Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2017 2:03:04 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I'll just have to figure that if NOAA shows even a millimeter of movement on its graph that any small stream are a mess.

Because the drive down is just a bad idea...I know last year when the Galena went up the first week of June it was still somewhat fishable and the fish were active...perhaps the farmland/planting is making it worse.

Galena and any surrounding streams were tan with maybe a 1/2 inch of visibility. I would have taken a look but my best way to cast in this wind would have been by standing in the water and wading looked unsafe.

Trekked over to the Little Maquoketa near Durango, Iowa and it was the same.

Sold out and waded Lake Farm off of Waubesa...a few bluegill and LM around. I reminded myself that big bluegill give more tussle than 14 inch largemouth.

There's just a lot of water around and I'd think a good month or better of at least somewhat dry conditions would let things normalize a bit, but I wouldn't bet on that dryness. So far this warm water season the conditions have been bad or I've had to work.
Sponsor
TBenton  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 11:08:33 PM(UTC)
TBenton

I fished around Fennimore WI the first weekend in June and caught trout continuously throughout the weekend. The challenge was keeping the gnats out of my eyes, ears and nose. Buggins (vanilla and mint extract) helped a bit but eventually I just had to except that the bugs come along with the good fishing. I fished the Little Grant just outside of Lancaster, the Little Green just outside of Fennimore (by Werley) and also the stream up from the Castle Rock camp ground on County O. With the exception of the 16inches Rainbow seen in my profile pics, all fish caught were browns. I grew up in this area and fish in several times each year and I am happy to seen other anglers from IL, IA and MN on those streams.

I also branched out this time and visited some streams just north of Monfort on the Big Blue. It's beautiful country and I caught fish in streams that I haven't seen in 40 years. Had a blast.