Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
s.t.fanatic  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:16:31 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I ended up going with the Penn Clash. I hope I like it. If I don't It's getting sent back and I'll keep ordering and sending back until I find something up to my standards. It is getting tougher and tougher to find quality made spinning reels. Most are being made out of plastic. Under most circumstances their fine but they are less durable and they flex more. And yes I have broke a $150 quantum right in half before.
rschmidt  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:18:21 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Give a report on the Penn. I considered it but went with the Pfleuger. R
s.t.fanatic  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:47:06 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

rschmidt wrote:
Give a report on the Penn. I considered it but went with the Pfleuger. R

Will do. It will be here Friday. Not sure if i'll get the chance to use it this weekend though. My Godsons 1st birthday party is on Saturday and we have the Fools five road race in Lewiston on Sunday.
oldsaltnfla  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 23, 2017 10:13:14 AM(UTC)
oldsaltnfla

Hey Everyone,
First time to post. Regarding spinning reels, I am very old school. I just like the older stuff. I am planning a permanent move from Florida to Eastern Tennessee this September and will be fishing the smaller streams for mostly small trout. I fly fish as well as spin fish. For spin fishing for small trout I really like the ultra lite Mitchell 308. The one I have is about 50 or so years old, but in like new condition. I also like the Shakespeare Model 1730 closed faced reel that hangs under the rod. I use it on an ultra lite fiberglass Sillflex rod that has rings on the grip instead of a reel seat. The 1730 has a very light drag that is very smooth. I know these reels are not new, but can be found on that famous auction site we all know and love at usually fair prices. I think one advantage to these vintage reels is that they are all very well made with all metal parts and have stood the test of time.
Joe
Hoggies  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2017 8:44:25 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I just got a lightly-used Daiwa Freams (size 2000). It's very smooth. I'm running it on a 6'6" MLF Cabela's Fish Eagle. The rod is rated for 1/8-5/16 oz lures, but it casts a 1/16th oz jig just fine.
s.t.fanatic  
#16 Posted : Friday, July 7, 2017 5:26:20 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

In regard to the Penn reel I bought, It's a nice reel but I don't think I'd buy another one. I have a problem from time to time with the ling getting hung up on the bail around the line roller. Never had this problem with the Quantum reels I used. They had a tapered piece in that area that the line would slip over and not be able to hang up. Not sure what to do anymore. The quality just isn't there any more with Quantum and I have always used their high end reels.