Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Post your Tigers Options
Troutzilla
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 8:32:26 PM

Let's get a post of tigers going again. Has anyone caught any yet in 2017?

I caught three Tiger Trout last year. Say again...Confused? Yeah three tigers. I'm always super excited to catch one, and have now held five total in about 7 years of trout fishing the driftless area.

Here they are:

Let's see yours.
WI-fly
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 1:30:12 PM

Here's a nice picture my wife took of me with all the tigers I have caught in my life.

Maybe this year.
=============

Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.

CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
s.t.fanatic
#3 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 12:29:19 PM

ThumpUp
WiScottBrook
#4 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 6:30:02 PM

Three last year as well, all dinks. I want to hook into a big one some day, I hear they're mean fighters with some size. Love your pictures, very colorful fish.

Troutzilla
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 2:38:29 PM

Hey guys! I went out both days this past weekend. I fished the Pine River mostly on Saturday looking for those 3000 broodstock brown trout the DNR supposedly stocked before opening day. I had decent luck, 20-25 fish in total, but not a brown over 15in. On Sunday, I started fishing big water again with a friend, we were getting nothing, so we switched to a nice Brookie stream I knew close by. It was a good decision. We caught 50-60 fish in total. Probably about 50/50 Brookies to Browns. And this... now my 6th tiger! Sorry Jed!

snbrd4evr
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:06:21 PM

That fish is gorgeous! I need to go find one of those guys OhMyGod
Gurth
#7 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 12:16:29 AM

I put this is the trout pics thread, but might as well add it here too for posterity.

My first tiger.

Lots of fate played into this...

1) I was pissy about the stream I was going to as I got a late start and with the rain, didn't want to drive too far afield and find unfishable water. I didn't want to fish this one as I had been there 3 times in the past 3 weeks and it's pretty close to my house - wanted to "get away."

2) I fished a stretch and did well on brownies and got a brookie and after a couple hours thought about switching streams to go after something bigger. Instead, stayed and went to the next bridge upstream as I hadn't fished it before and had been meaning to check that stretch out.

3) Walked a while downstream to find a starting point and then fish back to the bridge. Decided that a bend that I could see was as far as I would go.

4) At that bend was a hole that I pretty much walked right up to. Cast upstream to a log jam and got nothing. Thought to myself, I shouldn't even bother casting downstream as they'd have already seen me.

5) Cast a couple times anyway and on the third cast, made a point of letting it sink and reeled it in with my rod tip submerged to keep the lure deep.

A strike!

Oh cool... another brookie...

Then I got it out of the water and it took me a moment to realize what I had.

WOO HOO!!!! Actually yelled. Laugh

Never expected to get a tiger this far from the heart of the driftless even though the streams in this particular area support natural repro of both brookies and browns.

After that, I caught a bunch more browns and some really nice brookies, but was looking for another tiger. I'll be more excited to go back there again next time. Smile

Still find it hard to believe that I got a tiger where I did. Figured I'd get my first one on Plum or somewhere up by Viroqua.

Funny that had I got an earlier start or had there been no rain, I'd have never gone to this stream today.

Goes to show, I'm probably more lucky than good. Laugh
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
rschmidt
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 07, 2017 5:40:48 AM

Late but good! Hahaha. Missing two pics somewhere from 2014.

William Schlafer
#9 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 9:42:43 PM

Story here.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
MikeJuran
#10 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 9:57:43 PM

William Schlafer wrote:

Story coming soon!

-Bill

Very very nice Bill - well done .... looking forward to the tale of the tail
Fly Me A River