Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NDFlatlander  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11:08:57 AM(UTC)
NDFlatlander

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Since I've moved to the area back in November, I've been poking around close to home to the various streams within 20 min from my house (after early season opened of course). Results have been good, but generally this has been a couple hour fishing sessions either after work or a quick slip away on the weekends.
After this weekends warm weather, I decided it was time to explore further options. I took the day off of work and headed out before sunrise with a list of streams to check out.

I fished a variety of streams from tiny to large and had an amazing day. Caught most fish on beadhead nymphs, but got a few on midge dries. I've been tying flies all winter and finally got to experiment with a few patterns I had been curious about working down here.

Ended the day with 22 trout to hand, and loosing about half that many.

Great day to be outside and enjoy the area.

Couple highlights were this 16 1/2 brown (biggest so far down here for me) and my first native brookie from the driftless. Even got the brookie on a midge dry to top it all off!

https://scontent.xx.fbcd...9b28f7d4&oe=59613E93
https://scontent.xx.fbcd...ec7ad4e1&oe=596323BA
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 2:19:14 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Well done!

If Viroqua is the northern "heart" of the Wisconsin Driftless Area, Dodgeville is a certainly it's southern equivalent. Lots of good options within a short drive of there. I've spent many hours pounding those streams either side of highway 18.

Sure wish I could just pop out after work to fish. It's a three hour (one way) drive for me. Sad

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos