Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BT  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2017 6:11:12 AM(UTC)
BT

At what point in the season does night fishing become viable? I've never done it and would like to try it out a few times this year. Is this more of a summer tactic or will it work this early in the year?
Sponsor
DanE  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:01:06 AM(UTC)
DanE

Typically more of a summer tactic, especially when daytime water temps rise and night time water temps drop and have the fish more active. Right now the water temps are likely dipping low enough that the fish are not very active at night. This is also why fishing isn't great right away in the morning, and gets better late morning to mid-day when the water has had a chance to warm up a bit. Lots of "experts" say that the fish won't be active once the water temps drop below 45 degrees. While that exact degree is open to interpretation, there is definitely a trend where the fish are more active as the water is warming, vs when it is cooling this time of the year. Also my guess would be that there is more food active at night in the summer than now, which would also be a factor in when I would decide to night fish. Just my $.02 worth.
Pete  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:03:52 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I too usually wait for warmer weather, for a lot of reasons. In the middle of the summer, when things are at their warmest, the coolest water will be found before sunrise, which is when I do most of my fishing in pursuit of big browns. I've never found fishing in the dark to be productive until the regular season-first Saturday in May-has opened. The water may just be too cold before then, but as Dan mentioned, it could have to do with available food too. Frogs-and tadpoles that have hatched-will be more active in warmer water. If a stream has crayfish in it, they'll be more active in the dark as the summer progresses. And recently-born rodents will probably have been weened and are out on their own foraging, making them more likely to fall in the water and become a target for a carnivorous brown. Some hatching insects with minnows and small trout feeding on them will bring out the larger fish too; this will happen often enough after sunset during warmer weather.
DPBlount  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2018 7:16:05 AM(UTC)
DPBlount

United States

I think in summer season.