Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gerrber  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2017 5:09:21 PM(UTC)
Gerrber

As a recent transplant to Minnesota, the big lake up north and the fishery it is has always amazed me. I did a trip up for some steelhead last year, ended up catching a looper and have been hooked ever since. I've been spending the winter scouring the interwebs for tidbits of information on fishing for the chrome, timing, and potential water. I picked up a 6wt 11.5ft echo switch rod this winter as I've always found Spey casting to looks like a blast. I figure it would be fun to try it on some smallies and walleye while being on double duty for the spring steelhead.

My box is filled with the typical nymphs, and glo bugs so I'm set there for nymphing presentations. I plan on hitting just Minnesota waters this year so my opportunities will be more limited based on channel structure and flow(yes I know the WI Brule is where I want to be. Maybe next year). Just curious if anyone does this or has patterns they've have luck with on the North Shore?
Sponsor
wibirdhunter  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 9:27:36 AM(UTC)
wibirdhunter

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Just got home from fishing the Brule and everyone I saw fishing was using spawn,egg/yarn flies,or nymphs and most of them were on spinning tackle or fly rods with a ton of weight (chuck and duck style).!

I threw streamers and lost a small brown at my feet and had one other hit.

I'm hoping if I wait until warmer weather and drop back fish in April the streamer opportunies will be greater but right now it's all finesse tactics which aren't for me.

Edited by user Monday, March 27, 2017 9:29:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Paulie Maclean  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2017 7:05:42 AM(UTC)
Paulie Maclean

There are no fish in the Brule or on the North Shore. Probably best to just stay home.
Seabee1  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:44:46 AM(UTC)
Seabee1

Gerrber wrote:
As a recent transplant to Minnesota, the big lake up north and the fishery it is has always amazed me. I did a trip up for some steelhead last year, ended up catching a looper and have been hooked ever since. I've been spending the winter scouring the interwebs for tidbits of information on fishing for the chrome, timing, and potential water. I picked up a 6wt 11.5ft echo switch rod this winter as I've always found Spey casting to looks like a blast. I figure it would be fun to try it on some smallies and walleye while being on double duty for the spring steelhead.

My box is filled with the typical nymphs, and glo bugs so I'm set there for nymphing presentations. I plan on hitting just Minnesota waters this year so my opportunities will be more limited based on channel structure and flow(yes I know the WI Brule is where I want to be. Maybe next year). Just curious if anyone does this or has patterns they've have luck with on the North Shore?

Bright egg patterns early and egg sucking leaches egg sucking stone fly patterns as the season lingers or wanes regular stone fly and prince nymph patterns or duller color eggs
I have never fished the Brule this is my experience on the north shore
Seabee1  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 11:21:56 AM(UTC)
Seabee1

Timing is really more important than fly selection on the North Shore