Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 5, 2017 8:12:46 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Being a catch and release trout fisherman, my season actually opened months ago and it's been great so far. In addition, pretty much all of the streams in my quarter of the state had an early season.

That said, it's hard not to get caught up a little in the excitement of opening weekend – any excuse, right?

I'm planning on getting out Saturday AM to some places I haven't been to yet, far from the heart(s) of the Driftless although on its edge. Good news for those of you heading west… one less fisherman out there.

Hoping no one else is thinking of these spots – I've never heard them mentioned by anyone but the dnr says there are fish present.

Good luck out there!
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Sponsor
madguy30  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 5, 2017 12:50:31 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I usually switch to warm water come May but trout streams would probably be best since lakes are too cold and rivers are too high. Saw where the WI River is still not above 50 degrees.

A north wind is still a north wind though so I'll likely do neither and practice patience. Looks like that will be through next Tuesday which is when I have to work so I'll practice even more patience.

Hoggies  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 5, 2017 9:07:57 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
MN opener was Easter weekend, so I didn't make it out. A couple buddies and I usually camp out and fish all weekend on opener, so we went out the following weekend. All of the streams were blown, as was the Root River, so we found a hole to soak worms in. We caught enough for dinner, but nothing spectacular (although my friend and I both caught the same 7lbish carp about an hour and a half apart)
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 6, 2017 6:39:40 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Thursday AM in Vernon county had a strong caddie hatch and the Trout were actively feeding. By the afternoon the bite was off. Friday was also slow although it may just had been my poor choice of streams. A little rain last night in Viroqua so we'll see about today.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 6, 2017 10:01:46 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Only had time for one destination today so hit a place I've been meaning to but just never got around to.

It's in the Baraboo Hills and if Bill fished a sidewalk stream a couple months ago, this was a curb. Seriously small stream, but runs deep and cold and is supposed to be full of brookies.

True on all counts.

I stopped keeping track of how many I was getting, but they were all pretty small.

Cool thing though is that they are Heritage brookies or whatever the term is. This stream has never been stocked and is isolated from other trout waters, so the brookies in here are descendants of the first brookies that lived here after the last ice age.

This spot is glaciated while the hills that start the Driftless are maybe a mile away.

I have no issue with reintroduced brook trout, but this fella is truly... Native.

UserPostedImage

Humbling to realize what I'm holding there.

Edited by user Saturday, May 6, 2017 10:03:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 6, 2017 4:30:34 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Love those blue vertical bands. Wouldn't be cool to catch a 16" version of that?

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 6, 2017 5:15:37 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

I fished though the chaos of opening day. I don't think I'll ever do it again.

Drove around the Viroqua area this morning for about 90 minutes searching for a spot to fish. I finally came to a stream with no vehicles or fishermen in sight. Shortly afterwards an extended cab pickup with four guys in it cruised by slowly, sizing up the stream and staring at me. Sorry boys, but I was here first. Roll on.

But about a 30 minutes later I started hearing voice from upstream. Yup, here they come. I was being high-holed for the third time this season!

It was the same four guys that drove by earlier - now fishing downstream towards me. When they got within conversation range, I gave them a "Hey, guys! What the hell??" They just shrugged their shoulders and kept on fishing. I sulked back to my car.

Besides the crowds and general douchebaggery, stream conditions seemed decent, except for some wind gusts up to 25-30mph making casting dry flies an adventure. The overnight rain didn't seem to have any effect on Vernon county streams, but I did see high water on Black Earth Creek and rivers East of Madison. Trout were in hiding most of the day, probably from having seen herds of fisherman pound by overhead all day. Small bead heads or a sunken Elk Hair Caddis fly seemed to be the ticket when you could get one to come out for a look.

-Bill

Edited by user Saturday, May 6, 2017 5:16:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

shebs  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 6, 2017 6:29:52 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Ron and I hit a very long (4+ miles) stretch of a favorite pierce county stream this morning. Knowing no one is as crazy as us and willing to tackle that marathon, we slept in. Drove past a popular stream on the way out and counted 7 cars at 2 access points...only to arrive at our destination and see 5 empty accesses before we got to our drop in point a little after 9 am LOL

Bite was incredible despite full sun, for the first 6 hours anyway. Slowed down after that. but 8 hours and well over 100 fish later, we were at the exit point with a limit each, 6 total fish between 13-14".

Released easily two dozen legal (over 12) fish each - don't worry, this stream won't miss the half dozen we kept...mostly browns, but a good number of nice brooks as well, and for some stupid reason I even caught a pair of largemouth bass Confused

now to clean and brine for the smoker tomorrow Drool

Edited by user Saturday, May 6, 2017 6:32:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
madguy30  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 6, 2017 7:06:43 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'll wait until summer days off to venture to the Viroqua area again I think...the lack of etiquette goes 3 fold when the regular season starts for some reason.

I denied my own denial of fishing and ended up standing in a stream for a while this afternoon.
Was a warm water stream and was up but smallmouth were around a bit surprisingly.

NOT wrong about the north wind. Fly casting into strong wind is hard anyway but seems to be extra annoying when it's a cold wind. I even had a stocking hat and waders and still got cold enough to stop.

Forgot how strong smallmouth were. I had my 6 weight and was still wore out by a couple.
Gurth  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 12:59:11 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Only got out for about an hour and a half this morning and checked off a section of stream that I've been wanting to try.

Not particularly productive as straightening of the channel was done by farmers long ago.

6 or 7 strikes and 3 or 4 landed. All around 12 inches.

Meh.

Back to yard work....

Edited by user Sunday, May 7, 2017 1:02:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified