Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
Conflicting Interests Options
Guillermo
#21 Posted : Thursday, July 06, 2017 9:43:26 AM

NBrevitz wrote:
Guillermo wrote:
I'm against any further marring of our wilderness. Preserving the undescribable beauty of the Driftless outweighs any benefits this project may provide. It's high time we started making some sacrifices in our standard of living to protect what we have left. Otherwise, where does it end? There will always be another project around the corner.

I agree, but good luck convincing 70 % of the country that. Also, I love the Driftless but it's nothing close to wilderness. The only stuff in WI I'd consider even borderline wilderness is north of Hwy 8, at least until you get east of Rhinelander.

Speaking as a Wisconsin native, there's plenty of wilderness south of Highway 8. I've been fishing this area my entire life. Marinette, Oconto, Forest, Florence, Langlade and Lincoln all have areas I'd call wilderness, many of them south of Hwy 8. Might not be as vast as Canada or the U.P., but it's still wilderness. And whether the Driftless fits your definition of wilderness or not doesn't change the fact that it should be protected at all costs.

As far as convicing 70% of the country goes, I know it'll never happen. But the rate we're going by the time I'm on my death bed we won't have shit left.
s.t.fanatic
#22 Posted : Thursday, July 06, 2017 12:22:21 PM

[quote As far as convicing 70% of the country goes, I know it'll never happen. But the rate we're going by the time I'm on my death bed we won't have shit left.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. This "Habitat Improvement" bullshit has to stop. There was another project finished recently that was on already good water that I enjoyed fishing. The banks on other streams are in much worse shape yet they ruined this stretch of stream anyway. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and fished it a couple of time before coming to a hard conclusion on the water. I fished it when it was bright and clear = Shitty fishing. I fished it when it was overcast and cloudy = Shitty fishing. Not to mention the trout fishing experience being ruined forever. Pool after pool of the exact same boring bullshit. I even took my 16 year old son with one time and he wanted to go somewhere else after fishing the third identical looking pool.

At the rate it is going by the time my knees, hips, and back keep me off of the water, my son won't have shit left to fish.
Gurth
#23 Posted : Thursday, July 06, 2017 12:40:38 PM

I think that "wilderness" can be found in surprisingly small places. I certainly find it, even just outside of Madison in little vignettes.

Semantics aside – this transmission line will happen if the right interests (donors) have the right ears (bought and paid for politicians) - whether we (trout fisherman and Driftless residents) want it to or not.

Whether it's needed or not will likely have very little bearing if the right pockets have been lined.

Unfortunately, the current powers that be seem to find little intrinsic value in the environment. If it can't be commoditized, then it isn't valuable. This is why I was pleased with the report that came out showing how much money Driftless trout fishing brings in. Maybe they will see this and see the value in what's here.

Of course, they still passed the high capacity well bill…

Anyway, if the transmission line is actually needed though, then a compromise should be found. I'd run it along Hwy 18. The vistas and views aren't that great there and you're already on a highway, so beauty is only so deep. 18 would certainly be better than running it through actually beautiful valleys.

I bike the route along 18 and the sections that run next to the road won't be any less pretty with the addition of power lines. The serenity and beauty are already compromised by the din of traffic and the "scenery" of a 4 lane highway.

Designate an industrial corridor or whatever you want to call it and leave the rest of the area alone as much as possible.

To be honest, I don't even see the high capacity lines that go through Madison anymore. They just blend in now.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
NBrevitz
#24 Posted : Thursday, July 06, 2017 4:43:45 PM

Guillermo wrote:
NBrevitz wrote:
Guillermo wrote:
I'm against any further marring of our wilderness. Preserving the undescribable beauty of the Driftless outweighs any benefits this project may provide. It's high time we started making some sacrifices in our standard of living to protect what we have left. Otherwise, where does it end? There will always be another project around the corner.

I agree, but good luck convincing 70 % of the country that. Also, I love the Driftless but it's nothing close to wilderness. The only stuff in WI I'd consider even borderline wilderness is north of Hwy 8, at least until you get east of Rhinelander.

Speaking as a Wisconsin native, there's plenty of wilderness south of Highway 8. I've been fishing this area my entire life. Marinette, Oconto, Forest, Florence, Langlade and Lincoln all have areas I'd call wilderness, many of them south of Hwy 8. Might not be as vast as Canada or the U.P., but it's still wilderness. And whether the Driftless fits your definition of wilderness or not doesn't change the fact that it should be protected at all costs.

As far as convicing 70% of the country goes, I know it'll never happen. But the rate we're going by the time I'm on my death bed we won't have shit left.

That's why I mentioned Rhinelander. Marinette and Forest County are pretty wild, no doubt about it.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
weiliwen
#25 Posted : Thursday, July 06, 2017 5:28:54 PM

"Designate an industrial corridor or whatever you want to call it and leave the rest of the area alone as much as possible."
Gurth, that is a very interesting idea! Route all pipelines, main power lines, highways, through that place and leave the rest well enough alone.

Your avatar, though, is really disturbing!Blink
Gurth
#26 Posted : Thursday, July 06, 2017 6:02:12 PM

weiliwen wrote:

Your avatar, though, is really disturbing!Blink

It's there to keep me humble. BigGrin
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!