Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI-fly  
#31 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 12:00:16 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
DanE wrote:
Larry Damore summed it up perfectly for how I feel in "Heart of the Driftless". At first, it was all about catching lots of fish, then it was about catching big fish, now I just want to catch fish how I want to catch fish, or something along those lines.

I have been big into musky fishing in the past, but so many people got into it that it started to suck having so many boats trying to fish the same water. I started trout fishing to get away from the crowds, with a spinning rod at the time. I switched over to a fly rod most of the time a couple years back, as it is a fun new challenge. On some small water that is hard to cast, I still break out the spinning rod with no shame as it saves me a bunch of frustration. Sometimes I will even bust it out randomly just because I want to, and feel no obligation to anyone that I have to use the flyrod. At 42 years old, I am at the point that I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks anymore, and I have had to tell a few of those purist exactly that, usually not as nicely as you did with that tool.

Getting away from the crowds on the river is one of the main reasons I sold my boat and started fly fishing. I was frustrated by impatient people at the docks and too many drunken jet skiers as I'm trying to fish. Plus, my boat was always broken and expensive. The last straw was spending $800 for a half in spring to be replaced in the throttle control. I also still enjoy spinning gear on trout streams, especially since my daughter doesn't quite have the hang of a fly rod, but she can sling a spinner well.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram