Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SenatorGrimmshaw  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:51:10 AM(UTC)
SenatorGrimmshaw

Hello All,

I've got a coworker who's 12 year old son wants a fly rod for his birthday coming up next month, so he asked me for advice. It sounds like he will mostly be using it for targeting bass in the Milwaukee River. My initial thoughts were a 5WT would probably be just fine, but I don't know if a 9ft rod would be too cumbersome. I'm thinking it may be awkward at first but he would probably grow into it pretty quick? I have no experience in this department, so I figured I'd throw it out there for some DTA advice. If anybody has a recommendation for a good starter combo for a kid this age, I would really appreciate the input to pass along and get this dude set up and ready to rip this summer.
Sponsor
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:22:53 AM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

I started out about 13 with a 9 foot rod. Wouldn't change it. All the extra room you have to mess up your false casts and recover with a long rod really helps the learning curve. Plus harder to hook yourself with the loops higher up. Extra casting distance with the 9' too. Not a fan of a 5 wt for bass, more of a 7 or 8wt kinda guy, easier to turn over big bugs and turn fish. To each his own though.

A good combo for kids is the Cabelas 3 Forks combo. Line, rod, reel, all for under $100 bucks when it goes on sale. Plus it has a warranty for a few years. Hard to beat for the price. Kids like to break things for some reason...
My fly box is a tree
NDFlatlander  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:14:35 PM(UTC)
NDFlatlander

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Should take a peak at the Echo Gecko. I got one for my son a couple of years back and he has used it for everything from bluegill to trout to bass and small pike. It a 7'-9" 4/5wt that is alot more a 5wt in my opinion.

Something else to look at would be pretty much any of the "Bass specific" rods out there. Most are 7'-11" to qualify for the rod length restrictions for bass tournament. Most go down to a 7wt. Might be better suited for the size of stuff you may be throwing.

Anywho, my 0.02
draik11  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:53:47 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
wannaseemysexdungeon wrote:
I started out about 13 with a 9 foot rod. Wouldn't change it. All the extra room you have to mess up your false casts and recover with a long rod really helps the learning curve. Plus harder to hook yourself with the loops higher up. Extra casting distance with the 9' too. Not a fan of a 5 wt for bass, more of a 7 or 8wt kinda guy, easier to turn over big bugs and turn fish. To each his own though.

A good combo for kids is the Cabelas 3 Forks combo. Line, rod, reel, all for under $100 bucks when it goes on sale. Plus it has a warranty for a few years. Hard to beat for the price. Kids like to break things for some reason...

I second the 3 forks combo. They are on sale for $70 right now. Pole, reel, backing, line and leader.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/...%3D3%2Bforks%2Bfly%2Brod
3fe  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:34:32 PM(UTC)
3fe

I agree with the Three Forks. I've had an 8-6 5 wt. behind the seat of my truck, as a back up, for years. If you buy the combo, throw the line away (junk) and buy a decent line. For a kid just starting out, don't handicap him, her with a cheap line. A 5wt should work, all around rod. Will throw medium size bass bugs.
Guillermo  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:13:30 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Adding another recommendation for the Three Forks. I started on one and they're very serviceable. Broke on me after a couple years but all in all a good starter rod.
DanE  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:56:20 PM(UTC)
DanE

I am going to be the naysayer to the 3 forks rod. I have 2 of them and I prefer something a little bit faster action for throwing some of the heavier streamers for bass. I have a 6wt Sage Response (thanks for the advice KSchaefer) and it is great for everything bass. I have a 4wt Fenwick Aetos that I use primarily for trout, and I would buy that in a 6wt in a heartbeat for a bass rod. FWIW, I got the 4wt Aetos for my 14 year old son for Christmas, and he can cast better with that than his 3 Forks rod. It is a little bit more, but still a great bargain at under $200.

Edited by user Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:56:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Guillermo  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 3:23:37 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)
DanE wrote:
I am going to be the naysayer to the 3 forks rod. I have 2 of them and I prefer something a little bit faster action for throwing some of the heavier streamers for bass. I have a 6wt Sage Response (thanks for the advice KSchaefer) and it is great for everything bass. I have a 4wt Fenwick Aetos that I use primarily for trout, and I would buy that in a 6wt in a heartbeat for a bass rod. FWIW, I got the 4wt Aetos for my 14 year old son for Christmas, and he can cast better with that than his 3 Forks rod. It is a little bit more, but still a great bargain at under $200.

If looking at a Fenwick I think you'd get a better value in a vintage used glass Fenwick. They're just simply better rods that were made in the USA and are higher quality, and will often cost less. Also very obtainable. There were many 5 and 6 weights in lengths from 7 feet to 8 1/2 feet. A couple to consider would be the FF75, FF756, FF806. But really any of the 5/6 weights are good rods and very forgiving medium/medium-fast action.

Edited by user Friday, April 28, 2017 3:29:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WI-fly  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 10:11:57 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Both of my kids started on the Echo Gecko and it worked well for them. My 11yo daughter still uses it, but my 14 yo son has moved on to a 8'6" 5wt. I like the narrow grip of the Gecko and 7'9" is a great length for kids to learn to cast. I'm using the Gecko right now until my broken Echo Carbon gets replaced and really like using it myself.

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
EddieRivard  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 11:47:06 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
The Ross Journey childrens fly outfit is very solid. I use mine all the time. The only drawback is that the FLYSTART reel is comes with will eventually malfunction but I would assume most combos have a cheepy reel. If he wears it out it will be a good sign he's hooked.