Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Wisconsin Guide Licence Options
trapper
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 9:10:10 PM

Discussion lately in Wisconsin Outdoor News in the latest issue about raising the licence.

My take: from a past guide who has guided many guides and has fished over 50 years.

Fees should increase to $500 for resident and $2000 for non residents along with insurance and CPR certified.
Thoughts?
Get Reel

William Schlafer
#2 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 12:02:19 AM

I'm all for it, provided the money is used to support sport fishing and not used to market public lands for frac sand mining.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
EddieRivard
#3 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 12:23:13 AM

State of Wisconsin
DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
101 S. Webster Street
Box 7921
Madison WI 53707-7921
Guide Licenses
Requirements and Restrictions
No person may engage or be employed for any compensation or reward to guide, direct, or assist any
other person in hunting, fishing or trapping unless the person is issued a guide license by the Department
of Natural Resources (DNR) subject to s. 29.512, Wis. Stats.
Wisconsin Resident Guide License - $40
This license is required of a Wisconsin resident to guide, direct or assist any other person in: hunting,
fishing or trapping for any compensation or reward.
• Applicants must complete The Guide License application, Form 9400-019
• Originals are issued through Bureau of Customer and Outreach Services, Madison
• Renewals are posted to your DNR customer ID account at the beginning of the calendar year
• DNR only issues guide licenses, we cannot guarantee quality or credibility of guide
• Resident Guide license includes the privilege to guide others in: hunting, fishing and trapping
• Applicant must be at least 18 years of age
Nonresident Guide Licenses - $100
This license is required of a non-resident to guide, direct or assist any other person in fishing only for any
compensation or reward.
• Applicants must complete The Nonresident Fishing Guide License application, Form 9400-465
• Originals and renewals are issued through Bureau of Customer and Outreach Services, Madison
• DNR only issues guide licenses, we cannot guarantee quality or credibility of guide
• Nonresident Guide license allows for the privilege to guide others only for fishing
• Applicant must be at least 18 years of age
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leave the fees alone. Why put up barriers to those willing to share their knowledge of the outdoors with others? These fees will only be passed on to the clients who are spending enough money as it is. Tax dollars made from the users of outdoor recreation come from many places and money is spent on many things. I am against this fee raising.

NE IA Drifter
#4 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 1:17:28 AM

I tend to lean more towards the higher end of the fee spectrum on these things. $40 is cheap for a license! I know guides make squat but I look at the price they get for guiding and think they can afford more. While the idea isn't to tax/charge them out of existence I do believe that the monetary gain they receive from the resources should constitute a fee greater than $40 (I like something between $200-500). While I know there's a lot of costs involved if you assume $250/day guide fee it only takes 1-2 days for them to recoup the license fee.

I'd also argue that the economic gain guides add through their services doesn't directly go back to natural resource management like license fees do...
NBrevitz
#5 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 2:19:55 AM

I think $2000 is a bit steep for a guiding fee, at least for fishing. When you look at it, that's 8 days of guiding without even accounting for your costs on those days. Have a rough outing? Don't count on a tip. Assuming someone guides 60 days a year, and has a 66% profit margin of their guiding fees, roughly $10,000 is their profit before taxes (most guides work other jobs). Do we need to take 20% of that gross profit? I don't think so.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
mmalyuk
#6 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 2:36:02 AM

I guide so I'll show another angle. I guide for ducks every Fall(2 month season) and have been for the past 7 years. I've taken​ out a handful of fisherman over that time period also. I can tell you we aren't rich...far from it. Lots of money goes into gear, insurance, and advertising just to name a few things that a lot of people probably don't realize. Yes, $40 is acceptable but I don't guide year-round and a large increase would be rough on me.
NE IA Drifter
#7 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 2:43:38 AM

mmalyuk wrote:
I guide so I'll show another angle. I guide for ducks every Fall(2 month season) and have been for the past 7 years. I've taken​ out a handful of fisherman over that time period also. I can tell you we aren't rich...far from it. Lots of money goes into gear, insurance, and advertising just to name a few things that a lot of people probably don't realize. Yes, $40 is acceptable but I don't guide year-round and a large increase would be rough on me.

Curious what you feel would be fair for a license? I know there isn't a lot of gold with guiding and respect those that can do it!
OTC_MN
#8 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 1:35:15 PM

Man I wish MN would do something like this, for so many reasons.
s.t.fanatic
#9 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 3:58:12 PM

I dont think they should need a license at all. With that being said I also dont like trout streams being whored out.
NBrevitz
#10 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 8:00:02 PM

s.t.fanatic wrote:
I dont think they should need a license at all. With that being said I also dont like trout streams being whored out.

I'd agree, but with survey info, trout stream maps, google maps and word of mouth, it's not that hard to get into good fishing. This isn't Montana, where a driftboat and encyclopedic knowledge of hatches are essential. Anyone who just wants to catch fish can figure out that Hay Creek is loaded and nymph out 15 fish in 4 hours. Most guides aren't going to take customers to their glory hole either, as most people will pay for a guide only to find their own new spots, at least locals that is. Quite often, guides in Pierce County will only take clients to the Kinni or Rush, even though they know damn well there are smaller, less pressured streams with equal or better fishing.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."