Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Guillermo  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2017 8:07:51 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Don't pay any mind to those maps. The only surefire accurate information is in the regulation book and early season document listed below it.

To answer your first question, the Pine IS the only river open in Florence and the North Branch of the Peme is not open for its length through Florence County, only is it open once it reaches 141 in Marinette County. And yes, the Pine is open early in Forest County DOWNSTREAM of 55.

I Read your new version. Perhaps I should have been more thorough in my review earlier, but I'll section off some information for each County (the ones I'm most familiar with anyway) below:

Marinette- You have the Peshtigo listed as being open for C&R for a length of 40 miles. However, for it's length through Marinette County, it is only open for C&R UPSTREAM from Highway C. For it's length in Forest County, it's open for C&R DOWNSTREAM from US Highway 8 only (so it's open between Hwy 8 and Cty C). The Rat River is open for C&R for it's entire length through Marinette County, but only DOWNSTREAM from Scattered Rice Lake in Laona (Forest County). The Pike in Marinette is open for C&R BETWEEN Highways V and K. The North Branch of the Peme is only open DOWNSTREAM from 141.

Forest- Peshtigo is open for C&R DOWNSTREAM from US Highway 8, Pine DOWNSTREAM from Highway 55, Rat DOWNSTREAM from Scattered Rice Lake.

Florence- Entire length of Pine is open here for C&R, however the North Branch of the Peme is, contrary to what you have listed, not open for it's length through this county.

Langlade- ONLY the Wolf River, for it's entire length through the County, is open for C&R. The others you have listed (Middle Br. Embarrass, Plover, Prairie, Red, S. Br. Oconto, are NOT open for C&R where they flow through Langlade County.

Oconto- The only 2 rivers open are the North Branch of the Oconto DOWNSTREAM from Highway 64, and the South Branch of the Oconto DOWNSTREAM from Highway AA.

Lincoln- Regs say all streams west of State Highway 51 are open, and the Prairie is open only DOWNSTREAM from Highway J.

I know it will be painstaking and time-consuming, but I recommend sitting down with the 2017-2018 regulations and Early Season Stream list and going county by county for all 72 of 'em. That's the only way I can see where you will get complete and accurate information without errors. No offense to the person who sent you the data, but I think much of it may be incorrect.

I know most of the water in NE WI like the back of my hand, so keep shooting questions if you have any.
troutspotr  
#12 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2017 11:27:38 AM(UTC)
troutspotr

Quote:
I know most of the water in NE WI like the back of my hand, so keep shooting questions if you have any.

Your feedback is absolutely fantastic. I'm taking some time to make a detailed map of the problems that I see, a couple of extra screenshots, and a spreadsheet (YUCK!) of all streams that are causing problems.

I'll respond in depth later, but I just wanna say thanks to you and all the folks that have given feedback. It's at times disconcerting, but it's always exciting.
troutspotr  
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 9:33:46 PM(UTC)
troutspotr

Sent a big email to my contact in the DNR. Given that there's so little early season left, I don't think they'll get around to cleaning it in time.

But in the meantime, despite these setbacks, the latest version I pushed to staging just now is pretty good.

Finally got access points and tributaries on the map.
UserPostedImage

Reduced "Unnamed" creeks from 1056 down to fewer than 70. Gui's feedback really made me turn-and-burn on this one.
UserPostedImage

Tweaked the north-east section of WI to be a bit more cogent.
UserPostedImage

Added a "copy to clipboard" function - tap the title of the creek to copy to clipboard. Easier to send the stream to a friend.
UserPostedImage

https://troutspotr2-wisconsin.herokuapp.com
WI-fly  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 6:39:06 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Demo and backstory for Troutspotr

https://vimeo.com/204800194
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
troutspotr  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 6:38:29 PM(UTC)
troutspotr

OK, I'm working on making the north-eastern Wisconsin region smaller - the one near Upper Peninsula. The problem is that this particular region has about 1000 streams in it, which is just way too big.

I'm gonna break it down into two more regions, but I need your help. What should the names be? Each region needs a simple name that identifies that region uniquely, across all states.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I've never fished this part of the country, so I could really use some help here.
Does anybody have some suggestions?
troutspotr  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 7:12:53 PM(UTC)
troutspotr

Here's an exact image of the regions I'm working with. If you got any ideas for names, now's the time. Once I release 2017's version, it's pretty much set in stone.

UserPostedImage
Guillermo  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:00:40 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Can't open your pictures now but will review when I get to my home computer.

In the meantime, I just noted a few corrections to regulations needing attention.

-On the Rat River, get rid of the C&R section above Scattered Rice Lake (Forest County) as it is not open.
-North Branch Peme, elminate the upper C&R section. Only the section below 141 should be listed as open.
-North Branch Oconto, should be listed as open down from 64, not 32. See link: N. Br. Oconto (Note the black and white dot)

Otherwise, very nice job. Many will appreciate your efforts.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:01:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

troutspotr  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:26:59 AM(UTC)
troutspotr

Dear Guillermo,

Thanks for your patient and thorough reviews. I've decided that this is a moment where I can either do something easy, or do something right. At first, I wanted to forward these problems to the DNR and have them sort it out, but I think this is the wrong path for me to take. Thanks to your efforts, I know what the problems are, and where they are. I have the knowledge and the tools to remove these offenders from the dataset. I'll try the false-positives when I can.

Here is the feedback I sent them, as a PDF:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/483650/Trout/trout-dash_test_data/wi_import/TroutSpotr2017N.WisconsinRegsproblems%20%281%29.pdf

I'm wondering what kind of mistakes I'll find latent in the data come May 7th! Obviously, priority will be given to "False Positives" which are sections that can lead somebody into a bad situation - not unlike the sections you listed above.

If there are hundreds, I'll take a stab at the problems that have the easiest solutions and cause the most problems. Time will tell.

In the mean-time, I'll see if I can fix these problems soon.

Thanks!
EddieRivard  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:34:50 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
UserPostedImage
ThumpUp
William Schlafer  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:33:53 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 78 post(s)
EddieRivard wrote:
UserPostedImage
ThumpUp

Nice Eddie. Flapper

-Bill
(from deep in the heart of The Shit)
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos