Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NDFlatlander  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:52:38 AM(UTC)
NDFlatlander

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Got into tying my own leaders recently and am impressed with the results, especially with longer dry fly and streamer leaders, but have not found a good solution for nymphing with an indicator.

I prefer the New Zealand style indicators and the multiple blood knots required to to get a proper taper to the leader tend to greatly reduce the ammount of adjustment one can make as far as depth is concerned.

I have attempted a few leaders with a 24 to 30 inch level section to allow for adjustment, but turn over is less than desirable.

Looking for suggestions on other methods.

Currently I have just been purchasing 9 foot 5X tapered leader, cutting back the tippet section, tying in a tippet ring, and adding the appropriate length of tippet for the situation at hand.

Sponsor
Guillermo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:47:46 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
NDFlatlander wrote:
Got into tying my own leaders recently and am impressed with the results, especially with longer dry fly and streamer leaders, but have not found a good solution for nymphing with an indicator.

I prefer the New Zealand style indicators and the multiple blood knots required to to get a proper taper to the leader tend to greatly reduce the ammount of adjustment one can make as far as depth is concerned.

I have attempted a few leaders with a 24 to 30 inch level section to allow for adjustment, but turn over is less than desirable.

Currently I have just been purchasing 9 foot 5X tapered leader, cutting back the tippet section, tying in a tippet ring, and adding the appropriate length of tippet for the situation at hand.

I use a variation of the Gary Borger unibody system for all my leaders. The leader has three sections and a tippet ring on the end of it. For example, you would have 3 feet of 25lb Maxima Chameleon/Clear, 1 foot of 12 lb Maxima Chameleon/Clear, and 3 feet of 8 pound Maxima Chameleon/Clear ending in a tippet ring. Dropping from 25lb to 12lb requires a 5/7 blood knot, meaning 7 turns of the 12 pound and 5 turns of the 25lb, this allows the knot to be equal length on both sides and not break easily. From there, you add about a foot or foot and a half of your desired tippet and attach your fly. Split shot, if desired, can be placed just above the tippet ring to keep it from sliding down. If using an indicator obviously it can be placed anywhere above the split shot. The main idea with this leader is to always keep the first and third section the same length, and the middle section one foot (2-1-2, 2.5-1-2.5, 3-1-3, etc). I even use the same leader for dry flies, but instead of a foot or foot and a half of tippet I use 2 1/2 or 3 feet. I've tied leaders using this format up to 12 feet without tippet and they turn over beatifully.
OTC_MN  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:18:43 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
NDFlatlander wrote:

I have the same dilemma when I use a hand tied leader. If you try to add too long a flat section in the middle or bottom 1/3 it hinges really badly and won't turn over well. If I use hand tied leaders, I either use the Borger formula Gui mentioned above, which does work, or, I just use the little NZ indicator tool to quickly take the indicator off and move it above the knot. Takes a few seconds. Honestly though, I also often use an Umpqua Power Taper leader with a tippet ring. They turn over indicators great, and do the same for a hopper/dropper.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
NDFlatlander  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 8:17:04 AM(UTC)
NDFlatlander

Man

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the Borger uni body a try.
sparcegrey  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 1:05:26 PM(UTC)
sparcegrey

I go simple, 4 1/2 ft 20#. 3 ft 15#, 2 ft 8# to a tippet ring then 4x plus 5x as needed.

chuck
NDFlatlander  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 6:51:11 AM(UTC)
NDFlatlander

Man

So, after some research and development on a nymphing leader build, I thought I'd share what I came up with.
I started with the Borger dead drift nymph leader formulas, then modified a bit, added a tippet ring, adjusted lengths, just slightly and wallah.

40 inches of 25lb maxima (0.020")
10 inches of 12lb maxima (0.013")
36 inches of froghair 1x (0.010")
Small tippet ring
12" of whatever tippet (4X, 5X, 6X)

This build has been working really well for me and there is 36" of indicator adjustment available, which covers about everything I've ran into yet this season.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
TBenton  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 11:16:06 PM(UTC)
TBenton

Just getting back into Fly Fishing, I appreciate all the advice being provided!
flyfishingfreak  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 11:27:40 PM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

long, light (thin) mid section so it sinks quicker for nymphing. if you can't cast it then learn how to.
madguy30  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 2, 2017 4:47:56 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
sparcegrey wrote:
I go simple, 4 1/2 ft 20#. 3 ft 15#, 2 ft 8# to a tippet ring then 4x plus 5x as needed.

chuck

Does 20# make a difference in casting?

I've got mine to begin with 2 feet each of 25#, 15#, 8#, then if I'm in a trout stream I'll add 2-3 feet of 4#, although I tend to cut the butt section to 1 foot...25# seemed a bit bulky at that length.

I don't like to fish with long leaders so this works fine.

If I'm in warm water I'll go 3-4 feet of 25# and 3 feet of 15# or wire bite if northern or musky are around.