Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Rochester area Options
jimthefish
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:58:02 PM

I normally fish the lower Kinni and Rush but I will be in Rochester this weekend and have some time for a little fishing. I am staying in S. Rochester and don't want to travel too far (30 mins max). I see Mill Creek is near there. Is it worth my time for catching trout? Any other recommendation? I'm not asking for your honey hole, just a general stream where there exists a decent probability that I'll catch a few. Thanks.
shebs
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 5:01:26 PM

Mill creek definitely has fish. Gets a good deal of pressure, but I'm sure there are some dumb stocker bows that escaped the memorial day crush if nothing else.
Trout run is pretty cool too, and not much further. That one can be a zoo on weekends, but it has a lot of fish.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
OTC_MN
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 01, 2017 11:39:53 AM

Trout Run near Chatfield and the Whitewater R and its tributaries are both right around a 30 minute drive. If you're on the S end of Rochester Trout Run is closer. Good stream, gets fished hard, but has some very nice fish.
jimthefish
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 01, 2017 12:59:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to post a picture if I get anything.
Hoggies
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 01, 2017 1:22:03 PM

The closest section of the whitewater to Rochester (middle branch) is catch and release only, but it has some nice fish and it isn't a bad walk, either.
troutspotr
#6 Posted : Friday, June 02, 2017 12:37:43 AM

You're in luck. The whole section is lousy with fish. My advice is the whole Middle Branch of the Whitewater, right in the state park. It's easy to access, though it does get fished hard. I'm also going to second Trout Run Creek.

Check the stream conditions thread on this forum - many of these streams can get flooded. If that occurs, try to find some smaller, shorter water nearby.

Good luck!
jimthefish
#7 Posted : Friday, June 02, 2017 2:09:03 PM

troutspotr wrote:
You're in luck. The whole section is lousy with fish. My advice is the whole Middle Branch of the Whitewater, right in the state park. It's easy to access, though it does get fished hard. I'm also going to second Trout Run Creek.

Check the stream conditions thread on this forum - many of these streams can get flooded. If that occurs, try to find some smaller, shorter water nearby.

Good luck!

The weather looks like it should be good and the current conditions seem good as well. I am going to go to Whitewater as you suggest. It's $5 to park there correct?
AKinMN
#8 Posted : Friday, June 02, 2017 9:26:45 PM

There are much better pieces of water fish in the WW system than in the park. It will be a zoo in the park. Plenty of good access south of the park on the middle Branch. The North Branch is another good option.