Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Skimmer  
#21 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 2:31:05 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Mannn forget that guy! Come fish (drink) with us!
Gurth  
#22 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 3:03:05 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:
Here's a video by a Madison TV station about the Nevin Fish Hatchery. Pretty cool facility.

-Bill

That was cool. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't get to go into the buildings with the fingerlings. Sad

Laugh
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Guillermo  
#23 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 7:04:48 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
taion wrote:
I ran into one of these guys last year. My first true blue Purist. Snobby as hell he had a bamboo rod and all. I chatted him up as we were walking in the same direction. Eventually he let slip that he used a nymph so he wouldn't get skunked. This made me laugh. I think he was trying to get rid of me. Kill em with kindness.

Not sure using bamboo rods makes one any more of a purist, it's more about the attitude that one exhibits. You can buy great bamboo rods for less than a lot of top flight graphite rods.
HookJaw  
#24 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 10:22:59 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

All this PURIST talk keeps reminding me of one of my favorite books -- THE RIVER WHY -- anyone read?

...do NOT watch the movie. Read the book.

Edited by user Friday, April 21, 2017 10:23:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
WI-fly  
#25 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:39:07 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
HookJaw wrote:

All this PURIST talk keeps reminding me of one of my favorite books -- THE RIVER WHY -- anyone read?

I did read that and really enjoyed it. The author Duncan spoke at Viterbo a few years ago. Very interesting guy.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
WI-fly  
#26 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:43:51 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Speaking of books again, Leaky Waders (David) said Jerusalem Creek is a good one. The author grew up fishing Driftless Streams.

https://www.amazon.com/Jerusalem-Creek-Journeys-Driftless-Country/dp/1932378731
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
taion  
#27 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 2:17:07 PM(UTC)
taion

Man

Guillermo wrote:
taion wrote:
I ran into one of these guys last year. My first true blue Purist. Snobby as hell he had a bamboo rod and all. I chatted him up as we were walking in the same direction. Eventually he let slip that he used a nymph so he wouldn't get skunked. This made me laugh. I think he was trying to get rid of me. Kill em with kindness.

Not sure using bamboo rods makes one any more of a purist, it's more about the attitude that one exhibits. You can buy great bamboo rods for less than a lot of top flight graphite rods.

I agree with you, but he sure seemed to think it helped him be true to the sport
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
OTC_MN  
#28 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:16:35 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
HookJaw wrote:

Yeah - David James Duncan. Great book.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
DanE  
#29 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 7:55:55 AM(UTC)
DanE

Larry Damore summed it up perfectly for how I feel in "Heart of the Driftless". At first, it was all about catching lots of fish, then it was about catching big fish, now I just want to catch fish how I want to catch fish, or something along those lines.

I have been big into musky fishing in the past, but so many people got into it that it started to suck having so many boats trying to fish the same water. I started trout fishing to get away from the crowds, with a spinning rod at the time. I switched over to a fly rod most of the time a couple years back, as it is a fun new challenge. On some small water that is hard to cast, I still break out the spinning rod with no shame as it saves me a bunch of frustration. Sometimes I will even bust it out randomly just because I want to, and feel no obligation to anyone that I have to use the flyrod. At 42 years old, I am at the point that I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks anymore, and I have had to tell a few of those purist exactly that, usually not as nicely as you did with that tool.
kinni  
#30 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 9:00:41 AM(UTC)
kinni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Love this topic and discussion. I mostly fly fish as well and could care less how anybody else chooses to pursue them(as long as it's legal). I'm not a purist and also have a curiosity that I'm sure prevents me from catching more fish due to often times exploring more than actual fishing and trying different things/methods just for grins.

Last night was a prime example: After searching the woods near the river in hopes that morels were starting to pop (they weren't, BTW), I tried fishing a wetfly downstream. I almost always fish upstream with a dry or nymph with an indicator. Well, last night I just felt like trying something different and it worked really well! After finally losing my wetfly in a tree, I decided to stick with the downstream technique, but this time with a very sparsely tied caddis (no hackle, just a dubbed body and sparse downwing of deer hair). Swinging the caddis downstream under the surface was even more successful than the wetfly was! I had a great night of catching lots of small trout on something I typically wouldn't do. Who knows what I'll try next time out, but there's a decent chance it will involve downstream fishing in some fashion (maybe I can really commit to streamers like I keep thinking I'm going to do...).