Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WiScottBrook  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 5:34:59 PM(UTC)
WiScottBrook

I'v always been a panther man....but sometimes I get frisky and swap to the fly rod only for streamers. This winter I started tying flies, and nymphs at that. The wooly bugger in me screamed legs so I ended up tying a bunch of these. "Novice alert"

UserPostedImage

I went out today not even sure if id catch anything. 10 minutes later and a few sloppy noob casts in a fish took. Nothing impressive but none the less I felt great. I thought finally I can call myself a fly fisher.

UserPostedImage

The day kept my spirits high even with the constant snagging. I managed to catch a brookie as well. The creek was small and challenging but I couldnt of picked a better place to give nymphs a whirl

Next challenge "dry fly" any suggestions?

Sponsor
jfinn  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:12:43 PM(UTC)
jfinn

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Parachute Adams
MNFishhunter  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:51:15 PM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

Caddis
Guillermo  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 12:00:27 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I'd recommend a griffiths gnat. Probably the single greatest dry fly you can use because trout are always eating midges, save for a few specific hatches when they might ignore them.
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:26:22 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Caddis will be the go to dry fly in a few weeks. Then, any generic Mayfly pattern. After that, Hippie Stompers and hoppers. It's pretty cool to catch a Trout on a fly you personally tied, isn't it?

Well done!

-Bill

Edited by user Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:26:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
West Branch  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:25:22 AM(UTC)
West Branch

As far as tying goes--and this also fits nicely with upcoming and current hatches--a Griffith's gnat is about as simple as it gets. Tiny hooks and hackles present a bit of an obstacle for those of us who have big sausages for fingers, but it's not hard to do after a bit of practice. Elk hair caddis are always useful and pretty easy to tie. Anymore, I seldom bother with hackle on a caddis. The hair and a bit of flotant keeps them on top, and a body of picked-out fur gives some realism.

It's hard to fish an elk hair caddis wrong. You can pull it under the surface or swim it up stream if a dead drift on top doesn't work. Pinch on a split shot and sink it for something different. An elk hair caddis of the proper size can catch plenty of fish during a mayfly hatch if you match the behavior of the hatching bugs. I know it won't happen, but if someone told me I could only have one fly pattern from now on, I'd choose the elk hair caddis.
AKinMN  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:05:37 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
X3 for caddis

Edited by user Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:12:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kinni  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:14:31 AM(UTC)
kinni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sparkle Dun. Basically the same thing as the caddis others are recommending (without the hackle), but with the hair set upright instead of a down wing. Cheap, readily available materials and simple to tie. Tail of Antron, body of appropriate color dubbing and wing of deer hair.
WiScottBrook  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 10:12:09 AM(UTC)
WiScottBrook

Ended up going with the Parachute Adam's. Good day, the first fish I hooked was a solid fish in the 17" range. Sadly I lost him a foot from the net. 5 fish to hand after, surface activity all over. Good day and a new experience.

UserPostedImage
vmthtr in Green Bay  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2017 8:04:55 AM(UTC)
vmthtr in Green Bay

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
WiScottBrook wrote:
Ended up going with the Parachute Adam's. Good day, the first fish I hooked was a solid fish in the 17" range. Sadly I lost him a foot from the net. 5 fish to hand after, surface activity all over. Good day and a new experience.URL]

Parachute adams are not easy to tie, good job