Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming Options
RippinLips87
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 7:08:46 PM

Whats up everyone! Havent jumped on here in a grip.

I need some help about the bighorn region for trout fishing.

Im going to try and get out that way this september with the wife.

Any recommendations on campgrounds, specific trails to hike and sights to observe.

Ive never been to Wyoming and I'd like to catch my first cutthroat and possibly a golden troot to boot.

If anyone on here has been, lived or know so intel about this area and is willing to split with it, id be extremely grateful!

DM me if youd like it kept private

Thanks everyone!!
Fish 'til you swim with them

“Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once.” ~Lee Wulff
EddieRivard
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 11:03:11 PM

Good thing you know a guy who's been to the Bighorns a few times. Here are links to my write ups from there.

Wyoming 2013

Wyoming 2014

Wyoming 2015

Wyoming 2016

The way it looks now I don't think a western vacation is going to happen for me this year but I have plenty of places in the Driftless to explore as well so I am not too worried. I may even be producing some fresh blog content soon.

ThumpUp
TheFadingAngler
#3 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 3:52:15 AM

You'll probably drive through Gillette on I-90 where I grew up on your way to either Sheridan or Buffalo. The best fishing I can offer up there, by far, is the Tongue River above Ranchester on Highway 14a. Eddie's blog sums it up really well. I've fished some remote creeks and lakes on backpacking trips, with the fishing either being silly (brookies that have never seen people and eat anything) or nonexistent. The Tongue River has plenty of desperate cutthroats, ready to eat your fly.

I wish you the best of luck on the golden trout. It used to be that the Game and Fish only stocked them (non-native) in lakes above 9,000 feet and you had to hike at least 7 miles to get to one. perhaps it's changed since I was a teenager.

Don't know if I'm gonna make it out there this summer, but I always love it. Good luck!
RippinLips87
#4 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 7:51:22 PM

Thanks TheFadingAngler and Eddie, ill be sure to read through a couple more.
Fish 'til you swim with them

“Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once.” ~Lee Wulff
sauktrouter
#5 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 1:32:36 AM

Some pics from out mid-August trip to the Bighorns - my first trip. Agree on what has been said about the North Tongue. Wow does the stretch get pounded. Get there early to be the first at an access point. That said, there is a LOT of water, and a good variety of terrain if you're willing to get out of sight of the road. The Yellow Cutts didn't seem to mind all the pressure on this stretch below and were eager to hit just about anything.

Hopper Heaven! Ten Sleep Creek. We had about a 2-3 hour stretch where almost every cast to smooth water resulted in a vicious strike from a Brown or Rainbow. Nothing over 16" but lots of fun. Scenery wasn't bad either.

Powder River Canyon. This stretch was real easy to get to - just tuck your head between your knees and roll forward for about 20 minutes. We only saw 2 other fishermen in the entire canyon. Some ninja warrior skills are needed to get from pool to pool, and some lungs are needed for the 45 minute climb out. Chances are good you'll be smiling on the way out (before your tongue is dragging). Some really deep pools here with nymphs being the strategy of the day. We caught plenty of Bows and Browns with good (14") average size. The big ones are definitely in there, but getting down to them is a challenging. Not to mention it would be really challenging to land a big fish there. Outlaw Cave is in this canyon.

My in-laws have an unoccupied cabin on their land in the eastern foothills Flapper so I'll definitely back. Want to do a float trip on the North Platte next summer. Obligatory photo evidence that an actual fish was caught:

shebs
#6 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 2:16:27 AM

Nice! I really like tensleep. Good access, less pressure, plenty of fish. Plus there's the hatchery there...the lady wont fish with me, but she loves feeding the fish in their tank!
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
EddieRivard
#7 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 10:15:36 AM

Wow looks like you had an awesome time!