Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tedwin183  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2017 8:58:09 PM(UTC)
tedwin183

Hey everybody,

I hope everyone had fun! Team Creek Chubs took a chance at Castle Rock Creek and thankfully didn't strike out! :)

In case you didn't see the final points totals, here are the places in order:

1. Family Fly Fisher (1088)
2. Mouthful of Scuds (546)
3. N.W.A. (534)
4. O' Pros (340)
5. Reel Issues (328)
6. Scud Lives Matter (282)
7. Oat Harvesters (274)
8. Flat Line (270)
9. Creek Chubs (128)
10 Trout Stank (120)
11. Fish Curds (74)
12. Badger Tenkara (70)
13. Coulee Region TU (56)
14. Lip Rippers (40)
15. Midge Monsters (10)

Any fun stories? Half of our team got the Vernon Cty Sheriff called on them because a land owner on the West Fork claimed that an easement meant you had to keep your feet wet. Many colorful words were thrown our team's way...
Sponsor
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 10:35:01 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

Very impressed with the results. This win means a lot! For the hobby, for diversity, for women, for children and for the area.
WI-fly  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 1:16:51 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:
Very impressed with the results. This win means a lot! For the hobby, for diversity, for women, for children and for the area.

I thought the same thing. Was cool to see so many women and kids involved this year, and for women and kids to be the ones who dominated the team results. That Khang family certainly knows how to fish.

My Coulee Region team met our goal, NOT TO GET LAST PLACE. My apologies to my team mates for not picking a better location to fish. Two members fish primarily in MN and the other member is my 14 year old son who is just learning to fly fish. Lesson learned by me -- hit the water with the high concentration of brookies.

This is such a fun event that raises money for youth outdoor activities. It was a fun day of fishing, but the social time at the end of the day was just as enjoyable. I really look forward to doing it again next year. Whether you are on a fishing team or serve in a volunteer capacity, it is a fantastic day with other fish heads.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Cmac  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 5:29:26 PM(UTC)
Cmac

Team N.W.A. , is Ryan Frick and friends, finished 3rd!!!! I was stream judge for team Lip Rippers....they struggled all day, but never quit until the heavy rain about 3:00 pm. Award ceremony attended by estimated 100-150 plus of Driftless fly fishers. Plenty of $$ raised for youth fishing!
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 5:32:33 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
tedwin183 wrote:

3. N.W.A. (534)
4. O' Pros (340)
5. Reel Issues (328)
7. Oat Harvesters (274)
8. Flat Line (270)
9. Creek Chubs (128)
10 Trout Stank (120)
11. Fish Curds (74)
12. Badger Tenkara (70)
14. Lip Rippers (40)
15. Midge Monsters (10)

Are the numbers total Trout caught? Or is it some scoring system I missed? 1000 Trout seems incredible for one team. What fly was the winning team using?

-Bill

Edited by user Monday, March 27, 2017 5:34:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
jfinn  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 7:58:18 PM(UTC)
jfinn

William Schlafer wrote:
tedwin183 wrote:

3. N.W.A. (534)
4. O' Pros (340)
5. Reel Issues (328)
7. Oat Harvesters (274)
8. Flat Line (270)
9. Creek Chubs (128)
10 Trout Stank (120)
11. Fish Curds (74)
12. Badger Tenkara (70)
14. Lip Rippers (40)
15. Midge Monsters (10)

Are the numbers total Trout caught? Or is it some scoring system I missed? 1000 Trout seems incredible for one team. What fly was the winning team using?

-Bill

I believe it is based on length of fish with slots being different point values

Edited by user Monday, March 27, 2017 7:58:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cmac  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:08:31 AM(UTC)
Cmac

Bill,
Not total trout, but scoring system based on length. For example, a 8-9" fish scored 4 points I believe. A 16" scored 10 points, a tiger 40 points. Ryan's team had about 100 or so fish for the four person team. On FB search for Cozad's 1 Fly Contest for contest description and rules. As a judge we were instructed to make sure no fish was EVER removed from the water. We used measuring nets,barbless hooks, and no handling or trophy pics. Very well run charity event.Mike Juran also served as stream judge, for Ryan's team as it turned out.
WI-fly  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2017 9:08:40 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Here are all the rules and scoring information:

Welcome to the 3rd Cozad's Driftless 1 Fly! It's been a long time coming for this idea to get legs and start running! Five years in the making! My goal is to have a friendly competition with ALL anglers, and to bring anglers from all over the Midwest and beyond.

This is a fund raiser for kids fly fishing programs, all proceeds will go to Coulee Region Trout Unlimited, La Crosse, Wisconsin.

Come fish with me,
Peter Cozad

Competition Rules:
•Team of four anglers, one team captain and three teammates.
•fish are measured on inches
•3-5 inches scores 2 points
•5-8 inches scores 4 points
•8-12 inches scores 6 points
•12-15 inches scores 8 points
•15-18 inches scores 10 points
•18-21 inches scores 15 points
•21-24 inches scores 25 points
•Tiger Trout scores 40 points

If the fish measures 5 inches its two points, if the fish is over 5 inches it scores 4 points and so on!

There will be up to 15 teams to participate, so get your team together and sign up ASAP!
If you have a kid on your team, (under 18 yrs old) you will automatically will get a spot in the tournament. The deadline to enter is February 11th, 5:00pm 2107. The video lottery drawing will be February 12th, 2017 and will be released on social media and emails to the team captains.

All stream judges will have to have a measure net, a nest with a ruler printed on the inside of the net. Anglers will also bring a net, you can net the fish and then let the judge score it in their net. If you catch fish on your own and have your own measure net, photograph down (overhead) to get the best measurement reading. Please get you hands wet before touching the fish, laying the fish on the ground and taking a picture is not allowed and will not score! I do not want the fish stressed or harmed. I will allow one Mulligan (freebee) per angler, so if the fish is close enough to score but is moving in your hand, it will score. Why have this rule, we all have taken pictures of fish, i don't want the angler stressing the fish over a measurements! All angler/judges have to record what size, species, time of day, county and water temperature! NO EXCEPTIONS! Score cards will be provided. You will have stream judge that can record this data if they are fishing with you. I"m using this data to archive and to compare for next years event!

Note: I'm waiting for a sponsorship from Cabalas to receive enough measure nets for the competition. Stand by and will keep you informed.

Update 3-17-17: Cabalas, Coulee Region TU and Jan S. Donated 30 measure nets for the judges to use.

Awards:
There will be a individual award and a team award for the largest total points,a casting award.

New awards this year will be:
If you kept your fly on all day, will need a photo of it strung up on your rod to receive award, big fish, open fly casting contest , open fly contest, and best event photo and video. The event photo and video winner will be judge and announced one month after the event. This will give you plenty of time to send images and video.

Fishing Zones:
All fishing has to be done in La Crosse, Monroe, Vernon, Richland, Crawford, Grant, Iowa county! All fish have to be caught in moving water, like streams or spill ways! NO ponds, lakes, reservoirs can be fished! If you cross private land to fish your spot, you MUST have written permission from the land owner, signed and dated! You can still keep your feet wet and fish anywhere you want! Respect the water and the land owners!

Check in and out:
Meet at American Legion, check in time is 6am-7:30am. Anglers can leave The American Legion parking lot at 8am to start fishing. All anglers must be back at the American Legion at 4:00pm to be scored. No exceptions!! All rulings are final!

1 Fly:
All flies have to be hand tied, if you don't tie, one of your teammates have to tie the fly for you!
Anglers allowed to use1 fly, you must bring two flies, one to fish and one for display, all display flies will be archived and displayed in a team fly box at the award ceremonies! All flies have to be barbless or have the barbed pushed down. Each angler will enter the ONE FLY that they are going to fish for the event when they register in the morning! Fly can be altered by cutting or trimming but not adding to it! The fly pattern can have a single hook, tandem hook, or both! You can add any kind of beads, cone heads or non lead around the shank of the hook!
If the fly breaks off, you are out of the competition! NO exceptions!! (Ex-fish, trees, rocks or any other thing that can catch your fly and break you off)! If the angler can get the snag out without breaking it off, then you are still in the game! No glue will be allowed to put on you knot!
At the point of losing fly, document what time it was, at that point you many fish for fun, but your competition fishing is OVER!

Leaders and Tippets:
You can only use Mono or Fluoro Carbon leaders and tippets. No retying your tippet to your leader. Non lead split shots can be used! No tippet ring is allowed.

Team Strategies:
The teams can fish singles, doubles, triples, or as a whole team! The first fly tied on MUST be the One Fly! Not all anglers have to fish right away. For example, in baseball you have a clean up hitter. The team can have one angler not fish right way, but when the clean-up angler breaks off the fly they are done! You can fish any fly pattern you want, your whole team can fish the same pattern, or each angler can choose their own patternt! All flies need to be barbless or barbs pushed down and meet requirements for check in! You can fish in 7 counties, but have to be back at the American Legion at 4:00pm to get scored! NO EXCEPTIONS! Cell phone communication will be allowed to be used as a tool and safety reasons. Just remember, not all cell phones work in the valley and it's time away from fishing.

Entry fee:
$55.00 per person, $220.00 per team. Entry fee includes event T shirt, event poster, buffet dinner from Driftless Cafe and a guarantee good memories. The team captain is in charge of collecting teammates entry fee, team name, shirt sizes, and keeping them informed of the event.
Singles can aslo enter, $55.00 per angler. If i get enough single anglers i will form a "Pick Up Team".

Each angler can order two shirts, one inculded with your fee, and $20.00 for extra T-shirt. This is only for anglers that play, no other T-shirts will be sold.

This year will be a casting competition. IFFF Certified Instructor Bob Silverdoc Blumreich was the master mind of this idea and will be the judge of it, thank you Bob.

Three reasons I'm adding this event: you will add team points and if there is a tie breaker the closest team to the bullseye
will win the competition, and it will be lots of fun!

UPDATES: The casting course has change this year, Bob Blumreich will explain the rules and scoring. It will be similar to the rules below.

