Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 7:49:24 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 41 post(s)
So my mom brought me my grandfather's fly rods this past weekend...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

After researching them online, my guess is that they are from the late 50s through the 60s – hard to be sure. They don't appear to be anything too high end, but probably solid for the time period and for a guy making maybe $60 a week, an $8 fly rod would have been a hefty investment.

Of course they are absolutely priceless to me. It's clear that he made the case that they are in and the bottom is even a strip of their first "wall to wall" carpet – a luxury back in those times - that I still recall from their home, even though he's been gone since 1995.

Also received his tackle box and assortment of poppers and flies. Looking through these items was like opening a time capsule. So many cool things and oddities.

I doubt that he was fishing with these much for trout and my mom doesn't recall him bring any home. Guessing he was going for bass and pan fish mostly as even today, there isn't a lot of good trout water around Reedsburg, WI and it would have been much worse 50 years ago,

Anyway… took one of the rods out to the stream last night coz my son needed to shoot some photos for a project and was swinging it around and letting it drop. I had never held a fly rod before and in very short order I realized the advantage that this type of fishing would afford for trout.

To be able to hit a spot without needing a 20 foot casting angle/lane would be incredibly beneficial.

Looking forward to giving this an actual go very soon.

Edited by user Monday, May 8, 2017 7:51:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Sponsor
snbrd4evr  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 7:10:44 PM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Oh man! You should have busted this out on Sunday! I could have helped you catch your first trout on a fly rod Laugh
Gurth  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 8:09:40 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

snbrd4evr wrote:
Oh man! You should have busted this out on Sunday! I could have helped you catch your first trout on a fly rod Laugh

No way.

Think I'd pass up the chance to "teach" myself and look like a jackass out there flailing around?

Laugh
snbrd4evr  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 8:44:00 PM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You have a solid point. LOL

Next time I'm down there you'll have to show me what you've learned. I owe you a few pointers and maybe some flies for showing me that spot.
trapper  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 5:01:24 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
It's starting....
Get Reel
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 6:35:54 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Gurth wrote:
snbrd4evr wrote:

No way.

Think I'd pass up the chance to "teach" myself and look like a jackass out there flailing around?

Laugh

Once you start the dance with the mistress fly rod, you'll never look back.

It will fool, befuddle and drive you crazy most days. But the first time you make that perfect approach to a rising Trout, float that perfect cast around and under the tree to that exact right spot, and then finesse that big Trout into the net, you'll be hooked for life.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
OTC_MN  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 7:21:50 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
That's way cool. As I type this, my grandfather's flyrod is hanging on the wall over my left shoulder. He's the one who taught me to fish, and used to tell me stories of fishing trout in Montana when he spent summers out there working at Glacier NP with his family (he was a college professor so had the summers off, and decided to go work where he could fish). His rod is truly one of my prized possessions.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:50:01 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

That's a great looking rod Gurth.

I had a uncle who was a fly fisherman. As a child, I was always fascinated by those "long rods" he used with the funny looking reels and wondered how he could ever catch a fish with "flies." I once asked him what the rods were made of and he said they were hand-made from Bamboo. They were a beautiful golden color with a heavy layer of varnish. I recall they were one piece rods too, and he would strap them to the roof of his station wagon sticking out way out over the hood.

Family lore has it that my aunt and uncle had widely differing views on attending church. My aunt was a strict attendee and my uncle would always find a reason (fishing, hunting, collecting mushrooms and berries) to avoid Sunday services. That never sat well with my aunt, and when Uncle Charlie passed away his hunting and fishing gear vanished shortly afterward. She may have chucked the gear in the trash as no one in the family recalls ever seeing them again after he died.

I never got a chance to fish with Charlie. I sure would love to try out his fly rods today and see what magic they held.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:48:56 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

So this piece of paper was tucked behind the carpet in the case...

UserPostedImage

Anyone have any thoughts?

I doubt it's number of fish caught and doesn't seem to be page numbers.

William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:51:30 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Gurth wrote:
So this piece of paper was tucked behind the carpet in the case...

UserPostedImage

Anyone have any thoughts?

I doubt it's number of fish caught and doesn't seem to be page numbers.

Bag limits from the 50s/60s? Interesting that it's typed too. Those numbers must've meant something.

-Bill

Edited by user Thursday, May 11, 2017 7:49:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified