Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cschub13  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 6:39:33 AM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Anyone get out for some non-trout fishing? Only managed a small one hour window on the river, no luck, water was very cold. Hoping for some more time next weekend.

I did see some giant carp trapped in a retention pond next to the river...they were spawning and thrashing about. I might need to give them a shot on my 8wt after they are done spawning. I've always wanted to fly fish carp.
Sponsor
DanE  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 1:32:49 PM(UTC)
DanE

We got the boat out and chased crappie with my dad Sunday afternoon. I ended up with a mixed bag on my 4wt tossing a small buggerish minnow pattern. 1st fish was a 26" pike, 2nd was about a 5 lb Sheephead, then an few small bass, rounded out by a few crappie. The pike and sheephead were a blast on a 4wt!
madguy30  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 10:12:57 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
...mentioned in another thread that I went to a spot and got a few smallmouth Saturday--was fun.

Went back Monday thinking it would be even better but the water was murkier and colder...didn't think it had rained.

Supposed to canoe with friends from Arena to Spring Green in two weekends but we'll be cutting it close vs. water levels.

I have a sneaking suspicion that water levels will once again make things tricky for navigation this summer...kind of a bummer because personally for me the Madison chain has about a 3 week window where the water and noise pollution are minimalized a bit.
DanE  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 12:10:50 PM(UTC)
DanE

madguy30 wrote:
...mentioned in another thread that I went to a spot and got a few smallmouth Saturday--was fun.

Went back Monday thinking it would be even better but the water was murkier and colder...didn't think it had rained.

Supposed to canoe with friends from Arena to Spring Green in two weekends but we'll be cutting it close vs. water levels.

I have a sneaking suspicion that water levels will once again make things tricky for navigation this summer...kind of a bummer because personally for me the Madison chain has about a 3 week window where the water and noise pollution are minimalized a bit.

Let me know if you need to know water levels on the river. I just got back from a work trip this morning and they are still high, but are starting to drop over the last couple days.
draik11  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 2:44:16 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
cschub13 wrote:
Anyone get out for some non-trout fishing? Only managed a small one hour window on the river, no luck, water was very cold. Hoping for some more time next weekend.

I did see some giant carp trapped in a retention pond next to the river...they were spawning and thrashing about. I might need to give them a shot on my 8wt after they are done spawning. I've always wanted to fly fish carp.

I tired to do some non-trout fishing on a lake in Northern Wisconsin. I was stuck with 20-30 MPH wind gusts and very cold water. I didn't catch any fish but I definitely caught a buzz ThumpUp
snbrd4evr  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2017 4:06:17 PM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Went pike fishing this weekend for MN opener and I accidentally found something else ThumpUp

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

For those hard of seeing - this girl was just over 20". Also, ignore the rod on the right but look for the one going vertical off to the left. I'm pretty happy I was using an 8wt this weekend LOL
madguy30  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 7:08:50 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Not opener any more but managed to go out and remind myself why I seldom fish the Madison chain yesterday. So gross.

Water felt colder than they air.

Looks like all streams/rivers are on par for last year.
Gurth  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 7:20:09 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
The lakes make for a very pretty setting for our city, but I agree, they are less than appealing when you are up close and personal with them. By June, they stink.

I actually did scuba once where the Terrace is now - was Law Park back then. My wife was doing her checkout dives and I was allowed to tag along. I should have sat it out.

About 12" vis and lots of dead fish on the bottom along with refuse - mostly bottles as there was a battling plant or something nearby back in the day.

I'm itchin to go after some other species and being without boat, looking into the Lower Sugar and the Mighty Pec.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 6:50:24 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
snbrd4evr wrote:
UserPostedImage

Nice Bass! Now all you need to do is figure out how to prepare them...

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
snbrd4evr  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 7:33:22 PM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:
snbrd4evr wrote:
UserPostedImage

Nice Bass! Now all you need to do is figure out how to prepare them...

-Bill

I love Dan Aykroyd... that guy was brilliant.

And all my bass go swimming, especially this one because of the season regs (catch and release only).