Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HookJaw  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:24:59 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Honestly one of the best posts I've ever read on DTA.

Some people just don't get it.

DTA gets it.

Edited by user Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:31:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#12 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 5:41:37 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

The sport/hobby/passion of fly fishing has definitely changed over time. It is evolving all the time. The intersectionality of diversity in fly fishing is immense from those participating to those creating styles or tools adding onto the sport. The purist lost an opportunity to observe and learn another effective style to fly fishing. The purist lacked curiosity, inquiry, and open-mindedness. This creates barriers to learn and understand something new.

Regardless of approach, trout can be caught in multiple ways. It is what we choose to use to catch them.

s.t.fanatic  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 6:19:20 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
^ I dont fly fish but this is very well stated.
WI-fly  
#14 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 7:03:39 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I just ordered the Lost in the Driftless book last night and it looks like it addresses this issue of the "right" way to fish the streams.

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Driftless-Fishing-Cultural-Divide/dp/0692756167/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492783051&sr=8-1&keywords=lost+in+the+driftless
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
OTC_MN  
#15 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 7:52:47 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
WI-fly wrote:
I fly fish because being on the stream is the only place I can wear my ascot and beret and won't look overdressed.

Bahahaa.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
OTC_MN  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 7:58:01 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:
The sport/hobby/passion of fly fishing has definitely changed over time. It is evolving all the time. The intersectionality of diversity in fly fishing is immense from those participating to those creating styles or tools adding onto the sport. The purist lost an opportunity to observe and learn another effective style to fly fishing. The purist lacked curiosity, inquiry, and open-mindedness. This creates barriers to learn and understand something new.

Regardless of approach, trout can be caught in multiple ways. It is what we choose to use to catch them.

You bring up a very good point - the utter lack of curiosity. That just blows me away. Half the time I go fishing I don't catch nearly the number of fish I probably could because I'm always trying stuff. Sometimes when I'm catching them pretty well I'll change what I'm doing just to see what else I can catch them on. Sometimes works, sometimes not, but it's always educational.

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Pete  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 8:29:32 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Sounds as if someone's wife got him Halford's (and I don't mean Rob Halford from Judas Priest) book on dry fly fishing for a birthday present. I wonder just how far he is willing to take being a purist? Was he only casting upstream to rising trout? Because casting downstream and/or blindly is a major faux pas among the real purists. I'd hate to see him compromise himself that way.
Gurth  
#18 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 8:53:23 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:
The purist lost an opportunity to observe and learn another effective style to fly fishing. The purist lacked curiosity, inquiry, and open-mindedness. This creates barriers to learn and understand something new.

This

I'm always talking to anyone and everyone to see what I can learn (or just shoot the shit about trout) and hopefully maybe even pass along something myself.

It's not that I don't know what to do or can't catch fish on my own – I can and obviously do. I'm quite confident in my abilities.

That said, there are plenty of people out there who are better than me and know more than me and I'm always looking for new approaches or new thoughts. I've still got a lot to learn and am an eager sponge.

I even listen to the Orvis podcasts – and I'm a spin fisherman. I still pick up helpful things though.

I recently spent an hour at the fish hatchery here in Madison and at least half that time was talking to one of the biologists that works there – cool guy btw… didn't catch his name but I learned a lot in just that half hour. He was very engaging and eager to chat trout.

I definitely recommend stopping there if you have the time to see what they're doing. Might even clear up some of the misconceptions that are out there about the stocking program(s).

I had a couple of my own minor ones cleared up.

I was like a kid at the zoo. I'm an utter trout nerd. BigGrin
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#19 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 10:54:19 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Here's a video by a Madison TV station about the Nevin Fish Hatchery. Pretty cool facility.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
taion  
#20 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 2:15:22 PM(UTC)
taion

Man

I ran into one of these guys last year. My first true blue Purist. Snobby as hell he had a bamboo rod and all. I chatted him up as we were walking in the same direction. Eventually he let slip that he used a nymph so he wouldn't get skunked. This made me laugh. I think he was trying to get rid of me. Kill em with kindness.
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.