Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:14:50 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
How were fishing locations/streams determined? Was it solely by team choice, or was there some coordination to ensure two teams don't show up on the same stream? I think I read that one team went as far away as Castle Rock Creek.

There are so many variables that factor into strategy for an in an event like this. Do you fish the bigger water to try and score larger fish? Or do you go for numbers? If weather is variable, do you go for the potential hatch? Or do you pound the water with generic attractor patterns?

Very interesting.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
WI-fly  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:59:46 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
tedwin183 wrote:
WI-fly wrote:
The winning team was Jerry Khang's wife, Choua, and their two kids Mitchell and Jacob. Their fourth member was Ger Moua's significant other, can't remember her name. Their winning flies weren't anything special, olive nymphy looking things, about a size 10-12. Each was a different pattern. They just know where to be to find the fish, so any fly probably would have been successful. Choua was the top angler of the event and I think she caught over 50 fish. The boys also were in the 40+ range as well.

This is the 3rd year in a row that the Khang boys were on the winning team. They certainly know what they are doing!!! It was cool to see Choua as the top angler. She's a very kind and humble winner.

I actually suggested to Peter that a worthwhile rules change would be to have a minimum fish size of 11". This stops a handful of teams from going to the 5-8" brookie water and yanking 150+ fish, but should still give each team a decent number of scoring fish given they're on the mark. The suggestion was in no way disparaging the top teams, they are all top-shelf fly fishers. I just think this might help add some parity to the tournament and maybe allow a lucky team to squeak past the Khang family once in a while. We need all the help we can get. :)

Besides the "small fish in big numbers wins" strategy that I think needs to change, I felt that it was a tightly run event that provided an extremely fun and friendly atmosphere. I definitely hope we get picked in the lottery again next year.

Good idea. Maybe there could be a limit on the number of small fish you can register, kind of like some of the slot limits in walleye tournaments. Might force some strategy to fill up on the littles and then go looking for bigger fish elsewhere.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Gurth  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:10:43 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Or maybe a handicapping system like golf. Make those experienced/skilled anglers go after decent fish if they want to score big.

I assume this is meant to be an inclusive event, so you probably have to allow the little fish so that no one is marginalized, but the experienced fisherman shouldn't get the same credit for an 8 inch trout as a 10 year old.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
WI-fly  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:14:47 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

William Schlafer wrote:
How were fishing locations/streams determined? Was it solely by team choice, or was there some coordination to ensure two teams don't show up on the same stream? I think I read that one team went as far away as Castle Rock Creek.

There are so many variables that factor into strategy for an in an event like this. Do you fish the bigger water to try and score larger fish? Or do you go for numbers? If weather is variable, do you go for the potential hatch? Or do you pound the water with generic attractor patterns?

Very interesting.

-Bill

You can pick any water you want within the designated counties. I had a location in mind that I knew well, but there was already another team already there when we arrived. We just jumped up the stream a mile to stay out of their way.

Some teams were looking for hatches and active fish, while I know that others covered a lot of water with a generic pattern. Lots of strategy involved, which makes it fun.
=============
Curt Rees
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Trout_Stalker  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 2:02:15 PM(UTC)
Trout_Stalker

I was unable to make it to this year's event, and hope to bring a team next year. Reading about the rule scenario that's been laid out, and not being familiar with the way walleye tournaments are run, I was thinking you might allow up to X fish per angler in the smaller size ranges and work up to removing a ceiling on the larger fish, knowing that they are limited anyway. If you have everyone's scorecards, there are probably very distinct thresholds that are evident when you look at the data. Maybe you also add something like 5 points for a brookie, 10 for a brown, 15 for a rainbow, I saw you had 40 for a Tiger, and perhaps you call out a bonus if they catch any three species or if they get all 4. Just ideas.
tedwin183  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:14:48 PM(UTC)
tedwin183

WI-fly wrote:
tedwin183 wrote:
WI-fly wrote:
The winning team was Jerry Khang's wife, Choua, and their two kids Mitchell and Jacob. Their fourth member was Ger Moua's significant other, can't remember her name. Their winning flies weren't anything special, olive nymphy looking things, about a size 10-12. Each was a different pattern. They just know where to be to find the fish, so any fly probably would have been successful. Choua was the top angler of the event and I think she caught over 50 fish. The boys also were in the 40+ range as well.

This is the 3rd year in a row that the Khang boys were on the winning team. They certainly know what they are doing!!! It was cool to see Choua as the top angler. She's a very kind and humble winner.

I actually suggested to Peter that a worthwhile rules change would be to have a minimum fish size of 11". This stops a handful of teams from going to the 5-8" brookie water and yanking 150+ fish, but should still give each team a decent number of scoring fish given they're on the mark. The suggestion was in no way disparaging the top teams, they are all top-shelf fly fishers. I just think this might help add some parity to the tournament and maybe allow a lucky team to squeak past the Khang family once in a while. We need all the help we can get. :)

Besides the "small fish in big numbers wins" strategy that I think needs to change, I felt that it was a tightly run event that provided an extremely fun and friendly atmosphere. I definitely hope we get picked in the lottery again next year.

Good idea. Maybe there could be a limit on the number of small fish you can register, kind of like some of the slot limits in walleye tournaments. Might force some strategy to fill up on the littles and then go looking for bigger fish elsewhere.

I had considered that, but some of us just don't know every stretch of stream up there like some people do. Most people can get access to names and sections of creeks up there that produce fish in the 11" range, but for example I couldn't tell you where to find a stretch of creek with tons of little brook trout. Plus, there's tons more water up there that produces 11" fish than there is that produce 100's of 5-8" brook trout. I just thought that 11" minimum was the easiest way to get the tournament back to general trout fishing techniques, and away from small fish in big numbers. Then you wouldn't necessarily have to retire teams like the Khang family.
WI-fly  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:00:13 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

I met with Pete Cozad last night to wrap up some financial stuff after the event and we do have a date for next year's 1Fly.

Put March 24, 2018 on your calendar.
=============
Curt Rees
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
WI-fly  
#18 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 7:56:59 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

I was crunching some numbers to complete the DNR tournament report and thought you all might find this interesting. This breaks down species caught per county. My initial impression was that a lot more brooks were caught, but not the case.

The winning team caught 64 brookies and 117 browns.

UserPostedImageScreen Shot 2017-04-21 at 9.50.29 PM by Curt Rees, on Flickr

UserPostedImageScreen Shot 2017-04-21 at 10.22.19 PM by Curt Rees, on Flickr

UserPostedImageScreen Shot 2017-04-21 at 10.23.59 PM by Curt Rees, on Flickr

UserPostedImageScreen Shot 2017-04-21 at 10.18.14 PM by Curt Rees, on Flickr

Edited by user Friday, April 21, 2017 8:26:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

=============
Curt Rees
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
tedwin183  
#19 Posted : Sunday, April 23, 2017 7:17:00 PM(UTC)
tedwin183

Very interesting, but the points still add up to roughly a 5-8" fish average from the winning team, so brown or brookies, they were still mostly dinks. Again, this isn't to disparage the skills of the winning team(s), they are all tremendous fly fishers. Yanking that number of any size fish is an incredible accomplishment. What I think this data says more than anything is that a minimum 11" scoring rule would definitely add some amount parity to the competition.
MN Streamer Eater  
#20 Posted : Sunday, April 23, 2017 8:31:44 PM(UTC)
MN Streamer Eater

Awesome results! With this much data, all from the same day and mostly same conditions (overcast/rainy), I would be interested to see the breakdown of fly type (nymphs, streamers, etc.) to fish #'s and size.
Broke college student obsessed with fly fishing.
My Page: Instagram
Winona State On The Fly: Instagram