Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI-fly  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 11:04:15 AM(UTC)
WI-fly
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 9/19/2015(UTC)
Posts: 362
Man
Location: La Crosse, WI

My 14 year old son Gavin has really taken to trout fishing this year (spin and fly) and I've really enjoyed having him come with me. (11yo daughter also comes along once in a while.)

Gavin was on a bad streak for part of the spring and went fishless for several outings. That certainly changed the past two trips. On Thursday he outfished me 6-1 and the only fish I caught was when I borrowed his rod. It got even worse for me today in terms of fish catching. Gavin was killing it today with the spin gear. He caught 16 fish, most on a black/yellow Panther Martin. He even landed his first brook trout. On the other hand, I could not catch a single fish. I threw everything I could think of out of my fly box (San Juan, nymphs, fix, buggers, leeches, hoppers) and didn't coax one fish to the net.

I was bummed that I couldn't join in on the catching, but I certainly enjoyed seeing him do well.

UserPostedImageUntitled by Curt Rees, on Flickr

UserPostedImageUntitled by Curt Rees, on Flickr

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
WI-fly  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 11:06:15 AM(UTC)
WI-fly
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 9/19/2015(UTC)
Posts: 362
Man
Location: La Crosse, WI

Side note on his appearance - No he's not in any witness protection program. The gnats have been crazy this spring so the buff has been necessary to keep the bugs our of our ears, mouth, and nose. I've eaten my share of them this year. Yuck.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Gurth  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 11:22:35 AM(UTC)
Gurth
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 11/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 478
Man
Location: Madison

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
That's a nice brookie!


No way I could wear all of that on hot days like this weekend. I'd be drenched.

Combine the awful gnats that seem to think that my ears, eyes and nose are their hangers to land in and also bite and the humidity and I was more than happy to sit this past weekend out.

A rarity for me.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
WI-fly  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 11:34:19 AM(UTC)
WI-fly
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 9/19/2015(UTC)
Posts: 362
Man
Location: La Crosse, WI

It was a hot, humid, and bright day. I didn't think it would be a good day to catch fish, but we went anyway. I didn't want to disappoint him since he woke up bright and early at 11 a.m. Fished from noon to 4 in the hottest part of the day, and it was all good for him. Thankfully the wind blew a little to cool us down and keep some bugs away.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
aaron14  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 12:10:04 PM(UTC)
aaron14
Rank: Midge

Joined: 6/29/2014(UTC)
Posts: 121
Man
Location: River Falls

Gurth wrote:
No way I could wear all of that on hot days like this weekend. I'd be drenched.



Dunk the buff in the water every once in a while and it feels great!
MikeJuran  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 12:12:54 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 2/13/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,016
Man
Location: Chaseburg, WI

Ok curt, you just revealed Gavin's honey holes in that 2nd pic. Now all the "In Fisherman" are going to show up there Flapper
Fly Me A River
WI-fly  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 12:52:44 PM(UTC)
WI-fly
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 9/19/2015(UTC)
Posts: 362
Man
Location: La Crosse, WI

MikeJuran wrote:
Ok curt, you just revealed Gavin's honey holes in that 2nd pic. Now all the "In Fisherman" are going to show up there Flapper


You got me Mike. I tried to edit the photo so the secret was safe. Here's the original photo, unedited. It's Pammel Creek.

UserPostedImageScreen Shot 2017-06-05 at 2.50.34 PM by Curt Rees, on Flickr
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
big_river_bum  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 2:22:07 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 6/18/2012(UTC)
Posts: 452
Location: Genoa

WI-fly wrote:
MikeJuran wrote:
Ok curt, you just revealed Gavin's honey holes in that 2nd pic. Now all the "In Fisherman" are going to show up there Flapper


You got me Mike. I tried to edit the photo so the secret was safe. Here's the original photo, unedited. It's Pammel Creek.

UserPostedImageScreen Shot 2017-06-05 at 2.50.34 PM by Curt Rees, on Flickr



lol

if that's where I think it is I was chased by 2 dozen steers once there
tedwin183  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 9:41:22 PM(UTC)
tedwin183
Rank: Midge

Joined: 1/14/2016(UTC)
Posts: 39
Location: N. Illinois

big_river_bum wrote:
WI-fly wrote:
MikeJuran wrote:
Ok curt, you just revealed Gavin's honey holes in that 2nd pic. Now all the "In Fisherman" are going to show up there Flapper


You got me Mike. I tried to edit the photo so the secret was safe. Here's the original photo, unedited. It's Pammel Creek.

UserPostedImageScreen Shot 2017-06-05 at 2.50.34 PM by Curt Rees, on Flickr



lol

if that's where I think it is I was chased by 2 dozen steers once there


I got chased by a massive herd on Big Spring a couple weeks ago.

Speaking of noseeums, does anyone have any intel on how bad they are on the Iowa/Dane creeks?
s.t.fanatic  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 5:27:20 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 3/24/2010(UTC)
Posts: 619
Location: Altura

By the looks of the tall grass there isn't much for cattle in there. At least not at the moment.
Users browsing this topic
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2017, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 1.414 seconds.