Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#21 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 5:30:19 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

Curt, thanks for collecting that data. Very good to visually see the results.

Kudos to Peter Cozad and the teams for participating.
s.t.fanatic  
#22 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 4:04:58 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Just curious about the outcome for the 2018 event. I know the winners but would enjoy seeing all the numbers.
WI-fly  
#23 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 7:00:18 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Oops, I thought I had posted that already. Here you go.

[img=UserPostedImage1fly by Curt Rees, on Flickr]1Fly[/img]

Kind of hard to read from that image, but the overall winner was Norm Yackle. He caught 75ish fish. No monsters, but mostly browns between 12-15". He was throwing a small streamer, tied in a Fix pattern, #8. Norm is a good dude. Has no kids, so he gets to fish all the time. Remember those days? Me neither.

Norm's team, the Limestoners, was the overall winner. He fished with David Holmes, Jason Rieke, and Matt Kalmes. All very fishy guys. This was the first year that the AZN/Family Fly Fishers did not win. They had a very good day, finishing 2nd, but lots of them broke off early in the day.

My team was Coulee Region TU. For the 2nd year in a row, we did not get last! :) My highlight of the event was my 15 year old son finally catching a brook on the fly. He loves to spin fish, so the fly rod is a challenge for him. Was thrilled to see him get on the board.

It was a weird day for me. I caught a bunch of tiny fish (less than 7") that didn't score. I also lost 3 good fish right at the net. Took me a while to remember how to play fish on barbless hooks. None of those fish would have moved me too far in the standings, but fishermen need to have some regret, don't we?

The weather was sketchy, but it didn't turn out as bad as forecasted. Lots of rain in the morning, just a few snow flakes, and the wind was tolerable. My team had a nice reprieve when my friends from the Ruprecht Family invited us in for lunch - hot soup, cold beers, and cookies the size of pancakes. Heavenly.

Such a good day overall. We all had a fun day and raised $3000+ for youth outdoor projects. The banquet/reception was fun and the Legion in Viroqua were good hosts again for us.

Put this event on your calendar next year and track down a team of 4. The exact date hasn't been settled, but it will be on a Saturday toward the end of March. Easter is in April next year, so the date will likely be March 30.

The whole thing is promoted and organized in Facebook, so look for Pete Cozad's work there.

Edited by user Friday, April 20, 2018 7:01:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
s.t.fanatic  
#24 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 1:59:21 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Thanks for the report. Im tossing around the idea of putting together a team. I'm a busy guy so I doubt it will happen but you never know.
big_river_bum  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2018 12:14:54 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
they should do a 1-DRY fly event Woot
tedwin183  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 5:57:20 AM(UTC)
tedwin183

It was a ton of fun despite the low turnout for teams (Easter weekend = bad time for a tournament). Peter and Co. were emphatic that they wouldn't let that happen again. My wife won 3/11 raffles. As usual, the Creek Chubs are eagerly awaiting next year's Cozad's 1 fly. I was very glad they took the minimum size restriction and applied it. It was so much fun hearing how people adapted to that.