFadingAngler  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 11:54:55 AM(UTC)
TheFadingAngler

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
OrrickOutdoors wrote:
A quick report and a question:
Hit the Rush yesterday near El Paso. River a bit high but clear. Zebra nymph behind a pink squirrel did the trick early when it was still cold. Light takes on the zebra but they hammered the pink squirrel. By 2 pm a solid hatch was on in sunny tailwaters. Impressive activity on the surface. Some sippers, some splashers. Nymphs went dead and I switched to a tenkara fly vaguely resembling a small comparadun. Solid action. I'm convinced a dry would have worked.
Here's my question: What was hatching? I'm no entomologist but there were more than just midges. I swear I saw a scattering of duns that sure as heck looked like mayfly wings sticking way up from the film. None were taking flight and I never snatched one up close to examine. And I got cold from all the fish handling and had to go. Air temps never got above 25. Dunno water temps. Didn't bring a thermometer.
I thought it was too early - and still too cold - for blue winged olives. Right? What could it have been? Thanks.

William Schlafer wrote:
No, it's not too early for BWOs.
Midges are common in the late winter months, as are Stoneflies. Black Caddis should start appearing in the coming weeks as winter loses it's grip.

-Bill

I was in the same area two weekends ago. That Saturday was cool (33F-36F) and sunny, but there were many rising fish. Late in the morning, I saw what looked like very small, light cream-colored mayflies coming off the water. Closest match I had was a small Light Hendrickson, which worked. A couple of hours later, I was being constantly annoyed by what looked like tiny black caddis flies. My entomology sucks, but it when I looked at the little black creepers, they sure looked like caddis to me.
NBrevitz  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:33:24 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
TheFadingAngler wrote:
OrrickOutdoors wrote:
A quick report and a question:
Hit the Rush yesterday near El Paso. River a bit high but clear. Zebra nymph behind a pink squirrel did the trick early when it was still cold. Light takes on the zebra but they hammered the pink squirrel. By 2 pm a solid hatch was on in sunny tailwaters. Impressive activity on the surface. Some sippers, some splashers. Nymphs went dead and I switched to a tenkara fly vaguely resembling a small comparadun. Solid action. I'm convinced a dry would have worked.
Here's my question: What was hatching? I'm no entomologist but there were more than just midges. I swear I saw a scattering of duns that sure as heck looked like mayfly wings sticking way up from the film. None were taking flight and I never snatched one up close to examine. And I got cold from all the fish handling and had to go. Air temps never got above 25. Dunno water temps. Didn't bring a thermometer.
I thought it was too early - and still too cold - for blue winged olives. Right? What could it have been? Thanks.

William Schlafer wrote:
No, it's not too early for BWOs.
Midges are common in the late winter months, as are Stoneflies. Black Caddis should start appearing in the coming weeks as winter loses it's grip.

-Bill

I was in the same area two weekends ago. That Saturday was cool (33F-36F) and sunny, but there were many rising fish. Late in the morning, I saw what looked like very small, light cream-colored mayflies coming off the water. Closest match I had was a small Light Hendrickson, which worked. A couple of hours later, I was being constantly annoyed by what looked like tiny black caddis flies. My entomology sucks, but it when I looked at the little black creepers, they sure looked like caddis to me.

If you all like midge hatches, hit that area on a warm June-July evening... The fish won't hit anything else, you can bounce a worm off their lips and they'll still be looking up for midges... But I saw BWOs in that system in early March last year on unseasonably warm days
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
taion  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:16:39 PM(UTC)
taion

Man

I saw a sparse BWO hatch today on the Rush
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
tedwin183  
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:57:33 PM(UTC)
tedwin183

As has already been said, absolutely possible for BWO right now. Turn some rocks over and there are all kinds of baetis right now with their wing cases changing color.
weiliwen  
#17 Posted : Friday, March 17, 2017 5:53:09 AM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I was on the river two weeks ago and also saw those small yellow mayflies. A Hendrikson worked for me, as I caught a couple on top, pretty pleased because they were the first dries (except for EHC) that I had tied.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
stan b  
#18 Posted : Friday, March 17, 2017 7:15:16 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I was on the Menomonee yesterday.
There were some kind of insects flying around.
The guy with me couldn't identify them either.
But the rainbows were coming straight up out of the water.
I didn't have any flies small enough.
Only had streamers & buggers.
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
IowaDriftless  
#19 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:54:18 PM(UTC)
IowaDriftless

Man

There was a pretty decent BWO hatch happening Friday. I was able to land a bunch of nice ones on various bwo patterns, as it seemed most of the fish were looking up.

Edited by user Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:55:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified