Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
s.t.fanatic  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 7:23:27 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm in need of a spinning reel and was wondering what is a favorite and also what to stay away from. I'm thinking something fairly high end. Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
OTC_MN  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 7:58:43 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Depends on what the definition of 'high end' is (you can spend $800 on a Shimano Stella or Daiwa Steez).

But, bang for the buck, it's really, really hard to beat a Pflueger President or Supreme. Great drag, and they're reliable as can be. Daiwa Fuego or Lexa are also very, very solid. Abu Garcia has either the Orra SX or Revo S. I like my Revo, was less happy with the Orra SX. Those all run from $100-$120. Just down from that, the Pflueger Purist is @ $80 and it's a workhorse. Have a friend who guides and has to rig a dozen client rods for total noobs, and Purists are all he uses.

HTH
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Hoggies  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 8:38:19 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have a daiwa revros MX that I really like, but it's a 2500 and I mostly use it for walleye and bass fishing now (I felt like it was overkill for stream fishing). I used it on my trout rod last season, but it came prespooled with the most worthless braid line I'd ever encountered. It cast amazingly, but the stuff was in the 2lb test range. I should have swapped it out a lot sooner than I did, and I lost a lot of lures to snags. Now I use a Cabela's proguide, which for $35 on sale I don't really have any complaints about aside from the drag clicker not being very loud.
s.t.fanatic  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 12:08:10 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Let's go ahead and say in the $100.00-$200.00 range. And please just personal experiences or experiences of friends. I hate online reviews and don't take the good or the bad as even close to reliable info.
stan b  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 12:28:49 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
s.t.fanatic wrote:
Let's go ahead and say in the $100.00-$200.00 range. And please just personal experiences or experiences of friends. I hate online reviews and don't take the good or the bad as even close to reliable info.

I have 2 Pfluegger President U/L reels.
Each spooled with different line, 4# and 6# and 1 spool of braided line.
They are very solid sturdy reels with very smooth drags.
The smooth drag is important to me.
The also retrieve quietly and again very smoothly.
Also very important to me.
I couldn't be happier with them!

I believe I got them for right at $60 each.

Good luck!

Edited by user Monday, March 27, 2017 1:20:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
ChadS  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 12:36:12 PM(UTC)
ChadS

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I bought a Daiwa SS1300 that I am liking a lot. It is old school and been around a long time. Built like a tank.
rschmidt  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 12:38:56 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Check on the Pfleuger Presidente. Has 10 bearings and works well. Thick bail wire and nice handle. For 60$ there is no better. I also like the Diawa Legalis ($50). On both of these I would not select the ultra light. Go one size up. Casts braid better and has a better retrieve rate, drag and horsepower. Also the Pflueger I bought has a spool designed for braid. There are rubber splines on the spool so no tape needed nor spool slip.

Btw, even if you pay $500, do your best to prevent the reel from being submerged in the streams. Even a good reel will lock down quick with some sand in it.

R

Edited by user Monday, March 27, 2017 12:40:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

s.t.fanatic  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 1:54:59 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

rschmidt wrote:

Btw, even if you pay $500, do your best to prevent the reel from being submerged in the streams. Even a good reel will lock down quick with some sand in it.

R

This is usually the reason my reels go to hell but not always. Before I started fishing the nicer stuff made by Quantum I couldn't find a reel that I couldn't ware out in less than two years. I'm considering switching brands but that is a hard thing to do after having such good luck with one brand.

There is a Pflueger Patriarch for sale at cabelas for $70 below retail that i'm eyeing up. The only thing is that they are made out of Magnesium and I'm worried about the durability. May try the Penn Clash but hear that Penn quality has gone to hell after moving production to china. Not sure about that because the quantum reels I love are from China.
Hoggies  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 2:54:33 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
My buddy just broke a patriarch. Smooth reel, though. Not sure what kind of mayhem he put it through, but his net total for the day was 3 lures lost, a hole in his waders' gravel guard, and a broken reel.
Siggy1  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 3:53:11 PM(UTC)
Siggy1

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I definitely agree with the president, it's a really nice reel for the money. I also have 2 shimano symetres that I love that go for $100.