Rules:
1) You pick one member of your team to compete.

2) All casters will use the same fly rod, fly line, reel, leader and yarn "bug". The rod and reel set up will be 3-4wt. I will
keep you guessing on make and model.

4) The Angler gets 10 false cast away from the target and then they have to cast AT the target.

5) The target will be 3ft ring, bullseye will be a coffee cup. The bullseye will be 40ft away.

6) To score a bullseye, the yarn "bug" must drop into the target cup. Bullseye scores 16 points. In case of more than one
Bullseye, the caster's next closest cast will be the tie breaker. 40 points is the score of a Tiger Trout if caught on the day
of the event, it's a change to catch a concrete tiger.

7) The angler gets 3 casts, and the angler has to CHOOSE which will be the working cast. Example, if the first cast is 15 inches away from the bullseye and the angler feels that's his/her best cast, then it will be scored. If you decide to keep the score on the first cast, you will not get to cast again. Same with the second cast.

The casting will take place at the American Legion parking lot after all the teams check in after fishing.

I had a great response for this fund raiser, and had to turn people away! To make it fair for the anglers that could not enter last event, I'm going to let the individual winner and the team winner come back to defend their title! They can only come back one time! Team AZN Fly Angler will not be coming back because they are 2 time winners. but if Jacob and Mitchell Khang (youth members of AZN Fly Anglers) form a team they will automatically be in the competition since they are kids under 18 year old. I will have a lottery drawing for the rest of the teams/individuals and will post the teams on social media who the 2017 teams will be. This fund raiser is for ALL anglers, and want everyone to have a fair chance to compete!

Deadline to enter:
February 11th, 5:00pm 2017
Video lottery drawing will be February 12th, 2017

Payments:
Please make the entry fee check to Coulee Region Trout Unlimited, all proceeds go to Coulee Region Trout Unlimited kids fly fishing programs!

You can pre order Driftless Brewing Company special event beer, Double Amber 20oz bottle, $10.00 each, $12.00 at the event, with the 1 Fly that won it last year on the beer label. You can order as many as you want. First come first serve.

Driftless Brewery Company will have beer on tap at the award ceremony, but the 1 fly beer will only come in 20oz bottles.

Event Time Schedule:
6:00am-7:30am Register at the American Legion.

8am-4:00pm fishing.

4:00-5:30pm scoring, casting competition and food/beer/water will be served at the American Legion, 102 N. Rusk St, Viroqua, WI. The legion is located one block of the fly shop.

6:00-7:30pm Awards Ceremony/bucket raffle/silent auction/guest speakers
7:30-8:15 pm Social time!

8:15pm We will move the event to the Driftless Cafe or you can stay at the American Legion.

9:30ish-close, Sandler, Shawn, and Jamie Waggoner will play music! He sings about fly fishing in the Driftless Area, Come one, come all to the 3nd Cozad's Driftless 1 Fly fund raiser/competition!

I will have a professional photographer/Videographer documenting this event!

All anglers are responsible to find their own lodging!

Come fish with me!
Peter Cozad
=============
Curt Rees
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
WI-fly  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2017 9:18:08 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

The winning team was Jerry Khang's wife, Choua, and their two kids Mitchell and Jacob. Their fourth member was Ger Moua's significant other, can't remember her name. Their winning flies weren't anything special, olive nymphy looking things, about a size 10-12. Each was a different pattern. They just know where to be to find the fish, so any fly probably would have been successful. Choua was the top angler of the event and I think she caught over 50 fish. The boys also were in the 40+ range as well.

This is the 3rd year in a row that the Khang boys were on the winning team. They certainly know what they are doing!!! It was cool to see Choua as the top angler. She's a very kind and humble winner.
=============
Curt Rees
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
tedwin183  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 12:41:34 AM(UTC)
tedwin183

WI-fly wrote:
The winning team was Jerry Khang's wife, Choua, and their two kids Mitchell and Jacob. Their fourth member was Ger Moua's significant other, can't remember her name. Their winning flies weren't anything special, olive nymphy looking things, about a size 10-12. Each was a different pattern. They just know where to be to find the fish, so any fly probably would have been successful. Choua was the top angler of the event and I think she caught over 50 fish. The boys also were in the 40+ range as well.

This is the 3rd year in a row that the Khang boys were on the winning team. They certainly know what they are doing!!! It was cool to see Choua as the top angler. She's a very kind and humble winner.

I actually suggested to Peter that a worthwhile rules change would be to have a minimum fish size of 11". This stops a handful of teams from going to the 5-8" brookie water and yanking 150+ fish, but should still give each team a decent number of scoring fish given they're on the mark. The suggestion was in no way disparaging the top teams, they are all top-shelf fly fishers. I just think this might help add some parity to the tournament and maybe allow a lucky team to squeak past the Khang family once in a while. We need all the help we can get. :)

Besides the "small fish in big numbers wins" strategy that I think needs to change, I felt that it was a tightly run event that provided an extremely fun and friendly atmosphere. I definitely hope we get picked in the lottery again next year.