Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI-fly  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 1:56:42 PM(UTC)
WI-fly
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 9/19/2015(UTC)
Posts: 477
Man
Location: La Crosse, WI

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Got out with my 14yo Gavin yesterday to find lots of cars at each of my normal haunts. I don't like to be crowded or crowd anyone else so we spent much of the day in the car trying to find some real estate to ourselves. Finally found that and got a few fish and discovered another section that I want to spend more time on. I enjoyed spending time with my kid, but had a few mishaps.

1) Lost my net on Coon Creek. No name or anything on it, so I doubt I'm getting that back.

2) Stuck in the mud and pulled the sole away from one wading boot.

3) Dropped my bank card along another stream and can't find it. I normally don't carry that with me but had put it in my pocket (sans wallet) to run into Driftless Angler to pick up a few things. Likely dropped it when I pulled my phone out as it was in the same pocket. Canceled it already, but that is an annoying process.


Whine, whine, whine. Thanks for letting me vent. Almost over it.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
William Schlafer  
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 2:52:01 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer
Rank: Super Fly

Joined: 7/24/2011(UTC)
Posts: 3,185
Location: Sussex Wisconsin

Thanks: 64 times
Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 85 post(s)
WI-fly wrote:
I enjoyed spending time with my kid, but had a few mishaps.



Must've been something in the air this weekend.

I managed to drop my water resistant (not completely water proof) camera into the creek and it took several minutes to retrieve it. After I dried it out, it actually worked, but all the images I took after that were cloudy. Must be some moisture in the lens assembly. Maybe it will clear up in time.

On Saturday I got all the way back to the car before I realized my net was not hanging on my back. Had to retrace most of the days hike to find it (about 1 1/2 miles). Not the way I like to end a fishing trip.

You might want to check the Driftless Angler Fly Shop. Someone might turn in your net. I know they field calls all the time about lost fly boxes, cameras, etc...

I have nightmares about losing my car keys while out on stream.


-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 3:02:06 PM(UTC)
Gurth
Rank: Stone Fly

Joined: 11/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 932
Man
Location: Madison

Thanks: 57 times
Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I have a holster on the back of my belt for a second rod.

reached for it last Sunday to try a different color on a pool and it was gone.

Couldn't remember the last spot I used it and was worried it would be a long search.

Luckily it was in a bush that I walked by about 30 yards away.

Didn't feel it get lifted.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
WI-fly  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 6:23:52 PM(UTC)
WI-fly
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 9/19/2015(UTC)
Posts: 477
Man
Location: La Crosse, WI

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:
WI-fly wrote:
I enjoyed spending time with my kid, but had a few mishaps.



Must've been something in the air this weekend.

I managed to drop my water resistant (not completely water proof) camera into the creek and it took several minutes to retrieve it. After I dried it out, it actually worked, but all the images I took after that were cloudy. Must be some moisture in the lens assembly. Maybe it will clear up in time.

On Saturday I got all the way back to the car before I realized my net was not hanging on my back. Had to retrace most of the days hike to find it (about 1 1/2 miles). Not the way I like to end a fishing trip.

You might want to check the Driftless Angler Fly Shop. Someone might turn in your net. I know they field calls all the time about lost fly boxes, cameras, etc...

I have nightmares about losing my car keys while out on stream.


-Bill


I have the same worry about my keys so I usually leave those close to the car, and not on my person when I fish. Thanks for the tip about the DA. Just sent Mat and Geri an email just in case things show up there.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
shebs  
#15 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 6:52:31 PM(UTC)
shebs
Rank: Stone Fly

Joined: 5/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 923
Location: Mpls

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:
WI-fly wrote:
I enjoyed spending time with my kid, but had a few mishaps.



Must've been something in the air this weekend.

I managed to drop my water resistant (not completely water proof) camera into the creek and it took several minutes to retrieve it. After I dried it out, it actually worked, but all the images I took after that were cloudy. Must be some moisture in the lens assembly. Maybe it will clear up in time.


-Bill


Put the camera in a Ziploc bag with uncooked dry white rice for 24 hrs - the rice will draw the water out. it works for dunked phones, it's probably your best bet to save the camera.

Edited by user Sunday, May 7, 2017 7:04:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
NBrevitz  
#16 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 10:35:14 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz
Rank: Super Fly

Joined: 3/16/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,368
Man
Location: Lake Elmo, Mn

Thanks: 49 times
Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Managed probably 40 Brookies on 2.5 miles of water on Saturday. Landed a 15, along with a 14.5 and 13.5, and several 12-13" fish. Some stuff is just underfished, but by all means guys, stick to the Rush and Kinni, no other streams out there...Laugh LOL
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
aaron14  
#17 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 10:46:46 PM(UTC)
aaron14
Rank: Midge

Joined: 6/29/2014(UTC)
Posts: 124
Man
Location: River Falls

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
NBrevitz wrote:
Managed probably 40 Brookies on 2.5 miles of water on Saturday. Landed a 15, along with a 14.5 and 13.5, and several 12-13" fish. Some stuff is just underfished, but by all means guys, stick to the Rush and Kinni, no other streams out there...Laugh LOL


I think there were six or seven cars parked at the Kinni access near my house both Saturday and Sunday. Just had to drive a bit to find solitude and willing fish on another stream.
MikeJuran  
#18 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 7:52:18 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 2/13/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,016
Man
Location: Chaseburg, WI

with that kinda start Curt, I am thinking you shouldn't fish for the rest of 2017?
Fly Me A River
William Schlafer  
#19 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 8:31:39 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer
Rank: Super Fly

Joined: 7/24/2011(UTC)
Posts: 3,185
Location: Sussex Wisconsin

Thanks: 64 times
Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 85 post(s)
shebs wrote:
Put the camera in a Ziploc bag with uncooked dry white rice for 24 hrs - the rice will draw the water out. it works for dunked phones, it's probably your best bet to save the camera.



Thanks!

I Did the same thing but with some desiccant bags from work. Haven't tried it yet to see if it dried out the lens. I've read about people saving their phones using that trick. I never take my phone with me when I fish as I'm sure I would destroy or lose it in short order.


-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
NBrevitz  
#20 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 8:52:58 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz
Rank: Super Fly

Joined: 3/16/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,368
Man
Location: Lake Elmo, Mn

Thanks: 49 times
Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
aaron14 wrote:
NBrevitz wrote:
Managed probably 40 Brookies on 2.5 miles of water on Saturday. Landed a 15, along with a 14.5 and 13.5, and several 12-13" fish. Some stuff is just underfished, but by all means guys, stick to the Rush and Kinni, no other streams out there...Laugh LOL


I think there were six or seven cars parked at the Kinni access near my house both Saturday and Sunday. Just had to drive a bit to find solitude and willing fish on another stream.

Yep, I wanted to sneak in on a little known section of my favorite trophy river yesterday, only to find 3 cars at this backcountry bridge... Had to head up into Dunn County to find any open water.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Users browsing this topic
3 Pages<123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2018, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.399 seconds.